Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Need some help with a eBay/Paypal situation

Old 05-20-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need some help with a eBay/Paypal situation

Wasn't sure what section this should go in, but here goes. I recently sold a copy of Nekromantik on DVD on eBay to this guy in Germany. I have "Only ships to US and Canada" but I had made about $40 for the DVD and he had some good feedback so I figured why not. Now I get this:

"Dear Chris Phelps,

It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of potentially
fraudulent funds. We have initiated an investigation into this event. In
the meantime, we have placed a pending reversal on the funds in question
until the investigation is complete. This pending reversal will show as a
deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are free to
continue transacting using your PayPal account.

Transaction Date: 4. Mai 2004 09:18:15 MESZ

Transaction Amount: $48,10 USD

Payor's Email: [email protected]

If you have not delivered the goods or services related to this
transaction, we ask that you delay or stop delivery until our investigation
is complete as you may be liable for the amount in question.

To assist us in our investigation and to determine if you qualify for the
Seller Protection Program, please send an email to
[email protected]ith the following information:

1. The item, service or purpose of the purchase, and the associated value;
2. The name and address given to you by the sender (if an item was
purchased);
3. If shipped, the company used for shipping, date of shipment, and
tracking number for the shipment;
4. Details of any other transactions related to the transaction(s) in
question;
5. A phone number where you can be reached during the day and evening; and
6. Insurance information, if applicable.

Any additional information you have regarding this transaction, such as
email correspondence, will further help us to expedite our investigation.
Solving these cases helps us continue to offer PayPal as a secure and
cost-effective payment service. We appreciate your cooperation and
assistance.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Team
----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by
opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing
in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account."

I get confused easily reading this type of stuff, what exactly does this mean? Is it saying the person is saying they never received the DVD, or that they didn't have the money they sent me?
Old 05-20-04, 08:13 PM
Suspended

And this is EXACTLY why I dont deal with pay-pal. I've seen way too many of these horror stories to trust them.
Old 05-20-04, 10:31 PM

Sadly you broke your own rule of US/Canada only.
That should have been a BIG red flag of
Danger Danger Will Robinson.

And as many have said its part of doing business
when you accept paypal credit card payments.
To break it to you gently you are SOL when all is
said and done.
Old 05-20-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El-Kabong
And this is EXACTLY why I dont deal with pay-pal. I've seen way too many of these horror stories to trust them.
First of all, I'll mention that I have had over 400 payments sent to me via Paypal and have NEVER had a problem - that should balance out some of the "horror stories" you've seen.

Secondly, fraudulent credit card payment is not a Paypal problem - it's a fraudulent credit card problem. Any merchant that accepts credit cards is at risk - do you think that this only happens with Paypal? Do you think Paypal is lying? Paypal may have ts problems, but this isn't something that is their fault.
Old 05-21-04, 01:52 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by marty888
First of all, I'll mention that I have had over 400 payments sent to me via Paypal and have NEVER had a problem - that should balance out some of the "horror stories" you've seen.
No, it doesnt actually. Paypal favors the buyer, and not the seller. If the buyer even so much as farts at you in the wrong way, kiss your money goodbye. I've been burned by Paypal before. Hell, I'm still waiting for a payment from a transaction to show up. I'm sure that it was "lost" in some kind of "paperwork snafu" - but I know I'll have to call them again and again to see my money.

Gamble with your money all you want - eventually it'll come up craps. It aint for me.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 05-21-04 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-23-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888

Secondly, fraudulent credit card payment is not a Paypal problem - it's a fraudulent credit card problem. Any merchant that accepts credit cards is at risk - do you think that this only happens with Paypal? Do you think Paypal is lying? Paypal may have ts problems, but this isn't something that is their fault.
My company is the subject of a few PayPal horror stories that will cripple your "400 payments" justification.

Yea - PayPal isn't lying about the chargeback. The guy that you send the DVD to is fraud. Either he just feels like placing a chargeback on his account (knowing that it's not even worth it for anyone to persue charges), or the card wasn't his to begin with.

