Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I'm flabbergasted; A Best Buy Story

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-31-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Whoa. Don't know what to say really. I actually received GOOD customer service at Best Buy. I walked in yesterday to pick up the unadvertised Penn and Teller's Bull and was astonished.

As I walked in I was sidetracked by their "New Release Table" (yes, I do find it a bit odd and maybe tacky that the newest releases are simply stacked on a folding table in the middle of the aisle). While I was looking at the extras on TCM (didn't care too much for the movie, but I've heard that the extras are worth it) a clerk asks me if I am finding everything OK. I told her I was looking for P&TBS but hadn't made it back to the sections yet to look. She takes me first to the comedy section, then to TV but could not find it. She excuses herself to go find the guy who stocked the shelves and comes back a few minutes later , cheerfully I might add, with "the last copy." She tells me that they only got in 5 copies and this was the last.

So, did I get good service or is this another one of BB's "hide-it-in-the-back" techniques? She did not try to sell me anything else, so I am leaning toward good service. However, I did watch a clerk do the same thing 4 times with Chappelle's Show a few weeks ago. Hmmm . . . .

On a side note, stopped at Circuit City to check their price, and they were utterly clueless. Didn't know what I was talking about, couldn't find it, tried telling me it wasn't out yet because they carried everything and the clerk (could have been the pimple-faced kid from the Simpsons) knew when ALL things were coming out. Way to go CC! Hang on there and don't sell the company to somebody who might actually run it correctly!

Old 04-01-04, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw PTBS at my BB in the TV show section...maybe thats where she got it from
Old 04-01-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Suppossedly, Best Buy is gonna focus more on a customer driven philosophy, IF you can believe those stories from the financial pages.
Old 04-02-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rockmjd23
basically the media department (dvds, cds, video games, and software) has changed from primarily a tasking dept (alphabetizaton, putting out product, planograms) to a strictly sales dept. so you should at some point see more people standing around there but the place will probably look even more of a mess than it already is.
That happened years ago.

This is where i would normally rant about my previous work experience at Best Buy, but i have long since grown tired of bitching about that place.

But Abob, consider yourself blessed you got customer service anywhere near "good" from the Springfield store.
Old 04-04-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, in 1999 the tide was begining to shift towards selling more video game accessories and MSN on top of that.

By the time 2001 rolled around the store i was at had more people wandering aimlessly around the Media Department selling MSN, CD holders, any possible accessories to Boomboxes/Walkmans/Karaoke machines/keyboards.

We still had (maybe 2) people sorting DVD's and CD's, but that was limited to the two days of the week we got shipment.
Old 04-04-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's strange, UAIOE, that people to this very day say on one hand that they are constantly hit up for MSN and storage while on the other hand they can walk in and get no help whatsoever. I understand getting incompetent assistance, but how can an employee not give you customer service yet ask you to buy MSN and storage? Wouldn't it stand to reason it would be one or the other?
Old 04-05-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, you're back.

Did you catch the thread where Gattman was trying to find you?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=354488

Are you still at Hollywood Video on Sangamon? I keep meaning to stop by, I find myself at Monty's or China Star (across the street) once or twice a week for lunch.
Old 04-05-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
UAIOE, POWERBOMB, Heat, wow, the old gang is still around and coming back together!

UAIOE -- I think we have disussed (or is it "disgust" ) that store many many times, and that is why it so amazed me!

POWERBOMB -- So our paths cross again. Just remember "this time I am the master!" You are a master debater and a cunning linguist, but . . . somebody trying to sell me MSN is not somebody giving me customer service. It could be, but BB went/goes about it all wrong. That person trying to hawk me tickets to the sideshow are/were not trained to give me the answers that I am looking for. Most of them lose total interest in helping you if you aren't "helping them." I miss our old debates!

Heat -- Well, I am a man of many facets. I am resilient and will never be kept down by the man! No, not at Hollywood anymore (I was actually let go because the DM's husband accused her of having an affair with me, long story short) but am about to resurface at Family Video. We do need to meet one of these days! Updating my e-mail address as we "speak." Need to track down Gattman!

Old 04-05-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
FWIW, I went to BB Saturday to look at digital camcorders; the guy at the counter was friendly ['Grab me if you need me, my name's Jim, we're not on commission so if you don't see me, Jane there will be glad to help you'] but also rather focused in his dialog [about 5 minutes discussing the camera's features, and about 10 minutes telling me why I should also buy the service plan.]
But I do give points for them
a> being there
b> greeting me and offering to help
He even greeted other customers while he was talking to me, which if done right, I don't mind.
Old 04-05-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Abob Teff
No, not at Hollywood anymore (I was actually let go because the DM's husband accused her of having an affair with me, long story short) but am about to resurface at Family Video. We do need to meet one of these days! Updating my e-mail address as we "speak." Need to track down Gattman!
Well, how was she?

Which Family Video? Pretty much I just go to the one on South 6th (though they raised their new release price to $2, with a free catalog title), or Chatham's store.
Old 04-06-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Best Buy has always been friendly to me, although the only shopping i do there is in the media department.
Old 04-06-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Abob Teff
UAIOE -- I think we have disussed (or is it "disgust" ) that store many many times, and that is why it so amazed me!
I guess pigs do fly.

POWERBOMB -- So our paths cross again. Just remember "this time I am the master!" You are a master debater and a cunning linguist, but . . . somebody trying to sell me MSN is not somebody giving me customer service. It could be, but BB went/goes about it all wrong. That person trying to hawk me tickets to the sideshow are/were not trained to give me the answers that I am looking for. Most of them lose total interest in helping you if you aren't "helping them."

Well put.

I liken being offered MSN when i ask about the release date of a DVD or the CD a song is on to being called by a telemarketer when i am eating dinner. I've shown no previous interest, so why ask me? Why offer me MSN? Because i might be interested? Why don't they just offer me "50 Greatest Polka hits"?

I know the reason why they offer that stuff... but like Abob said above, if you arent answering (or attempting to answer) the questions i seek answers to then you aren't providing me with customer service.