Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Reward Zone Renewal

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-15-04, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When making a purchase today, they asked me if I wanted to renew my membership (which is expiring 7/31) for $9.95. Last year, they offered me a free membership to join and Iím wondering if they will be offering me a free renewal in a snail mail offer.

If I wait this out, will they offer another freebie (or maybe some bonus points for renewing)? What has happened with you guys who had expiring memberships?
Old 06-15-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I have no similar experience, but I sure wouldn't renew this early. I would think the longer you wait, and the more you have spent this year, the more likely you'd be to get either a free renewal or some bonus of some kind.
Old 06-15-04, 02:25 PM

Of course, thatís why I didnít renew. But I'm curious if I'm waiting in vain for an offer that isnít going to come.
Old 06-15-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt they are going to give us (those that got it free) another free year. For the amount I got back in the last year I'll definitely be renewing my account.
Old 06-15-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $10 renewal fee is peanuts to the Reward Certificates I received the past year. Great program!
Old 06-15-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how much have folks gotten back?
I know some people have timed their HDTV/HomeTheater purchases to take advantage of it.
I've only gotten 25 bucks back, and my purchase from Mem Day weekend should get me another 5 dollars. I paid for my membership, but I still netted a 'profit' [and I didn't pay more for stuff at BB just to get points].
Old 06-15-04, 03:56 PM

If I were BB, Iíd offer freebie renewals to RZ members who made good use of their card. Why encourage a customer that spent X amount of $ís last year to go shop somewhere else???

I earned $100 in certificates.
Old 06-15-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I got about $30 or $35 back from my Reward Zone card, which I got for free. So even if I had paid for it, it would've made sense to have one. BUT...I had to call multiple times and fight for a bunch of those certificates, because they didn't mail them to me. (Actually, they claimed they mailed them to someone else or something -- who knows? All I know is they didn't come to me until I called and complained.) So I don't think I'll be renewing. Just too much trouble dealing with them. Plus, my DVD purchases are slowing down, so I doubt I'd earn as many certificates this year as I did last.
Old 06-15-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone had to fight to get credit after a sale?

My example:

Bought an $800 home theater system which they wrang up wrong. Had to void it out and the guy forgot to scan the card on the next transaction. I have all my receipts. Just wondering who to call and what anyone's experience have been in this situation.
Old 06-16-04, 12:31 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by indianajdp
Anyone had to fight to get credit after a sale?

My example:

Bought an $800 home theater system which they wrang up wrong. Had to void it out and the guy forgot to scan the card on the next transaction. I have all my receipts. Just wondering who to call and what anyone's experience have been in this situation.
Easy. Go to www.myrewardzone.com and log in. Click on "contact us" and fill up the form along with the details on the receipt (date, store number, transaction number, ...). They will credit it back to you account. Also, you can call them up. The number is in the website.
Old 06-16-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dtcarson
$80 back so far with another $10 in the mail.
Old 06-16-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just and FYI on this....

I went and purchased items last week on Thursday I believe and was asked if I wanted to renew then and agreed and had the $9.99 fee charged to my order. I went back to BestBuy on Monday and was still being asked if I wanted to renew. Just make sure if you paid once that your clerk doesn't try to add it again. I'm assuming that it takes some time for the computer to recognize that you've already paid and to update your account in their database. I've saved my receipt that has the renewal fee on it just in case.
Old 06-16-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dtcarson
Almost $200 since last July.
Old 06-16-04, 11:04 AM

As many of you have posted, the RZ program is a no-brainer. I have received over $100 in certificates this past year even though my card was free. Even with a $10 fee this program is worth it.

Just yesterday, I used one of my $10 certificates to pay for the renewal. So if some of you are complaining about the fee this year, just use your certificates to pay for the renewal!

That way the RZ card still is free!
Old 06-16-04, 05:15 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvdirv
That way the RZ card still is free!
But then you lost that $10 cert that you could have applied on another purchase. So, you still ended up paying $10 for it
Old 06-16-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by eau
But then you lost that $10 cert that you could have applied on another purchase. So, you still ended up paying $10 for it
TANSTAAFL.
Old 06-16-04, 10:51 PM
Cool New Member

What and how much are you people buying at best buy to get $200~ back?
Old 06-17-04, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by TimRP
IIRC, my wife and I have gotten $95 back. In the "large expense" area, we have bought a digital camera, photo printer, and refrigerator. (I think we're still waiting for the certificates from the fridge.)

In the "not-so-large-expense" area, we have bought some DVDs, including the Stargate SG-1 Seasons 1-4. This was back when they had the promotion giving large bonus points for such purchases. I think the SG-1 S1-4 deal ended up being 16,000 points for the purchase price ($40 each set) plus 30,000 bonus points.

The key to making this deal work is to make sure you get your money's worth out of the certificates, which is often difficult. At the most recent coupon sale, I bought:

$83.99 Babylon 5 Season 4
-08.40 10% coupon
-75.00 RZ Certificates
--------
$00.59+tax Final cost
Old 06-17-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TimRP
Large ticket items really rack up the points for me: 19" LCD monitor ($650), Digital camcorder ($1200), computer stuff, etc. as well as blank discs, games, etc. that are on the weekly specials. I preorder most of my DVD's through DVDEmpire because I like to get them early and I'm too lazy to make the trip to BB for those, so I would have a hell of a lot more rewards if I did that.
Old 06-17-04, 12:00 PM

Earned 130 in a year myself. Didnt get a free renewal, but did get this in an email from Best Buy:

Get 3 months FREE
when you renew your membership for $9.99 by 6/26/04.**

CASHIER INSTRUCTIONS: Review coupon expiration date. Scan coupon UPC. Scan membership card barcode.Renew customer. Scan all other products being sold. Press "Total." Write VOID on coupon and place in register media file.

*If you do not renew your membership by the expiration date above, your account will become inactive and the points on your membership account that day will be forfeited. Once your account is inactive, you will no longer earn points on your purchases.

**Present this coupon and your membership card to the cashier at time of purchase. If member renews with this coupon before 6/26/04, their new expiration date will be 10/31/05 for a 15-month membership period. Not valid in combination with any other offers or on prior purchases. Redeem in-store only; only on in-stock items. Cash value of 1/100 of 1 cent. Coupon valid 6/14/04 - 6/26/04. Limit one renewal offer per membership per transaction.
Old 06-18-04, 02:19 AM

I'd say I have received about $130 in Reward Certificates. Had to pay for my membership though, wonder why they never offered me a free membership.
Old 06-18-04, 12:38 PM

My card will expire in July, but I will probably hold off untill I make a larger purchase before rejoining the Reward Zone. I have mostly been buying dvd's and have earned $45 with another $10 on the way. I have been finding BB DVD prices aren't as competitive lately and I can save more cash then I would be earning in certificates elsewhere.
Old 06-18-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Thirsty
My card will expire in July, but I will probably hold off untill I make a larger purchase before rejoining the Reward Zone. I have mostly been buying dvd's and have earned $45 with another $10 on the way. I have been finding BB DVD prices aren't as competitive lately and I can save more cash then I would be earning in certificates elsewhere.
Bingo! The meager amounts of cash, the delay to get it and the aggravation of shopping there will keep me from paying for this card.