Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Old 08-18-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Societal shift towards annoyance over customer satisfaction [was BB]

are they trying to get people to stop coming IN and just use their online store or what?

Yesterday I bought ONE item... i wasn't hassled about the product replacement plan as it was just a video game... if i had been I might have snapped.

They first asked if I had their card so I could save money, I said no and I don't want one. They then asked if i wanted to open a new account and save 10%, I said no. They then informed me that i was lucky enough to qualify for 8 free issues of some magazines. Which one (not do you) want? No I don't want either. THEN just when I think I'm done they insist on getting my phone number... all this before I could even get a total on my bill.

Are they trying to keep me out of the store? Cause I sure as heck don't want to go back after all that hassle.

I was a bit pissed off already as I was greeted by a $3500 refridgerator upon entering the store... why might a fridge cost so much? It had a television mounted in the door... what is wrong with people.

Last edited by moorehed; 08-18-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 232 Likes on 187 Posts
Has become????
Old 08-18-04, 01:27 PM
Banned

Yeah, they did that to me last time I bought something there. I was holding my credit card out too, which made it more annoying. When she got to the magazines, I said "just ring up the ****ing purchase already" and that ended that. She didn't ask for my phone number.

I went back this weekend since I was in the area, and every sales guy in the place was wearing a black t-shirt that read "Geek Squad" on the front. I almost snapped when guy comes up and asks me if I needed help when I was looking through the video games. Thankfully, the urge to kill faded and many lives were spared.
Old 08-18-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Otto
Yeah, they did that to me last time I bought something there. I was holding my credit card out too, which made it more annoying. When she got to the magazines, I said "just ring up the ****ing purchase already" and that ended that. She didn't ask for my phone number.
Be nice to the workers. They have to ask that crap if they want to keep their jobs.
Old 08-18-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This should be in the Store Forum.

As a long-time member you should know that by now.
Old 08-18-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Give this man a deputy mod sticker!
Old 08-18-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
They are becoming what Radio Shack used to be--which was, high-pressure sales, names and addresses, and...RSVP!
Old 08-18-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That phone number bullshit drives me crazy. I bought something from Circuit City and they asked me for my number. I said, "I'd rather not give that out." She said, "It won't be used for telemarketing or anything." I said, "I don't want to give it you." She said, "I have to have it."

Excuse me? You HAVE to have it? You won't sell me the several hundred dollar item I'm buying without getting my phone number?

Fine. So I gave her a fake number. Do you live at "123 Wherever"? No. She kind of gave a little huff and then finished the transaction.

It's getting to the point where all stores pull this shit. Best Buy, Circuit City, even Toys R Us. I bought a video game there recently and was asked for my number. The difference being that they accepted that I didn't want to give it out.
Old 08-18-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
Has become????
&

We were at the Best Buy out there in Burbank buying a couple $5.99 DVD's, and there was this guy in front of us buying a small vac and these two girls were like "ganging up" on him, pressuring him and asking these questions, and he started actually showing signs of stress (sighing, looking at the ceiling and hem-hawing), and we (Treesa & I) felt so sorry for the guy that we both spoke up and said, "You don't have to give them any information if you don't want to...", and he said, "Yeah I know, what's this all about anyway?", but they kept on grilling him for his name, address, phone number & zip code.

They said it was because he bought an extended warranty thing and if he ever lost his receipt it would be in the system. Well that's all fine & good, but if you don't want to give your info and you say that, that should be the end of it. I said, "He looks pretty responsible, I'd even trust him with keeping MY receipts".

I mean, as long as he keeps his receipt, he wouldn't have any problem returning it...but they were SO friggin' relentless, he nearly walked out of the store, but he said he really needed the product, so he finally gave it to them just to get out of the damn store.

Poor Dude. &

Needless to say we didn't give out out info, phone number or zip code...

Not to mention that "Cash" is an obstacle there. I mean, we actually have to HUNT for a line that takes cash.

What an ABSOLUTE PAIN IN THE ARSE Best Buys IS.

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-18-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I always just tell a store I do not want to give it out and they move on.
Old 08-18-04, 01:45 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Toys R Us has asked for the phone # for years and years.

But the magazine business drives me nuts too. If Best Buy sold a "Do Not Hassle" button for $5, so they wouldn't bother me with all their extra crap, I'd buy it in a New York Minute.
Old 08-18-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

can't be as bad as radio shack asking for DNA samples when you want to buy batteries.
Old 08-18-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I almost snapped when guy comes up and asks me if I needed help when I was looking through the video games. Thankfully, the urge to kill faded and many lives were spared.
&
Old 08-18-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
My zip code has been 90210 and my phone has been 919-867-5309 for years. Silly teenagers never get it and type it in anyways.
Old 08-18-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Give this man a deputy mod sticker!
Here, you can have back that incident where you ruined your pinky cuz you were drunk

Or maybe you just want some more Tarantino
Old 08-18-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by al_bundy
can't be as bad as radio shack asking for DNA samples when you want to buy batteries.

So THAT'S why the guy scratched my hand with his thumbnail when he was giving me my change!

THEEK! Indeed!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-18-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, you're just hilarious. Good to know that you're just a ray of sunshine in real life like you are around here.
Old 08-18-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally posted by Dabaomb
This should be in the Store Forum.

As a long-time member you should know that by now.
HOLY CRAP!

Theres a Store Forum?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-18-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
HOLY CRAP!

Theres a Store Forum?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, there's a forum for practically everything at DVDTalk.com
Old 08-18-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
No wonder ive never noticed it...I just saw on teh drop down that its right above book talk
Old 08-18-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Edit King

Not to mention that "Cash" is an obstacle there. I mean, we actually have to HUNT for a line that takes cash.

What an ABSOLUTE PAIN IN THE ARSE Best Buys IS.

THEEK!
Huh?? That's one I've never heard before. Nobody uses cash in California anymore?
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
This reminds me of a man that was complaining when i worked at Target because he didn't want to give his birthdate on an age restricted item.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dabaomb

Yes, there's a forum for practically everything at DVDTalk.com
Except politics and caption this
Old 08-18-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

radio shack actually stopped doing that crap. they had an add campagn basically saying "we've stopped being the most annoying store in the world"
Old 08-18-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this thread is not about a store, but a sociotal shift towards annoyance over customer satisfaction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.