My complaint about PayPal is that a lot of their advertised 'protection policies' are 90% phoney. That's for a whole other thread. Since this was an international transaction, PayPal never says that international funds are safe. So this one was all you.

I stopped screwing around with customers, too. Last week, I had a $250 transaction. Three days after the auction ended, the person called, and I told them that the package was already on it's way. Five days after the auction was paid for, I was sent a very rude "where's my phones...there's a legal way for me to get my money back". Within a day, her money was refunded, and I had Fed Ex re-direct the package back to me. I lost a few bucks; but the transaction was cancelled, and the person was added to my blocked-bidder list. It's just not worth it for me to deal with people like that. I don't like to have a transaction to be hanging over my head like that for up to six months...

Oh...and you're not getting you money back.
Old 05-24-04, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Since I spent all this time typing out my Pa-pal horror story in my other thread, I thought I'd share it with you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had an old paypal account from years and years ago - back when they first opened their doors. As more and more horror stories surfaced, I decided not to use the service, and e-mailed them to close the account.

Some time passes, and I've forgotten all about them until I sold a t-shirt on ebay just a month or two ago. Despite having clearly stated in the auction that I did NOT accept pay pal, despite having sent a "Congrats on winning my auction" letter moments after the auction closed - a letter that again stated the forms of payment (and PP NOT amongst them) - my boneheaded buyer finds my e-mail account and sends off payment via paypal. Turns out Paypal didnt close my account after all.

The item sold for a buck and a quarter. To get Paypal to cut me a check costs 1.50. So I'm having to PAY a quarter to sell my t-shirt.

So I try an log in on my PP account. At this point it's been so long that I dont remember my password. I try the 3 or 4 most likely passwords until I get the "Too many attempts. Please call customer service."

Fine, fine. I call customer service. All I want to do is have them refund the money to the seller so he can send a check or something. They tell me that I have to Fax in a copy of my drivers liscense and a phone bill with my address on it before they can do anything.

So - to Kinkos I go to fax my documents. Suddenly I'm another 4 bucks in the hole on an item that is only worth 1.50.

And then I wait. And wait and wait. Meanwhile, Paypal is suppose to be "processing my request". What that translates to is "Holding our dicks in our hands while we do NOTHING!" So I call back. They are still working on it - the CSR suspects that there's a backlog of faxs in the department and they're working their way through the pile.

So again, I wait. And wait and wait. Finaly I just say to hell with it, call paypal back and tell them to cut the check and close the stupid account. Fine, I'll eat the fees and the other costs that this little adventure has cost me. Congrats, you dumb ass buyer - you get a free T-Shirt. I just want to send the damn thing and wash my hands of the whole mess.

They say fine - account closed, a check is in the mail. And you know what - it's been 2 weeks now, and no money from them. I'm going to have to call back again and bitch at them about where my money is.

So - I dont care if my best friend in the entire world has had kidney failure, and the only replacement kidney anywhere is for sale on e-bay. If the transaction involves paypal, I'll have nothing to do with it whatsoever. The place is a stupid f'ing joke.

4 bucks for the fax, 1.50 for the fees, 30 cents for an e-bay listing and 4 bucks shipping. I'm 10 bucks in the hole, and I havent seen a dime. F Paypal. F them up their stupid asses.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 05-24-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had over $50,000 in paypal transactions and never had a problem.

Yeah, I am sure some smart ass will be "just wait for your first one" Fine.

Selling to international bidders is asking for trouble. I have dealt with a few of them, and never had a problem, but its like playing russian roulette.
Old 05-24-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am leary of them. I try not to keep more than $50 in my account at any given time. I've yet to be burned by PP themselves, and they actually helped me to recover $70 once.
Old 05-24-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've done a fe thousand $$$ through paypal last year with no problems.

Some things to keep in mind is to think twice about shipping overseas and to unconfirmed addresses. On cheapo stuff I don't mind, but on anything over $30 I think seriously about it.

