DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Paypal UNCONFIRMED Address: Should I ship? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/366725-paypal-unconfirmed-address-should-i-ship.html)

heavywear 05-28-04 01:02 PM

Paypal UNCONFIRMED Address: Should I ship?

Doesn't appear that I have any recourse if buyer just calls and tells Paypal they never got it. Even if I have a delivery confirmation??

$40 item:

http://www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/ruhl-page.htm

so I'm leaning towards asking the buyer to "confirm" themselves with paypal before I ship their DVD. I am confirmed and verified but I dont remember having to do anything to have this done. I'll probably lose a bunch of buyers but just trying to protect myself.

Colleen 05-28-04 02:21 PM

When you first open an account (at least when I did years ago), they send you a snail mail letter with some sort of code that you enter at the website to confirm that you indeed are receiving mail there.

heavywear 05-28-04 02:36 PM

I think I remember that now too.

marty888 05-28-04 03:06 PM

I've always shipped even if the address is unconfirmed .... usually my items are not over $30, though. Another thing to look at - how long has the buyer been eBaying, and what is their feedback like?

I just shipped a few weeks ago to an unconfirmed address for a buyer with over 500 postive feedbacks and no negs - seemed safe enough to me, and I'm willing to take the chance.

heavywear 05-28-04 03:19 PM

Well, the items arent listed on Ebay so I dont know how I'd find out their feedback. My thought is most of them arent even EBayers necessarily. I made a paypal button for a specific item so anyone with an account can buy. Thanks for the post though

rich-y 05-28-04 11:53 PM

I never ship to an unconfirmed address. All your buyer protection goes out the window if you do!

Tony Dvdfan 05-29-04 11:03 PM

I've always shipped regardless, though most of my items are around $10...i would say go ahead and ship it anyway, i've only had one person file a complaint in about 2,000, so the odds are that they are an honest person. Add Delivery confirmation, so you can at least tell if they really recieve it or not.

Troy Stiffler 05-30-04 12:39 PM

I cannot express this enough... IT DOESN'T MATTER unless you're dealing with some fraudulant MENTALLY-INEPT MORON. Confirmed or unconfirmed, PayPal doesn't pay for, or back up anything...the fraudulant buyer does...assuming that he was too dumb to take his money out of his PayPal and attached bank account.

You can learn about all of that stuff by reading their 26 page user agreement.

Ship the product, or stop using PayPal.

uteotw 06-02-04 04:41 PM

I always ship. Also, my work address is not "confirmed" but I have stuff shipped here from time to time (gifts, etc.) and no one's hassled me about it...

heavywear 06-02-04 04:58 PM

Originally posted by troystiffler
Ship the product, or stop using PayPal.
thanks but dont feel the need to post if it pains you so

heavywear 06-02-04 04:59 PM

I've since set up my account to only accept confirmed buyers, thanks

Heat 06-04-04 01:00 PM

If a person really wants to use Paypal to pay you for an auction or whatever and they don't have a confirmed address, you could instruct them to send you the money as "quasi-cash" with anything other than a credit card payment.

Jericho 06-04-04 11:20 PM

Almost everything I get via paypal goes to an unconfirmed address. It's not usually a bad thing

Cool Kitten 06-05-04 04:28 PM

i've confirmed my address but it sometimes shows up as unconfirmed. I tried to re-confirm it only to be told that it's already confirmed. Paypal is pretty screwed up.

John Sinnott 06-05-04 05:47 PM

If you ship to an unconfirmed address, and have DC to prove that they received it, the buyer can request their $$ back and Paypal will take it out of your account. I've had it happen once, and now I never send to unconfirmed addresses.

Only do it if you want to risk the $40.

Kman1011 06-14-04 08:50 PM

I sent to a unconfirmd address for a surround receiver, $500.00, two months later after numerous emails from the guy about he liked it, it puts my account negative and closed He disputed it with his cc(he said he never did that it was an error, next he emails me and said he got into financial probems bt he will work on making it right, then he dissapeared. Now a collection agency calls me for the debt that I will not pay.

al_bundy 06-16-04 02:19 PM

I've sent a bunch of stuff to unconfirmed addresses with no problems. I also recently changed my paypal profile to stop it and block all unconfirmed payments. Too much risk.

Heat 06-16-04 11:06 PM

Again, you can have people send you money "quasi-cash" (with no mention of the ebay auction), then send them the item.

They can't dispute with Paypal because the payment ins't an auction payment. And if you don't take credit card payments, then they can't dispute with anybody.

Their alternative would be to become a confirmed user, of course, so the choice is theirs:

1. Become a confirmed user and pay you for the auction; or

2. Stay unconfirmed and send you quasi-cash for an amount equal to what the auction is.

heavywear 06-17-04 10:22 AM

Originally posted by al_bundy
I've sent a bunch of stuff to unconfirmed addresses with no problems. I also recently changed my paypal profile to stop it and block all unconfirmed payments. Too much risk.
Just did that too.

Ben732 06-21-04 09:18 AM

It looks like paypal now verifies the address with a Credit Card, I can add a gift address, but I can't add another address without it being confirmed against a credit card.