Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy has become the most annoying store ever...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't get rude to the clerks unless/until they're rude to me, I know they're just 'doing their job'.
But I do usually say 'I don't give it [my phone number] out' or 'I don't have one.'
Have to try giving 555-1212, see what that comes up as.
That magazine shilling is annoying to; the RZ card at least is relevant to my shopping at Best Buy, and can be a useful add on if you shop there a lot.
If you pay with a credit card, they should be able to track it with that--and you're probably less likely to change credit card numbers than phone numbers.
Isn't that fridge with the tv just sad? First, if you have to watch that much tv, you're kind of pathetic. Secondly, if you do want to watch tv in the kitchen [my wife does, while shes cooking] shouldnt it be on the counter or somewhere? Are you going to stand there and stare at the fridge all night? I'm waiting for the useful fridge technology, the thing that keeps an inventory of what's in your fridge and prints out or sends a grocery list to your email, I could go for that.
Old 08-18-04, 01:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
This reminds me of a man that was complaining when i worked at Target because he didn't want to give his birthdate on an age restricted item.

I just make up a date when they ask for these things. I figure that they'll never know the difference anyway.
Old 08-18-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fumanstan
This reminds me of a man that was complaining when i worked at Target because he didn't want to give his birthdate on an age restricted item.
that would be a pretty different situation

When I had lame jobs that made me run through a lists like that I was fine with being interrupted by people who knew what I was going to say (as long as they didn't get ticked later about what I left out after being interrupted).
Old 08-18-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
Huh?? That's one I've never heard before. Nobody uses cash in California anymore?
We do!

Apart from a Debit here or there...we use cash ALL the time and we LIKE it! &

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-18-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-18-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Dead
I just make up a date when they ask for these things. I figure that they'll never know the difference anyway.
Yeah, its no big deal except the man made a big stink out of it (which was completely unnecessary).

I know its a different situation, like i said, it just reminds me of it. If its that bothersome, just make up a number rather then stand there with your arms folded and a scowl in your face trying to be defiant.
Old 08-18-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Radio shack now asks "what phone plan do you have?" or "what cell phone are you using?". I always say "I dont know, something, i'm fine with it" and they do a snotty huff and say "you dont KNOW what your phone plan is?" I respond, "Look, its a feaking phone, no one ever calls me on it, Let me buy my resistors in peace!"
Old 08-18-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DaveNinja
Let me buy my resistors in peace!"
You should tell them , "What do you think I'm buying these for? I'm building my own damn phone!"
Old 08-18-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work with every consumer electronics chain on some level, and I can tell you that I pity the Best Buy employee more than anyone else. I'm not asking anyone else to, as I know that there are other jobs available to them, but it really is a shame what they have to go through.

I looked on during a printer sale a couple of months ago. The salesperson was being "graded" by his supervisor. He sold the printer, then had to press for a USB cable (gold-plated, of course), ink (attempted to sell several of each), paper, and the service plan. He then had to make sure the customer knew that all of this would be much easier to swallow with financing through Best Buy. Then came the Rewards program, Rhapsody, and NetFlix. This was prior to the customer going to the register for service plan attempt #2, Best Buy card attempt #2, and the magazine subscriptions.

Best Buy has long become a parody of itself. The sad thing is that with the success of Best Buy comes the chains that wish to emulate them and their profits. Commission sales people will pressure you, but usually to the point at which they know where to stop. This isn't true in the non-commission big boxes, and I expect to see more of it as time goes on.
Old 08-18-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by weargle
My zip code has been 90210 and my phone has been 919-867-5309 for years. Silly teenagers never get it and type it in anyways.
That should raise all kinds of red flags. Everyone knows the area code for 90210 is 310, not 919...
Old 08-18-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate when best buy always offers me the magazines, but they have never asked me for my phone number. Whats that number that says you have been dumped? I'll give that from now on.
Old 08-18-04, 04:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The "what's your phone number" question popped up a few times when I checked out at BB. What's up with it? Why the heck did they want my number for when I was only buying a couple of DVDs? I usually give the answer "I don't have one".
Old 08-18-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every time I go to buy something at Radio Shack - ANY Radio Shack - without fail, the salesperson jokes, "You want a projection TV with that?" or "You want a satellite dish with that?" or some other big ticket item, followed by a laugh.

It wasn't funny the first time.

