Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart DVD Rental?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Walmart DVD Rental?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart DVD Rental?

Has anyone here rented from the Walmart DVD rental club? Any opinions would be great! Thank you!
Old 07-10-04, 12:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
It depends how far you are away from a distribution center.

I tried it and it usually took a little over a week from when I mailed a dvd back and got the next one.
Old 07-19-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just signed up for the 30-day free trial. I will report back my experience.
So far, I have queued up Babylon 5 "The Gathering" and Babylon 5 Season 1. Let's see how it works, and hey it's 30 days free!

BTW, I have been with Netflix for almost 3 years, and I plan on staying with them. I'll most likely cancel Walmart eventually, but I want to supplement my summer viewing habit while there's not much good on TV.
Old 07-20-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tried the free trial out of curiosity. It worked pretty well with about a 2-3 day turnaround on titles. I had a distribution center in the same state (NY) so that may affect delivery times. Netflix is a little faster I think.
Old 07-21-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
It depends how far you are away from a distribution center.

I tried it and it usually took a little over a week from when I mailed a dvd back and got the next one.
Wow, that's really bad. Especially from such a large market. I have had nothing but a good experience. I decided to extend it a month. Turn around time for me is two days, actually what is defined as turn around time in this case? It takes two days for the DVD to get to me once they email me that it has shipped. and it depends on if the Post Office tracks the package or not but they usually ship the next one the day after I stick it in the mail.
Old 07-21-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
Wow, that's really bad. Especially from such a large market. I have had nothing but a good experience. I decided to extend it a month. Turn around time for me is two days, actually what is defined as turn around time in this case? It takes two days for the DVD to get to me once they email me that it has shipped. and it depends on if the Post Office tracks the package or not but they usually ship the next one the day after I stick it in the mail.
Turn around time is from the time you ship the dvd until you have another dvd in your hand. I'm sure you realize that is one of those the post office neglects to track is lost (they're supposed to track them all) YOU are on the hook to pay for it.
Old 07-21-04, 02:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
Wow, that's really bad.
Yeah. Their nearest distribution center is in Minneapolis.
Old 07-22-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
They have a decent selection, esp. of new releases (not so much obscure titles), but I'm planning to switch back to Netflix since the turnaround is so much faster.
Old 07-22-04, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

anyone know where the walmart distribution centers are located at?
Old 07-27-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by gmike
Arkansas
California
Georgia
Indiana
Johnstown, NY
Nevada
Macclenny, FL

from
http://www.portable-dvd-player.ws/Ar...bution-Centers
That's strange. I'm in central FL yet the DVD ship from GA.
Old 08-08-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turnaround time is teh suck. I am gonna stick with Netflix. My distribution center is local, as both they and I are in the Washington DC area. Their turnaround time is around 6-7 days. Netflix has a consistent 2 day turn.
Old 08-08-04, 08:01 PM

i just singed up for this today but it seems that some of the titles are fullscreen only.
Old 08-09-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I was trying to say, both Netflix and Walmart have distribution centers in the DC area. Netflix has a 2 day turn, Walmart has a 6-7 day turn.
But I do remember in the early day of Netflix, when all the titles were shipped out of San Jose. There was a bit of a longer turn time. But for Walmart to be shipping out of Hagerstown, MD, there's really no excuse for being so slow.
I guess Netflix has had time to get it down to an exact science. They are very good and efficient.
Old 08-13-04, 02:14 PM

I just canceled my 30 day trial last week. I live in Indiana and it would take a minimum of 3 days for them to receive my returns and up to 6 days(on two occasions) for me to receive dvds from them(after they had received my returned dvds), minimum was 3 days. Plus they sent me the wrong disc out of a 4 disc set, reported the problem and sent it back.

A week and a half later, nothing, emailed them and they said they never received it, and said they would send the correct one out once they do. Never happened, and the one I wanted, that I never recieved, still didn't leave my rented out list. Way to much hassle for a distribution center being so close to me(4 hours away).

Edit: Not only that, but some of the dvds I wanted, "Notorious Cho,I'm the want that I want"(not obscure dvds), the website said they were in stock, but mysteriously every time it came time to send me new ones out, they went on a very long wait. Once they sent out different dvds, those two would miraculously return to available now.

Last edited by Galanthas; 08-13-04 at 02:19 PM.