DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Moral question on DDD order mixup (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/366028-moral-question-ddd-order-mixup.html)

Matt 05-24-04 10:31 PM

Moral question on DDD order mixup

Okay, so I ordered Saved By The Bell: Seasons 1 & 2 from Deep Discount DVD last week for $21.xx.

Today, I get the package from them, only it contained SBTB: Seasons 3 & 4, which they're selling for $30.xx. Kind of cool, because I was wanting to get 3 & 4, anyway.

But, obviously, I still want 1 & 2, which begs the question: What do I do with 3 & 4?

I could just order 1 & 2 again for the $21.xx, and hope that I get that, and not say anything about getting the wrong thing in my earlier order.

Or I could do the "right thing", and let them know that they sent me the wrong item--which I'm thinking could go either way:

They could either "thank" me for my honesty by letting me keep 3 & 4, and sending out 1 & 2, or they could just tell me to send back 3 & 4, and they'll send 1 & 2 when they get the return.

Anyone else have a similar experience with DDD (or, for that matter, any online store)?

Thanks all in advance for your advice. . .

chemosh6969 05-24-04 11:16 PM

If you are asking if something is moral or not, you know what the right thing to do is already but you just want someone to tell you to take advantage of the situation to make you feel it's ok.

As for what I'd do, if I wanted 3 & 4, I would just keep it.

Matt 05-24-04 11:32 PM

Yeah, you're right--I know what the "right" thing to do is, but at the same time, it's their mistake. And I guess my main question is, if I do tell them that they sent me the wrong thing, I wonder if they would "reward" me for being honest by letting me keep 3 & 4, while sending me 1 & 2 at no extra charge--and then I'd win on both counts. I would have told them about their mistake, getting rid of a potential guilt complex, and at the same time getting a great deal on something I was going to buy anyway.

chanster 05-24-04 11:35 PM

They would make you return whatever was sent. It is really sad when people can't deal honestly with each other without thinking about it.

Don't mean to rag on you personally, but even the question stinks.

El-Kabong 05-25-04 02:32 AM

I'd keep it. Buy yourself another S1+2, and chalk it up to "Bank error in your favor"!

ernestrp 05-25-04 02:37 AM

They kind of did that to me in January from DDD. I had ordered Quatermass and Quatermass 2 for 15.00 (2disc set). What I received was Sgt. Bilko that was cheaper, that I never would have bought even from the 5.50 bin.

Called them right away and was told to wait for a return label. After 2 weeks go by I call and Inquire about the return label and was told to just keep waiting for it. Close to 25 days go by and I tried emailing them a couple of times but no reply after about 6 days so I send it back to them at my cost.

About a month after that I notice they have refunded my 15.00 to my CC and thats about it never heard anything else from them. I never did get quatermass titles I order since it was a limited edition and long gone at this point.

I say KEEP IT if you are happy with what you got. It is not worth it to try to return anything to them.

LasVegasMichael 05-25-04 04:11 AM

If the same thing happened to me, I would keep it and order S1&2 again. If you get 3&4 again, then send it back and notify them about the second one.

Is it honest? Of course not, but that is what I would do, since you asked.

Doc Moonlight 05-25-04 10:28 AM

Just ask yourself, "What would Mr. Belding do?".

wrrg 05-25-04 12:02 PM

Shame on you

This happened to me with another company. If you want to keep it DDD will charge you for 3&4 and place a new order for 1&2.

honeybefly 05-28-04 06:09 PM

I don't think it is wrong to just keep it. If you think about it, they would have to pay for return shipping and processing, so the cost would be about the same to them.

milkydoo 06-01-04 11:14 PM

I've hashed this before on other forums, and maybe here too. There are all kinds of 'rights' and wrongs' out there and much of it is perspective and context rather than cut and dry 'good and evil'.

I don't know what the law says about clubs, but I have heard before that if you receive an item in the "mail" that you didn't order, you can legally keep it. I don't know exactly how that law reads, but I'm sure it is there to protect the unsuspecting individual from harassment. So, if it's legal is it also moral? Not necessarily, but even if it isn't yours, you're also not necessarily wrong for keeping it. heh. Philosophy on a DVD board, eh?

Here's one answer I give on these questions. If you feel bad about it, know that the hassle and money (overhead) the company would have to go through to take the movies back *if* you didn't actually want them in the first place, wouldn't be worth it. You may actually be saving them money by keeping it and not complaining (I know that's dangerous ground!). So, figure out the difference in cash and donate it to a charity (preferably a local one).

CH won't miss your pennies at all, but those same pennies could by a local kid a pair of shoes.

Or you could just say, "Life's a grind and I caught a break on this one." The great thing is, you get to decide instead of someone else deciding for you!

majorjoe23 06-09-04 03:44 PM

It's probably too late, but you could just try being honest with them. Tell them that you got the wrong discs, but they are ones you want. Chances are they might just let you keep it and not charge you more.

POWERBOMB 06-09-04 04:00 PM

Since it wouldn't cost anyone their job, I say you should keep it since you wanted it anyway. Then reorder seasons 1 & 2.

Dave C 06-11-04 10:13 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I'd keep it. Buy yourself another S1+2, and chalk it up to "Bank error in your favor"!
I totally agree with this.

I usually eat small mistakes because it's not worth the hassle, so this is just the opposite.

MrE 06-16-04 02:59 PM

Ditto. It's not worth the hassle for DDD to send a return label and re-stock.

PopcornTreeCt 06-19-04 02:55 PM

Do the right thing.

QuikSilver 06-20-04 02:53 PM

I would keep it. My two cents.

conscience 06-22-04 03:08 AM

yeah keep it. their fault.

btw, season 1&2 is 17 bucks and some odd change as of the 20% sale.