DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   If you'd never ordered from DDD before would you be wary about it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/364422-if-youd-never-ordered-ddd-before-would-you-wary-about.html)

OREOSpeedwagon 05-15-04 06:04 PM

If you'd never ordered from DDD before would you be wary about it?

I just realized DDD's site really doesn't look that professional for being so popular as it is. I just got in on the $8 Kingpin set and noticed it is a pretty crappy looking site. But you gotta love it :D

peter07 05-15-04 06:07 PM

I've been ordering from deepdiscountdvd.com for years, and they did a great job of shipping overseas when I lived in Korea. No need to fear, brutha, because this site is totally legit.

OREOSpeedwagon 05-15-04 06:12 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love DDD. I've been a customer for about a year, just saying the site looks kind of shady, it could be a lot better looking :)

LasVegasMichael 05-15-04 06:17 PM

DDD is my #1 by far (second is CH).

Shipping takes a while, but the prices can't be beat.

flashburn 05-15-04 06:21 PM

I like the very 'minimal' look their website has. It leads to quick, and easy shopping. If I know what I want; I can usually find it, and check out in less than a minute.

marty888 05-15-04 06:26 PM

Simple design, information is clear and easy to read. and orders can be processed very quickly. Nothing shady loking at all.

By the way, since your topic is not about DVDs but a DVD <u>store</u>.... guess which forum this should be in?

Batoru rowaiaru 05-15-04 06:30 PM

ever think that maybe they just decided to invest their money elsewhere. simplicity versus flash ... sometimes, i'd pick simplicity because when there's too much "flash", sometimes they may be trying to cover for something else and you get what you pay for.

to be honest, i just did my research and because of folks on this site and elsewhere, i did not hesitate any longer to buy from these guys. haven't had a problem or any extra credit charges since i've used them. i'll keep doing it until i find my experience gets marred.

can't comment on customer service problems because i haven't had to go to them for any yet.

gutwrencher 05-15-04 06:38 PM

I found their shipping to take much longer...and I want my stuff now, not later. they took too long in responding to emails...which has never worked for me. I have about 4 places I order from...and they are all I need.

OREOSpeedwagon 05-15-04 06:38 PM

Just saying that I'm surprised it isn't a better looking site. I love the load times though and it is easy to find stuff.

BTW the customer service is great, the one time I had to cancel an order I emailed them with my name and order number and they cancelled it within minutes :)

RandyM 05-15-04 06:57 PM

The best looking and most informative site was Reel.com, and well...

Buford T Pusser 05-15-04 07:09 PM

Less glitz allows them to pass the savings onto you the consumer!!

The Cleveland newspaper has a DVD column and they always print the prices at DDD in the story. Seems a bit odd since they don't advertise with them and there are plenty of local stores.

Batoru rowaiaru 05-15-04 07:18 PM

interesting, gut ... however, the shipping is "free" ... patience is a virtue. besides, out of the four times i've used dddhouse ... my overseas orders arrived on the fourth day on average ... interesting, no!? i would have paid an arm and a leg to get that rush, rush delivery normally .. even from our great northern neighbors in canada. sorry you feel this way.

The Cow 05-15-04 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Batoru rowaiaru
interesting, gut ... however, the shipping is "free" ... patience is a virtue. besides, out of the four times i've used dddhouse ... my overseas orders arrived on the fourth day on average ... interesting, no!? i would have paid an arm and a leg to get that rush, rush delivery normally .. even from our great northern neighbors in canada. sorry you feel this way.
I think they are talking about DeepDiscountDVD, not DDDHouse.

TomOpus 05-15-04 08:33 PM

I'll always be a customer for DDD. Decent prices and free shipping. Yeah, the free shipping seems to take longer than it used to but a few days is no biggie to me.

hugo1000faces 05-15-04 09:25 PM

I thought that DDD seemed suspicious before I heard plenty of DVD talkers singing their praises. I've ordered from them several times now with no problems.
I don't think it's the minimal site that's concerning as much as the fact that their mascot is a shark wearing sunglasses.
The sunglasses kind of say "we've got something to hide" and then you realize well, sure they do, they're trying to hide the fact that they're a vicious, man eating shark!

kajs 05-15-04 09:40 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
I like the very 'minimal' look their website has. It leads to quick, and easy shopping. If I know what I want; I can usually find it, and check out in less than a minute.
I love DDD, don't get me wrong, but their search engine sucks. I find the DVDtalk price search engine helps me find things there better then their own site search.

gutwrencher 05-15-04 10:21 PM

Originally posted by The Cow
I think they are talking about DeepDiscountDVD, not DDDHouse.
ya know what? yer right...I goofed. sorry about that.

the shipping is "free" ... patience is a virtue.
nah...screw all that. I hate waiting. I want it here tomorrow.

Josh-da-man 05-15-04 10:23 PM

SHARKS IN SUNGLASSES ARE COOL, DAMMIT!

scarredgod 05-15-04 10:32 PM

in my experience, they dont respond to cancellations via email, and the free shipping now takes about 2 weeks to get to me. but i accept this. and the site is OK to me but could use more info on each DVD. i usually go to dvdempire.com for the DVD info and then back to DDD to order.

DavidH 05-16-04 02:53 AM

DDD's customer service isn't what it used to be, but they are still good to order from.

Easy 05-16-04 10:06 AM

Re: If you'd never ordered from DDD before would you be wary about it?

Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
If you'd never ordered from DDD before would you be wary about it?
Plenty of people were wary when it first started. Trust me.

Buford T Pusser 05-16-04 10:10 AM

Re: Re: If you'd never ordered from DDD before would you be wary about it?

Originally posted by Easy
Plenty of people were wary when it first started. Trust me.
So you're saying we should trust you about people not trusting them at first?

digiboy 05-16-04 02:52 PM

I have to say my first order with them went poorly and I have not ordered there since. Some titles I ordered that were listed as being in stock were actually back ordered. I don't like that to begin with.
So they sent me a notice that the remaining in stock titles were being shipped including "Groundstar Conspiracy." Then I got another notice that GC was also back ordered. I called and they said it was now back in stock and they would ship it right away. But the following day I got another note that it was on indefinate back order. What a mess. They finally agreed to cancel GC but in the meantime my order arrived missing Days of Thunder which was listed as in stock. I called and they said DOT was coming from another source. A week went by and DOT arrived looking like the case had been put under a steam roller, DVD unplayable.
True, they eventually made good on these foul-ups but IMO there were just too many to give them repeat business.

Austin54 05-16-04 03:29 PM

I never had a serious problem with them and I have placed a large number of orders. The tow problems I had they fixed quickly.
Austin

Josh-da-man 05-16-04 04:58 PM

They're my primary source for ordering DVDs these days. Only had a couple of problems that were resolved with a minumum of stress.

Be aware, however, that they do tend to be slower than other sources, both in shipping and order processing. Best case scenario, the DVD(s) you order w/free shipping will be in your hands about a week to ten days after placing your order. Sometimes, you order will be backordered for up to a month, but it will arrive.

I don't really mind their spartan site so much, but their search function can be a little awkward sometimes. Though nowhere near as cumbersome as Amazon's new book search.