Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount DVD Code and Aftermath

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount DVD Code and Aftermath

Old 06-12-04, 08:21 AM
  #251  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Western PA, Central Florida
Posts: 1,930
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are so many people whining? So far 10 pages, mainly of whining??? They had a glitch. Get over it.

DDD could have cancelled all orders but it appears those put through prior to about 9 AM Thursday went through the system and the discount is being honored. At that time they pulled the codes so I can't imagine anyone ordering after 9 AM EST actually saw the discount on their screen.

Orders after than were not discounted Period.

If they did get a discount, and they printed it out, I would bet it would honored.

FYI, they had no legal obligation to honor ANY of them. You saw nothing advertised by DDD of any discount.

If you don't like DDD, shop elsewhere but I'll bet you don't. You'll still go for price regardless.
kayak99 is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 08:33 AM
  #252  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 443
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There continues to be all this debate back and forth about if it's right or not for them to honor or cancel, but the bottom-line is that David Barker, a V.P. with DDD, has already committed to honoring the orders. So, at this point, customers who are being told such things as re-order if you like, and we can't find your order anymore, and we don't honor mistakes such as this, etc. etc. have every right to feel upset and betrayed. Furthermore, there is no reason a simple memo couldn't have been distributed to the CSRs explaining the situation and how to deal with it when speaking to affected customers. Instead, it appears to be the same old way of doing business that many have experienced. Everything is great about ordering from then UNTIL you have a problem. And that's where you see the true nature of any merchant - how they deal with problems. Again, a simple internal memo could have avoided so many people getting so many different stories. Also, it seems rather unlikely that some people's orders now seem to be magically disappearing days later when a) others haven't and b) if it truly were the result of system overload then it seems more likely it would have never gone through in the first place. But for it to just vanish after having already received a confirmation email and even having a CSR read it back (as some on here have mentioned) just seems wrong in more ways than one. Anf finally, something else which just doesn't make logical sense is the nature of these codes. On the one hand, we have someone claiming it wasn't a leak and they just found it on an old site and tried it and found they were still working and on the other hand, the same DDD V.P. above admitting they were testing the codes. Well, something which hasn't been mentioned yet is that obviously these can't be EXACTLY the same codes since they didn't work with pre-orders the last time. So, it can't just be something as simple as them forgetting to delete them or accidentally re-activating them as some have suggested. The fact that they worked on pre-orders this time proves that someone had to make changes to the codes. So, I am inclined to believe David Barker when he said that they were testing and there was a leak. This also makes sense as to why he would be inclined to honor the orders since a DDD employee played a part in all of this happening. But, regardless of the reason why, they have committed to honor the orders, so some of the responses, non-responses, and disappearing orders that some are starting to experience is just not right. Many would not have minded if they didn't honor the orders in the first place, considering the circumstances, but once you promise to do so, you are honor-bound to make good on that and see it through to the end.
MythSpell is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 08:40 AM
  #253  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by schbee

One thing I cant understand is how come this time everybody thinks DDD honoring the 20% discount they are losing money?, last year they offered a 20% discount and nobody thought they were losing money.
Well, the first sale was planned, so that's a large part of it. Actually, the first sale might very well have lost money for them, but I think they probably thought of it as a promotional expense -- a good way to get themselves known. The only people who knew about the second "sale" were some people who frequent Internet message boards.

