Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Bestbuy.com - No more free shipping?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-11-04, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went to bestbuy.com to redeem the $5 digital dollars I received from the Hidalgo DVD offer, and noticed I was being charged for shipping (no option for free shipping anywhere). The slogan on the front page says "why pay for shipping?" with a link to free store pick-up (it used to say something about Free shipping on on-line purchases).

If this is a permanent change, and I have to pay both sales tax AND shipping, they've pretty much lost my business. I only shop BB for the occasional DVD offer (3/$20), games and other items that aren't available elsewhere with free shipping. Urgh.
Old 08-11-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, it looks like DDD will get more of my money.
BB can shove it.
No Free Shipping = No Sale
Old 08-11-04, 07:37 PM

It looks like they now charge $1.25 shipping per DVD (I originally had 3 DVDs in my cart for the 3/$20 sale and ground shipping was $3.75). If it's the same for games, that's not outrageous, but for DVDs, I'd rather shop DDD (free ship, no tax), Digitaleyes (great CS, free ship on >3) or Amazon (STL, no tax and free ship >$25).

As previously mentioned, can't think of a reason to continue shopping at BB if they charge both shipping AND tax. IMHO, their CS has always been lousey.
Old 08-11-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by island007
Wow, it looks like DDD will get more of my money.
BB can shove it.
No Free Shipping = No Sale
My feeling exactly. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm cancelling my pre-order of Aladdin with them as we speak.
Old 08-11-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so they gain a couple bucks from shipping on a few orders and lose 10,20,30 dollars or more from people who cancel! good job best buy...idiots.
Old 08-11-04, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by atari2600
so they gain a couple bucks from shipping on a few orders and lose 10,20,30 dollars or more from people who cancel! good job best buy...idiots.
Exactly. Guess I won't be using those $5 digital dollars after all.
Old 08-12-04, 05:11 PM

Whew, ordered Kill Bill 2 just in time then for free shipping.
Old 08-12-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by USBrit
Exactly. Guess I won't be using those $5 digital dollars after all.
you can still use it for in-store pickup, but if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off of your hands
Old 08-14-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This will end up being a big problem when the store doesn't have it available for pickup. I think if that's the case, the shipping should be free.
Old 08-14-04, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Dabaomb
you can still use it for in-store pickup, but if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it off of your hands
That's what I ended up doing - used store pick-up and bought a PS2 game.

My husband went to pick it up (I ordered it in his name as he was going to be in that area anyway) and they didn't have a clue what to do when he got there. They took 20 minutes just to go locate the game, and then the receipt shows the full amount (doesn't even acknowledge the $5 digital dollars) so hopefully he wasn't overcharged.

Overall, the entire experience was a huge pain in the ass and it's safe to say we won't be shopping at BB again if free shipping doesn't return. Their new "store pick-up is an easy way to avoid shipping charges" policy is a joke.
Old 08-16-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by USBrit
That's what I ended up doing - used store pick-up and bought a PS2 game.

My husband went to pick it up (I ordered it in his name as he was going to be in that area anyway) and they didn't have a clue what to do when he got there. They took 20 minutes just to go locate the game, and then the receipt shows the full amount (doesn't even acknowledge the $5 digital dollars) so hopefully he wasn't overcharged.

Overall, the entire experience was a huge pain in the ass and it's safe to say we won't be shopping at BB again if free shipping doesn't return. Their new "store pick-up is an easy way to avoid shipping charges" policy is a joke.
just for future reference, Best Buy has a Gamer's Coupon on the video game gift cards that they sell (they're black). The coupon is for $5 Off any game or accessory that's $19.95 or higher. I usually use this on game's that have been dropped to $19.95.
Old 08-16-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For people that tend to want to buy tons of $20 items or tend to own TV set ups worth 100's, DVD buyers are a bunch of cheapskates when it comes to shipping. Just spend the $1.25. If you were using BB instead of DDD before, BB (everyones most hated company here but people still keep using them) must have had some reason to use them. Does $1.25 somehow invalidate the benefits of BB.
Old 08-16-04, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by resinrats
For people that tend to want to buy tons of $20 items or tend to own TV set ups worth 100's, DVD buyers are a bunch of cheapskates when it comes to shipping. Just spend the $1.25. If you were using BB instead of DDD before, BB (everyones most hated company here but people still keep using them) must have had some reason to use them. Does $1.25 somehow invalidate the benefits of BB.
Well I'm not sure if your comment applies to me or not, but IMHO the only real benefit of BB.com was free shipping on small purchases (especially non DVD items). BB.com was usually just my last resort for DVDs N/A from CH (w/digital dollars usually cheaper than DDD), the occasional movie sale, games (extremely limited selection at DDD and Amazon charges shipping + tax) or music N/A from iTunes or DDCD. If I'm going to spend >$25, then I'll just shop at Amazon (better CS/no tax) but BB.com was useful for small purchases of items other than DVDs.