Online merchants verify that its your card by asking for the billing address and with some expensive anti-fraud software. You only have the confirmed address to guide you as a paypal user.
Old 05-24-04, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I am leary of them. I try not to keep more than $50 in my account at any given time. I've yet to be burned by PP themselves, and they actually helped me to recover $70 once.
Buyer or seller? Paypal will bend over backwards and lube up for you if you are a buyer. But if you are a seller, and the buyer even LOOKS at you funny, then paypal will rape you right through your pants.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 05-24-04 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
I've had over $50,000 in paypal transactions and never had a problem.
Not to gloat, but: AMATUER.
Old 05-24-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting to see what happens with this. It's still showing as a -$40 whatever on my account, doesn't look like much has change. I replied to the email but I really doubt much good will come of this. I thought maybe the guy was claiming he didn't receive the item but he left me positive feedback a while ago. Another thing is the buyer is no longer a registered user, he signed up the beginning of April, got all very positive feedback now about a month later he's gone. I guess he probably stole, or got access to someone's credit card and bought a bunch of stuff on eBay, so I'm probably not the only one in this situation with this guy, does that help me at all?
Old 05-28-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
i've done a fe thousand $$$ through paypal last year with no problems.

Some things to keep in mind is to think twice about shipping overseas and to unconfirmed addresses. On cheapo stuff I don't mind, but on anything over $30 I think seriously about it.

Online merchants verify that its your card by asking for the billing address and with some expensive anti-fraud software. You only have the confirmed address to guide you as a paypal user.
So when I get a payment from an UNCONFIRMED address do I just ask the buyer to get confirmed before I ship the item?
Old 05-29-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by heavywear
So when I get a payment from an UNCONFIRMED address do I just ask the buyer to get confirmed before I ship the item?
That's what I used to do. I just have my account set up now not to accept payment from unconfirmed addresses.
Old 05-31-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing is that I'm from Ontario, Canada and Paypal does not confirm all of our addresses. Supposedly, some Canadian addresses can be confirmed but I have no idea how. By the way, I have a premier account.

Does anybody know about this?
Old 06-01-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
That's what I used to do. I just have my account set up now not to accept payment from unconfirmed addresses.
I'll have to look into doing that Cap'n...thanks
Old 06-03-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had buyers from overseas and they have had confirmed international accounts. Guess I have been lucky.
Old 06-04-04, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by heavywear
If you are at all uncertain about the buyer, ask that they retract their payment and pay you via quasi-cash, and not with a credit card.

In the meantime, in your auctions, state that you can only send to confirmed addresses. If anybody wants to give you grief about sending you money quasi-cash, just point to that statement in your auction and apologize for being paranoid, but that's the way it is.
Old 06-06-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question.. I have never bought or sold on ebay before but just sold something. My sale stated payment via Paypal using non-credit card funds only and after a couple of days of the buyer not responding I get an email to pick up my money via some Western Union number (buyer is from United Arab Emirates).

If they refuse to pay via Paypal am I allowed to cancel the sale and move on?
Old 06-06-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by abintra
Question.. I have never bought or sold on ebay before but just sold something. My sale stated payment via Paypal using non-credit card funds only and after a couple of days of the buyer not responding I get an email to pick up my money via some Western Union number (buyer is from United Arab Emirates).

If they refuse to pay via Paypal am I allowed to cancel the sale and move on?
Yup. You set the terms of payment, and it's up to them to meet those terms.
Old 06-06-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. I've actually never used Western Union before and didn't know much about any risk involved but talke to them today and it sounds like there is no risk for me to just accept payment that way.

As long as there is no way the money can be retracted or using stolen funds I don't really mind accepting that form of payment. WU said the money is paid upfront like a MO so I guess I will just go pick it up.
Old 06-06-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Western Union is as good as cash, but it'sn feakin' annoying when the buyers decide to make up their own rules! That's happened to me a few times.