I also get the impression that their regular prices are lower now than they were last Christmas, although I don't know how much that has to do with the general downturn that DVD prices are taking. Also, this sale applied to preorders (the previous one didn't), which might affect something.
icruise is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 08:49 AM
  #254  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,187
Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts
I haven't received the shipping email yet (hopefully today) but, according to my online bank statement, they've charged me at the discounted price. Looking good so far.
TomOpus is online now  
Old 06-12-04, 09:44 AM
  #255  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by MythSpell
There continues to be all this debate back and forth about if it's right or not for them to honor or cancel, but the bottom-line is that David Barker, a V.P. with DDD, has already committed to honoring the orders. So, at this point, customers who are being told such things as re-order if you like, and we can't find your order anymore, and we don't honor mistakes such as this, etc. etc. have every right to feel upset and betrayed. Furthermore, there is no reason a simple memo couldn't have been distributed to the CSRs explaining the situation and how to deal with it when speaking to affected customers. Instead, it appears to be the same old way of doing business that many have experienced. Everything is great about ordering from then UNTIL you have a problem. And that's where you see the true nature of any merchant - how they deal with problems. Again, a simple internal memo could have avoided so many people getting so many different stories. Also, it seems rather unlikely that some people's orders now seem to be magically disappearing days later when a) others haven't and b) if it truly were the result of system overload then it seems more likely it would have never gone through in the first place. But for it to just vanish after having already received a confirmation email and even having a CSR read it back (as some on here have mentioned) just seems wrong in more ways than one. Anf finally, something else which just doesn't make logical sense is the nature of these codes. On the one hand, we have someone claiming it wasn't a leak and they just found it on an old site and tried it and found they were still working and on the other hand, the same DDD V.P. above admitting they were testing the codes. Well, something which hasn't been mentioned yet is that obviously these can't be EXACTLY the same codes since they didn't work with pre-orders the last time. So, it can't just be something as simple as them forgetting to delete them or accidentally re-activating them as some have suggested. The fact that they worked on pre-orders this time proves that someone had to make changes to the codes. So, I am inclined to believe David Barker when he said that they were testing and there was a leak. This also makes sense as to why he would be inclined to honor the orders since a DDD employee played a part in all of this happening. But, regardless of the reason why, they have committed to honor the orders, so some of the responses, non-responses, and disappearing orders that some are starting to experience is just not right. Many would not have minded if they didn't honor the orders in the first place, considering the circumstances, but once you promise to do so, you are honor-bound to make good on that and see it through to the end.

Very well said. I'm one of those in the boat whose order "disappeared" and they have no record of. I was flat out lied to by a CSR, and even offered to fax in the confirmation page.

This company is pure garbage. I have had nothing but problems with them and the fact they felt no problem lying to me about my order makes me take my money somewhere else.

They said they were going to honor the orders. They didn't mine. In my own experiences, I've found this company to be everything BUT honorable.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 09:54 AM
  #256  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
fuzzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,178
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, a call to DDD this morning confirmed that, even though I received an on-screen confirmation (which I, like an idiot, did not print), my order was never received by their system.

Needless to say, I'm dissapointed, but whatever. The order was mostly impulse buys, or things I was planning on buying anyway.

What burns me more is this is the SECOND time I've been the victim of placing an order during a big sale, only to have my order just dissapear. (the other one being the huge Troma sale a few years back) I guess I'm just cursed...

-jason
fuzzbox is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 10:01 AM
  #257  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,934
Received 843 Likes on 621 Posts
1 FXD001261 DVD : DIE HARD ULTIMATE COLLECTION $ 51.24
In-stock
1 MCA025799 DVD : HAPPY GILMORE/BILLY MADISON C $ 20.40
Pre-order
1 PSX014772 PLAYSTATION 2: NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 $ 45.99
Pre-order

Merchandise Total: $ 117.63
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Handling: $ .00
Discount: - $ 23.53-

Total for this Order: $ 94.10

I made this order around 7:00 AM Thursday Morning. I only received one e-mail with the order number at the top. My Die Hard Trilogy shipped yesterday and I was charged the discounted price.

We thought you would like to know...

The item(s) listed below shipped today.

Quantity Item # Description
Price
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------------
----------
1 FXD001261 DVD : DIE HARD ULTIMATE COLLECTION SET $
51.24


Merchandise Total: $ 51.24
Tax: $ .00
Shipping & Handling: $ .00
Discount: - $ 10.25
Total for Shipped Items: $ 40.99
lwhy? is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 10:17 AM
  #258  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Western PA, Central Florida
Posts: 1,930
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have something verifiable, i.e. printed, I feel you have a case for a discount. Write them, be patient and see what might happen. Nice letters get more than nasty ones.

However, if YOU have NO record, and THEY have NO record, for them to even consider giving out discounts to satisfy customers would not work, especially given not all people seeking this adjustment would be honorable.

Can we at least agree with that one?

Or, would you rather DDD simply go out of business since some non-employee dumbass caused this whole mess.

Which by the way brings up athother point. Why is everyone so concerned they missed a chance to save a few bucks that they condemn DDD but no one seems to give a crap about the outsider who caused this whole mess?

Why not find out who he is and form a class-action lawsuit? I would wager he'll never pull this, or any stunt again.

Reminds me of the guy who complained he was overcharged by a penny at Blockbuster once.
kayak99 is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 10:30 AM
  #259  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,444
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can blame an outsider for this, unless he hacked into DDD and turned the codes on*. They shouldn't have used the same codes for internal testing that they used for last December's sale. I bet they won't make that mistake again.

