Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Canadian Online DVD Rentals Discussion : www.ZIP.ca

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-08-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Firstly, I'm a long term member of the DVDTalk community and have no affliliation with www.ZIP.ca

I saw an Ad for www.Zip.ca somewhere last week, and decided to check it out. After browsing around, I decided to sign up...Here's their main deal...

No Late Fees and No Due Dates
Shipping is On Us
Over 15,000 Titles
Always have up to 4 DVDs
All New Releases in Stock
No Commitments. Cancel Anytime.

With a free two week trial...

Basically, it's like Netflix for Canadians, up to four DVD's out at anytime...and they ship you your next title as soon as they get one back...

They're located in Ottawa...

So Here's a bit about my experience...

June 2nd, 2004
Signed up, a Credit Card is required, for the free trial. I then put about 30 titles in my queue, including two as the 'ASAP' titles...I probably signed up around 2:00 PM, and by 4:00 PM, i'd received an email confirming that four DVD's had shipped, all of which were in my top six titles, including my two ASAP titles.

The titles, for the interested were :
Friends : Season 7 (Disc One)
The Blob : Criterion Collection
King Of The Hill : Season Two (Disc Four)
Lost In Space : Season One (Disc One)

June 4th, 2004
Two days later, the DVD's arrived in my mailbox. Curiously, on the website, it said that the DVD's were likely to arrive on the 7th, after the weekend, so they give themselves a bit of a cushion. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise, but I'm in Ontario (Brampton, specifically), so it's probably not comparable to Western Canada. All four discs arrived in a little mailer, which you had to carefully open to retain the stamped envelope to return the disc in. All four discs were in great condition and the ones I have tried have played perfectly...

June 6th, 2004
I mailed back the first four titles, and look forward to seeing at what point they arrive, and how soon after they ship my titles...

Other Points Of Note :
- I'd emailed about widescreen v. fullscreen, and they said though they typically ONLY order widescreen, they sometimes receive full-screen from their distributor...
- Discs are shipped individually, so box sets, multi-title discs, etc, would take 2+ discs out (Matrix : Revolutions, Lord of the Rings : EE, etc
- You can cancel any time.
- Great Selection

I think this is something that I'm really going to take advantage of, if they continue to have great turn-around on shipping the DVD's. I've thrown about 70 titles (mostly TV stuff) in my queue, so there's always something available and I'll closely monitor how often my high-ranked titles get shipped, etc.

Just wanted to add a little bit about my experience, i'll add more later, and look forward to reading other comments/experiences with www.ZIP.ca

Thanks!

KR
Old 06-09-04, 10:13 AM

Thanks Peat....do you know how they do with "lesser" known titles. My biggest reason for signing up for one of these shosp would be to rent flicks that aren't available at a local video shop.

I tried hollyweb dvd, but their selection was pretty lame. And to make matters worse they listed movies which they never even had in stock (ever). I emailed them about it and they said they listed movies they never stocked on purpose. If people requested them they would look into possible stocking them.

To their credit they did give me a discount when HARDLY any of my rentals were shipped.

Maybe I'll give zip.ca a shot.
Old 06-09-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Peat....do you know how they do with "lesser" known titles. My biggest reason for signing up for one of these shosp would be to rent flicks that aren't available at a local video shop.
Well, certainly a decent collection of Criterion Collection titles, which was great, since I'd wanted to check out 'The Blob', but not spring for it via sale or trade...I had great luck with finding most of the titles I was looking for to throw in my 'ZipList', but admittedly, most would constitute what you'd consider 'Mainstream' DVD's. Maybe doing a quick search would help.

I tried hollyweb dvd, but their selection was pretty lame. And to make matters worse they listed movies which they never even had in stock (ever).
I think for the first couple months, this happened at www.ZIP.ca, they'd wait for a user to actually request a title before prioritizing it from their distributor. I think by now, with a rumoured ~20,000 customer list, pretty much everything they list would be on hand. They also say that if someone requests a title they don't have, they'll do everything they can to stock it.

Maybe I'll give zip.ca a shot.
I'd recommend at least the 2 week trial membership, try that with your harder-to-find titles, and if they do okay with that, surely they can deliver on the more common stuff you might have your eye on.

I'm going to check on the turn-around time on my DVD's from mailing to them receiving, and processing the next one. I think I'll end up staying on, but if they're processing waits on too long, I'll give it a second thought....

KR
Old 07-17-04, 08:07 AM

How's it working out?

So, how's this working out for you guys?

Is it worth it? Service OK?

I'm thinking of signing up, probably in the Fall, when we have more movie watching time, so I'm kind of curious.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-09, 02:08 AM
Suspended

Re: Canadian Online DVD Rentals Discussion : www.ZIP.ca

Anyone use Zip or the other services? I'm taking some trails and wondering which has the quickest turnaround to the prairies.
Old 06-22-09, 11:07 AM

i've been on zip for a few yrs now. while they have the largest selection of titles compared to the other cdn rental companies.

if you want new releases, forget it.
the older popular titles, they can get them to you reasonably well.
they have a number rare titles, but they take awhile to get to you.

one of the only cdn places that rent blu-ray and hd-dvd as well.

turn around time varies depending on what distribution center they ship your out title from.

I myself prefer cinemail.ca better, even while their in MB and i'm in ONT. they seem to be able to get a higher turnaround and better about actually shipping titles on the top of your list. Esp with they quick return feature that allows you to QR all your titles and not just 1 at a time that zip allows. Just wish they have as much selection as zip does.
Old 06-25-09, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Ah, I will stick with Cinemail, then. I think the turn-around with sending just one back at a time would be very slow. It's already hard enough to get 4 returns a month. Imagine Netflix users scoffing at that.