DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Netflix holding back/delaying shipments! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/366199-netflix-holding-back-delaying-shipments.html)

Sonicflood 05-25-04 07:56 PM

Netflix holding back/delaying shipments!

I'm really getting pissed at Netflix! 1st they raise the per month cost & now I'm noticing how they have slowed down my rentals and the shipping of them. I've used the service for almost two years and have NEVER waited more than 3 days for delivery (to & from). I now have continually (past month or so) had at least a five day wait! It's not the postal service, as the shipping column has indicated a five day delivery on all shipments in the past month.

We're not talking about new releases in all cases either.

Has anyone here used the Wal-Mart on-line rental service and care to comment? I've had it with netflix and their sneaky practices!

Sonicflood

chemosh6969 05-25-04 11:50 PM

How long have you used Netflix?

I've had them for around 3 years with no problems.

Chew 05-26-04 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Has anyone here used the Wal-Mart on-line rental service and care to comment?
Yeah, it's slower. If you're getting PO'd at Netflix, Walmart isn't going to be any better. AND they have a smaller selection.

But, I have noticed Netflix taking well into a second day to actually ship something to me.

JStoneRail 05-26-04 11:12 AM

Netflix service ebbs and flows. The last several months its been in an eddy. Their service is directly related to their money situation. Prior to the IPO and after opening regional service centers service was great. Now they are into a cost cutting mode. I still have movies I want to rent on my list so I haven’t canceled yet since I can live with one week turnarounds. Longer delays will have me reconsidering my subscription. I’ve been with Netflix for four years.

Easy 05-26-04 11:59 AM

Re: Netflix holding back/delaying shipments!

Originally posted by Sonicflood
[BHas anyone here used the Wal-Mart on-line rental service and care to comment? I've had it with netflix and their sneaky practices!
[/B]
I tried it and found turnaround to be about the same for me. I went with netflix because of their movie selection. They had titles Walmart simply did not have. I can see how it would be tempting to switch as you get 4 out for the price netflix charges for 3 out. I'm considering it. One thing that worries me about Walmart is this statement:

For each DVD lost or not returned, a $17.88 fee plus tax will be charged to your credit card.
To put the statement in context, they're talking about returning dvds after closing your account but I wonder if they charge for dvds lost in the mail. That can and does happen.

skeeto 05-26-04 12:22 PM

I tried Walmart free trial last month and noticed they were slower. The price is good though if you don't mind the delays and smaller selection.

For each DVD lost or not returned, a $17.88 fee plus tax will be charged to your credit card.
I got that message when I cancelled my free trial. It said I had 7 days to return the discs or I'd be charged that amount. I mailed them back 2 days before I cancelled, but didn't get the e-mails saying they got checked in until 5 days later.

As for Netflix, I've noticed a few delays on my end as well, but it's still faster than Walmart was for me.

dvde 05-26-04 03:27 PM

Why do people keep opening new Netflix threads when there's been a crap load of them started and most of which are about Netflix slowing down service on purpose. Do a search people!

MrX 05-26-04 06:06 PM

I'm trying Wal-Mart right now, Mostly because I've been waiting a month for a Babylon 5 disc from Netflix so I figured I would just get it from them and try them out. I almost always get my stuff from netflix the day after it was mailed, my disc from wal-mart shipped Saturday and still isn't here.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with netflix.

Deftones 05-26-04 11:07 PM

I've noticed more shipments not coming from the closest distribution center. It used to take a day to get here, not it's taking 2 days.

namlook 05-27-04 06:38 PM

I've noticed that if you are a high volume user Netflix starts delaying shipments by a day or so to reduce the number of DVDs you can rent in a month.

Chew 05-28-04 09:11 AM

Normally discs I return on Thursday (and even Friday) are checked in on Monday. Two discs I returned last Thursday (05/20) were checked in this morning (05/28). It's less than a two hour drive to the center it's shipped to.

Must be that new USPS China route. ;)

Movie_Man 05-28-04 11:12 AM

Originally posted by JStoneRail
Netflix service ebbs and flows.
This is the correct answer.