*(edited to add: or if he knew it was only for internal testing, and not another sale)

JMHO,
Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 06-12-04 at 10:38 AM.
RobCA is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 10:56 AM
  #260  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 482
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I called and was told the same story as an earlier poster. We dont have your order and if you want you can place it without the discount. He said they have an internal memo and are told to not give the discount. When I read the email that DDD posted here his response was we will Honor the orders just not the discount.

And many are saying why whine?. In my case I have always liked DDD and I canceled STL prices from Amazon to give DDD the business.

Will I order from them in the future probably much less. I will pay the extra buck or so and deal with Amazon and know they always offer good service
schbee is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 11:12 AM
  #261  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received my second email this morning finally but unfortunately the total cost listed this time didn't include the 20% off. I guess I'll have to check my cc to see exactly what was charged.
treszoks is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 11:29 AM
  #262  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Davenport, IA USA
Posts: 789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a second email from ddd today. This time it had the full amount with no discount. They said I would get another email when it was shipped, just like the discount was never there. I emailed them and copied and pasted the first email they sent with the discount. If they don't correct the price, I don't want the order. I only ordered these right now because of the discount.
catsmeow is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 11:41 AM
  #263  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Mobile AL USA
Posts: 1,646
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I placed TWO orders with DDD.. both during the sale

Checking my emails, I discovered that one showed up with discount, the other (the first order I placed) did not have it

Upon inspection I noticed my first order had all preorders, therein lies the reasoning (my second order was mixed with preorders and instock items)
lewisb73 is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 11:48 AM
  #264  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 592
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made two orders, one for currently available titles on my debit card and a pre-order one on my credit card. The debit card had a pre-authorization billing for the total discounted price. Since not all of the disks I ordered were actually in stock, I expect that the pre-authorization amount will be refunded, and they will bill me in chunks as they ship. I just need to remember to make sure those chunks add up to the discounted total when the complete order is filled.

Also, for those of you having problems with receiving emails from them, for me it goes beyond just order status messages (which I seem to randomly receive). I had some disks arrive damaged, and they told me they would email me a UPS slip to tape to the box so I could ship them back. No such email arrived. I called them back and told them this, and they said they were sending another one again right that moment. 24 hours later I called back because that one didn't arrive either.

Now, I checked my spam filter and made sure their address was not being blocked, and as far as I can tell as long as I have received messages confirming my order, I should also receive messages with RMA #'s and packaging slips. They swore they emailed them 3 times, and since I didn't receive it they would have to just send them to me snail mail. That means I have to wait 10 days for the returns to arrive back at DDD, another 10 days or so for them to process the replacements, and at least another week to receive the new ones.

That's a lot of hassle that I hope doesn't get repeated with this huge order I placed, and the complaints about missed emails here seems to indicate that my own problems might not be something on my own end after all.
Geist is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 11:51 AM
  #265  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 52
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally received an second email and # for my order placed yester morning at 10:15am.

It did not have the discount.

I called and spoke to a CSR. He said they got an internal memo - as previously reported - and that he can't honor the discount. I mentioned the posting on here, but to no avail.

So I asked him to cancel, which he did. All set.

N
NatL is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:02 PM
  #266  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by NatL
I finally received an second email and # for my order placed yester morning at 10:15am.

It did not have the discount.

I called and spoke to a CSR. He said they got an internal memo - as previously reported - and that he can't honor the discount. I mentioned the posting on here, but to no avail.

So I asked him to cancel, which he did. All set.

N
So they post here that they will honor the discounts and send an internal memo NOT to honor them.

What a ridiculously run company. Complete frauds. My business goes elsewhere.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:05 PM
  #267  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checked the status online and the discount was applied according to their site. The second email was incorrect apparently. You may want to wait before you cancel.
treszoks is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:13 PM
  #268  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fleegs
I placed 2 orders around 10am and only received a initial email for one of the orders. Neither order shows up on the order status screen.
Update for my 2 orders: I finally received an email for my second order and it included the order number. I also received the order number email for my first order. Both of the emails that I received didn't reflect the discount.

Now, one of the orders is on the order status page with the discount reflected in the price. Hopefully, the second one will show up with the discounted price.
fleegs is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:15 PM
  #269  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like some people's orders probably went through just as they were in the process of turning off the codes. If there is actually any internal memo, it probably says something like "don't give a discount to anyone unless the discount was actually on their order."

