Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people on Ebay?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-26-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not that I'm complaining but, I recently had 2 DVD sets for trade in the exchange forum, and I didn't get any offers that had DVDs I was interested in, so I thought what the hell, and put them on Ebay. In living color and Will/Grace season 2. These go for $27.87 and $30.77 Shipped respectively at DDD. Even at a place that everyone knows like Amazoon, these sell for about the same price shipped (little less than a dollar more).

well, I was hoping to get $20 for each of these. When my auction ended ILC was $30 PLUS shipping and Will/Grace was $33.50 PLUS shipping. Why? Why in the world would someone bid so high. Even if it was the same price, I'd rather order from a store for a little more security and maybe even a receipt in case somehting's wrong. With people like this, it makes me want to just list a ton of DVDs, after the auction is paid for, just buy them on DDD and have them ship it directly to the customer for free. $7 profit per DVD isn't bad.

Also, all the buyers have 100% positive feedback too, so I'm not too worried about a Nonpaying bidder.

God bless Ebay!

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 04-26-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Most likely, they are casual DVD buyers (not compulsives like us!) who really aren't familiar with all the best sites - they may very well do their DVD shopping at the local mall, so they are probably as happy as you are with the final results.
Old 04-27-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, people get caught up in the excitement of bidding for an item and loose sight of the price the item should be selling for.
Old 04-27-04, 12:56 PM

I can't count how many times I put up a low Buy It Now price, but someone bids and it gets erased, only to have the final bid price be MUCH higher than what I had for BIN.

Old 04-28-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reminds me of the VHS copy of The Bourne Identity I had (the 80s version with Richard Chamberlain). Right after the recent version came out, interest in the 80s version was high, and I sold it for ~ $24 (about what I paid for it back in the early 90s), at the same time the DVD had just come out and was on sale at DDD for ~ $15.
Old 04-28-04, 11:28 AM

You are going about this all wrong.

You shouldnt be saying what is wrong with these people?

You should be saying:

Geeze, I am glad there is something wrong with these people. I just made $20 more than I thought I would.

You would never see me complaining about making money. If they want to pay extra, I will be happy to provide my services and take extra. It's their choice.
Old 04-28-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

o i'm not "complaining" I'm just amazed.
Old 04-29-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are alot of people out there who primarily do their buying on ebay, and only really compare prices with amazon...

it is a double edged sword though, i have had some good dvds go for next to nothing, i guess its all in the timing.
Old 04-30-04, 09:53 PM

I often find the prices on DVD's at Ebay are much more than what you would pay normal retail and the shipping is usually outrageous. A friend of mine goes to garage sales and thrift shops; last weekend she profited over $500 on junk she bought for less than $75. I hate garage sales, but now I'm starting to rethink this whole thing!
Old 05-03-04, 01:56 AM

I remember when those DVDs from Platinum first started coming out. Stuff like THE WRAITH and TRICK OR TREAT you could get at Best Buy for $5.99, but lots of people were paying from $40 to $50 for them on Ebay! Even now, people still pay over $10 for THE WRAITH, though you can order it online for under $6.
Old 05-05-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
heh. I once bid on a used paperback book. It was a backstory for the video game "Halo". It's available at pretty much *any* bookstore for $6.99.

I bid $2 on it because no one else had bid on it yet and the auction's end was near. Some jackass ended up bidding $8 for it (+ $2.50 S&H) at the last minute - so he ended up paying $10.50 for a *used* $6.99 paperback. I bought it the next day for $7.47 at the B&N near my house.

Go figure.
Old 05-06-04, 04:12 PM

Yea ebay is horrible now as a shopper, I used to get dvds no mroe than 2 years ago 5-15$ new now i can get those prices used. People pay ridiulous prices its annoying its like they dont even shop around. Its dissapointign when you want something thats not valued as high and see it sell overpriced. Just too many people know about ebay now commercials and all, BTW worst thing about ebay now is the shipping prices OMG its horrible I used to pay $3 tops for dvds now people charge $4.00 minimum some 6,7 dollars. Yet when I get them is cost 1.48, 2.05 media or 3.70s priority when i pay like 5,6 ship. Its only going to get worse
Old 05-10-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Cedrock
Yea ebay is horrible now as a shopper, I used to get dvds no mroe than 2 years ago 5-15$ new now i can get those prices used. People pay ridiulous prices its annoying its like they dont even shop around. Its dissapointign when you want something thats not valued as high and see it sell overpriced. Just too many people know about ebay now commercials and all, BTW worst thing about ebay now is the shipping prices OMG its horrible I used to pay $3 tops for dvds now people charge $4.00 minimum some 6,7 dollars. Yet when I get them is cost 1.48, 2.05 media or 3.70s priority when i pay like 5,6 ship. Its only going to get worse
It's all about timing. I've sold DVDs and CDs there for both more and less than I expected. I also charge $1.75 to ship single DVDs in keepcases.

No one forces you to bid, so if you don't like the shipping price, wait for someone else to sell it who has a better shipping price.
Old 05-10-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally posted by Cedrock
OMG its horrible I used to pay $3 tops for dvds now people charge $4.00 minimum some 6,7 dollars. Yet when I get them is cost 1.48, 2.05 media or 3.70s priority when i pay like 5,6 ship. Its only going to get worse
In general I agree. A lot of it is certainly timing and luck. I haven't had a good dvd find on Ebay in quite a while. But that's also based on my buying/shopping style--I'll either browse for stuff below, say, 10 bucks shipped; or look for a particular item. if I look for a specific item, I start my look at Deep Discount or DVDPricesearch, and my max bid+s/h is something like 25-30% less than DDD wants for it. And especially with dvd's, most of them are so cheap it's not worth saving 2 bucks to get a used copy from some person you don't know.
Shipping is another issue. It's amazing people charge 5-10$ for shipping *a* single dvd, when Media Mail is incredibly cheap, and even Priority Mail is around four bucks, with free supplies. I ordered a bunch of dvd's from a company once [they offered free shipping], and in the box was about 12 dvd's, the postage sticker said something like 2.50 [media mail]. I was amazed at how cheap it was. I know there's some sort of 'handling' overhead to include, but many sellers are just abusive with their s/h fees.
Old 05-10-04, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Yea ebay is horrible now as a shopper, I used to get dvds no mroe than 2 years ago 5-15$ new now i can get those prices used.
Yes, timing is everything.

I just picked up Southern Cross DVD anime for $32 (goes for $60 everywhere else) then someone gets it on the next auction for $40+. Go figure.