At Best Buy, when they ask if I'll be putting it on my Best Buy credit card, I tell them the truth: "No, I can't, they closed my account." The clerk is usually so surprised at such an answer they don't say anything else during the rest of the transaction.
Old 08-18-04, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Roto
Yeah, you're just hilarious. Good to know that you're just a ray of sunshine in real life like you are around here.
Hey, I do what I can.
Old 08-18-04, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TracerBullet
Be nice to the workers. They have to ask that crap if they want to keep their jobs.
I know. I worked at Best Buy once upon a time. Nobody was nice then, I see no reason to be nice now. And frankly, there are better jobs elsewhere. My advice to the BB drones: Go to Circuit City or something. Really. Selling on commission is better than having to put up with the wacky BB corporate craziness.
Old 08-18-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
I looked on during a printer sale a couple of months ago. The salesperson was being "graded" by his supervisor. He sold the printer, then had to press for a USB cable (gold-plated, of course), ink (attempted to sell several of each), paper, and the service plan. He then had to make sure the customer knew that all of this would be much easier to swallow with financing through Best Buy. Then came the Rewards program, Rhapsody, and NetFlix. This was prior to the customer going to the register for service plan attempt #2, Best Buy card attempt #2, and the magazine subscriptions.
That's just unacceptable. Whenever I get some item like that, I just immediately walk away to the register if they start asking that crap.
Old 08-18-04, 07:45 PM

We're on page 2 and Tarantino hasn't stepped in to 'spin' how this really means that Best Buy is the best. store. evar.? For shame....
Old 08-18-04, 07:47 PM

I find it funny BB near me has their best looking female associate walking around giving out credit card applications.

I also say NO NO NO to those stupid Entertainment Weekly/Sports Illustrated they give out at the registers - yet a few weeks after my last purchase I began to get EW with a bill attached - unreal.
Old 08-18-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tell them, "Sorry, I don't like entertainment or sports."
Old 08-18-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

regarding CASH at Best Buy. on Black Friday last year i bought a new computer at BB and i took out my cash and everyone looked stunned. the funny part is they had NO CASH in their registers to give me change. NO CASH ON BLACK FRIDAY??? i had to wait 10 minutes while they got money to stock the drawer.
Old 08-18-04, 11:36 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I just tell them, "Sorry, I don't like entertainment or sports."
I simply tell them that I don't read magazines. I just can't stand those "what's your phone number" questions.
Old 08-19-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why don't you just tell them that you are illiterate, and that is why you always do all of your shopping right there in K-Mart?
Old 08-19-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I've worked a few chain stores in the past (mainly ones that sell/rent video/DVD and music etc.) as well as a very short stint at a movie theatre. Each of these places usually had some upsell shit that I didn't agree with knowing how much it bugs me as a customer. For example, one of the places I worked for had this three step plan for selling they wanted their employees to follow:

1) Just say "Hi": Wander up to each person who walks in the store and just say hello...sometimes do it more then once.

2) Buy or die: Notice what they are looking at and get them to buy it or...ummm....die.

3) Stack 'em High: Get them to purchase as much crap as you can before they leave

Lordy, I hated that shit as, to me, if I walk into a store I usually know what I am there for.

The movie theatre was the worse because you were graded on how much UPSELL you did. The Video store was all about getting them to get gift passes or snack combos.

I was good at flying under the rader when it came to this stuff, generally, as I hate pushing stuff onto people who just want to get their shit and get out of there. I tend to go to smaller places now, indy rental stores and used book stores to avoid the stuff from the larger chain stores.

One of the best ones was when I registered once at Blockbuster they asked me if I rented at a Rogers Video. When I told them that was none of their business they told me they needed it for a survey. Needless to say, I was very polite about saying "Yes, I do rent there and, in fact, I think I will go there right now."

I certainly don't like treating CSRs badly because I know it is their job but certain things get me so irate I generally just leave.
Old 08-19-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Funk
We're on page 2 and Tarantino hasn't stepped in to 'spin' how this really means that Best Buy is the best. store. evar.? For shame....
Old 08-19-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Otto
When she got to the magazines, I said "just ring up the ****ing purchase already" and that ended that. She didn't ask for my phone number.

I really don't believe that you would have actaully said that. IMO, using profanity toward either party is not appropriate. I'll assume you were joking.

In regards to your other post about
having them go to Circuit City, I am
pretty sure they eliminated their commission structure in order to try and compete with BB.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe there is little difference between BB and Circuit City
at this point.
Old 08-19-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
regarding CASH at Best Buy. on Black Friday last year i bought a new computer at BB and i took out my cash and everyone looked stunned. the funny part is they had NO CASH in their registers to give me change. NO CASH ON BLACK FRIDAY??? i had to wait 10 minutes while they got money to stock the drawer.
In all fairness, using cash to buy a new computer does sound weird.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.