Frankly, I think people are getting a little too upset over this. It's not like 20% is the best sale of all time or anything.
icruise is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:17 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,774
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by icruise
Frankly, I think people are getting a little too upset over this. It's not like 20% is the best sale of all time or anything.

Based on your logic, why are you posting at all? This is hardly the most people have ever gotten upset around here.
stevevt is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:23 PM
  #271  
pmf
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, what a mess. I wasn't able to place the order the nite the news broke due to my old home PC browser's inability to give me DDD's "coupon code" slot and had to place the order next morning using my work computer. Looked like I got it in for I got the "first" notification e-mail detailing the order AND the discount also saying there will be confirmation e-mail with order # to follow. After waited more than 24 hours without hearing from them I forwarded their CS the "first" e-mail with a note politely asking about my confirmation & order #. Lo & behold the standard reply of "lost order" came and I responded back insisting they replace the order given all the necessary info in their "first" e-mail.

This morning I got an e-mail from CS stating there was never an intended 20% promotion but they will honor my order BUT then I also found an earlier e-mail (the standard "first" e-mail following an order) notifying me of an identical order being placed this morning WITHOUT the discount. I fired back another e-mail telling them "not good enough, at least not as what your VP says" and called my CC company to refuse that exact NON-DISCOUNTED charge from them. Guess what, I just check my order status on their website before posting this and found the order with the DISCOUNTED total.

You bet I'll be watching that CC statement closely the next few months.

PF

Last edited by pmf; 06-12-04 at 12:31 PM.
pmf is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 12:31 PM
  #272  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 837
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me thinks there's a lot of confusion at DDD.
It's weird that their VP posts here that they will honor the orders but they have an internal memo not to honor the discount. Perhaps their memo actually refers to no longer accepting the discount (eg. on new orders who try to call in) and it's the CSRs that are confused? They gotta know that's worse than saying it was a mistake up front and just give a 10% discount on a future order for the inconvenience.
tenjin is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 01:14 PM
  #273  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by stevevt
Based on your logic, why are you posting at all? This is hardly the most people have ever gotten upset around here.
I think you misunderstand me. I'm as interested in this as anyone else, but I don't think that calling DDD "liars" "pure garbage" "complete frauds" etc is productive or accurate.
icruise is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 01:26 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Signal Hill, CA
Posts: 3,519
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
Very well said. I'm one of those in the boat whose order "disappeared" and they have no record of. I was flat out lied to by a CSR, and even offered to fax in the confirmation page.

This company is pure garbage. I have had nothing but problems with them and the fact they felt no problem lying to me about my order makes me take my money somewhere else.

They said they were going to honor the orders. They didn't mine. In my own experiences, I've found this company to be everything BUT honorable.
Originally posted by DVD Josh
This is, by my honest count, the SEVENTH problem I've had with this company. Best prices and free shipping don't mean anything when you have to put up with nonsense. Weeks waiting on shipments that are in stock, overbills, double bills, severely damaged merchandise, OPENED merchandise, WRONG merchandise, lost orders, lost internet orders, etc.

No thanks to this POS operation for me. I know most of you don't have problems, and that's fine, but I'm tired of putting up with them. Sticking with Amazon and STL, a company I've had zero problems with. Saving a few dollars isn't worth the hassle.
Originally posted by DVD Josh
So they post here that they will honor the discounts and send an internal memo NOT to honor them.

What a ridiculously run company. Complete frauds. My business goes elsewhere.
DVD Josh:

What baffles me is that you continue to order from this company if you've had such poor experiences with them! SEVEN problems before and you still placed an order? Sounds like you're a glutton for punishment.

Honestly, I think you just couldn't resist this deal of saving a few bucks. I wish you had, because now we have to sit and read your posts of whining and complaining about how lousy DDD is. Many of us have had very good shopping experiences with this company. Sorry you didn't.

Gee, I guess you're not "too" tired of putting up with them...or slamming them. Just don't make a career out of it.

Last edited by Franchot; 06-12-04 at 01:31 PM.
Franchot is offline  
Old 06-12-04, 01:32 PM
  #275  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 297
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just checked the status online and the discount was applied according to their site. The second email was incorrect apparently. You may want to wait before you cancel.
Exactly the same situation here. Received my 2nd confirmation email with no discount attached -- however, the website shows up with the 20% reflected in the total.

Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 06-12-04 at 01:45 PM.
HockeyMan2000 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.