It's not about being a cheapskate (perhaps it is! ), it's just that they've eliminated the one reason I suspect alot of people used their site. If I have to pay both 8.25% tax AND shipping (or go to the store for pick-up), why bother?

Dabaomb - Thanks very much for the tip, that's good to know (if we ever have another BB gift card to spend). Otherwise, now that I've spent my last digital dollars, it's back to DDD, ebgames and gamespot for me. Even before my husband's fun time with store pick-up the other day, just getting into and parking at the BB store by us is a nightmare.
Old 08-17-04, 12:50 PM

I don't pay sales tax AND shipping. This is why I will not use bestbuy.com unless I plan on picking the item up at the store.
Old 08-17-04, 10:24 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It looks like free shipping has already ended.
Old 08-17-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For people that tend to want to buy tons of $20 items or tend to own TV set ups worth 100's, DVD buyers are a bunch of cheapskates when it comes to shipping. Just spend the $1.25. .... Does $1.25 somehow invalidate the benefits of BB.
It's not being a cheapskate - it's not as if we're squirreling the saved money away in a jar and spending less - we are trying to maximize the number of DVDs we can get for our DVD budget.

And yes, on low-priced DVDs (and more and more DVDs are being sold in the $6-10 range), add $1.25 plus sales tax, and BestBuy suddenly can be 10-15% more expensive than DDD. Or to put it another way, saving $1.25 on 8 DVDs leaves me with an extra $10 to spend on another DVD. Since I buy anywhere from 20-30 DVDs a month, NOT shopping at BestBuy means I get a couple of extra DVDs each month at no extra cost.
Old 08-18-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does $1.25 somehow invalidate the benefits of BB.
Yes, it negates any benefit shopping at bb.com had.
Old 08-19-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so if you need gas and one station was selling a gallon of regular for 3.00 but 1 across the street was selling it for 2.00 would you just say "who cares, it's only an extra 1.00 a gallon"? I see nothing wrong with wanting to maximize every dollar spent.
Old 08-19-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Generally, when shopping online i've come to expect a shipping cost, and having free shipping is just an extra benefit when i can get it. I suppose its different when you're only spending 20 dollars or so on a DVD, but i've accustomed to buying computer hardware online and am used to paying 5-10 bucks for shipping depending on the item. Of course, i'll ususally just go to a B&M for DVDs since the savings i get on other things are ususally much bigger online then with DVDs.
Old 08-21-04, 02:22 AM

I am bummed about getting rid of the free shipping.

There is actually a BB nearby and I can save shipping by doing the in-store pickup. But the problem is I did a in-store pickup once and they were absolutely retarded. Three people couldn't figure out how to process an in-store pickup ordered from bb.com.

Ugggh!!!
Old 08-21-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a best buy nearby as well (like 10mins?) but i'm too f'kin lazy to drive there lol
Old 08-29-04, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Generally, when shopping online i've come to expect a shipping cost, and having free shipping is just an extra benefit when i can get it. I suppose its different when you're only spending 20 dollars or so on a DVD, but i've accustomed to buying computer hardware online and am used to paying 5-10 bucks for shipping depending on the item. Of course, i'll ususally just go to a B&M for DVDs since the savings i get on other things are ususally much bigger online then with DVDs.
$5 to $10 shipping on computer items? Not where I shop online, free 2nd day delivery! Heck, I am not even charged sales tax.

I'll pay the tax if I have to, but i am not paying shipping on top of that if there is no need to.

For games, I can shop online at EBGames and Gamestop and not pay shipping. For DVD's there's Deep Discount who will see my purchases increase, as well as amazon and their STL.

For computer items, I let ZipZoomFly.com be my friend. That's basically where everything for my last PC that I built came from. Nice prices, free 2nd day shipping and no tax.
Old 09-02-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I won't be doing any online shopping with this company until they reinstate free shipping (no Best Buy in my area, so in-store pickup isn't an option)... and based on the customer service I've received from them in the past, it won't be any great loss.
Old 09-03-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Best Buy has taken free shipping away before. With the holiday season coming up I would guess if they see their sales are down and if other online stores such as DDD and Amazon (over $25 for free shipping) don't also start charging for shipping , Best Buy will reverse the no free shipping. Its like the airlines, if one raises prices and the other don't follow, the raised price is reversed.
Old 09-03-04, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Classic Films
Best Buy has taken free shipping away before. With the holiday season coming up I would guess if they see their sales are down and if other online stores such as DDD and Amazon (over $25 for free shipping) don't also start charging for shipping , Best Buy will reverse the no free shipping. Its like the airlines, if one raises prices and the other don't follow, the raised price is reversed.
I like your theory but given that DDD and Amazon rely on internet sales as a LARGE part of their revenues. They will not do anything to upset consumers. Whereas, BestBuy's online business is probably a much smaller portion of their revenues. (I don't know the % points). They are more inclined to squeeze other sales channels to maximize profits.

We'll have to wait and see what they do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.