DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   My Best Buy Extended Their $5.99 Section (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/355749-my-best-buy-extended-their-%245-99-section.html)

StrTrkker 03-30-04 12:21 PM

My Best Buy Extended Their $5.99 Section

I was in BB today picking up The Final Countdown and decided to take a peek at their $5.99 DVD Section and was surprised to see that what once was only 1 section is now 3. Looks like they completely got rid of the VHS section because theres a sign that states...Looking for VHS.? Try BestBuy.com we have over xxxxx tiltles to choose from. Words to that effect...

I saw a lot of the WM Bin DVDs there as well as few new titles. I did pick up Muppets in Space & JFK:The Case for Conspiracy.

Hows the BB lay out in your store?

asianxcore 03-30-04 01:05 PM

theres about 2 bargin bins, and a 5.99 section which is nice. the bins gotta go though, its too hard to sort through those. I picked up Very Bad Things for 5.99 over the weekend there which was nice.

Class316 03-30-04 01:28 PM

Re: My Best Buy Extended Their $5.99 Section

Originally posted by StrTrkker
because theres a sign that states...Looking for VHS.? Try BestBuy.com we have over xxxxx tiltles to choose from. Words to that effect...
As if someone that would order online would still use VHS :brickwl:

Brent L 03-30-04 03:01 PM

The $5.99 section at the Best Buy near me is pretty good. They had Dark City in there for the longest time, and just the other day I picked up The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait Revisited.

jaeufraser 03-30-04 04:39 PM

Yeah I love browsing the 5.99 section at Best Buy. I rarely ever buy anything, but i did pick up Ravenous the other day. I was quite pleased with that purchase, fun little cannibal movie for cheap.

Ginwen 03-30-04 07:16 PM

Re: Re: My Best Buy Extended Their $5.99 Section

Most of the Best Buys around me have a single shelf or so of VHS (or at least last week they did) at the very bottom of the very last rack of discount DVDs, along with the "looking for VHS? Try BestBuy.com signs."

Originally posted by Class316
As if someone that would order online would still use VHS
My father-in-law buys stuff online (at Amazon usually) and still only has a VCR. I know because he's gotten me DVD's there (the Seventh Seal and Walkabout)

POWERBOMB 04-01-04 08:50 PM

The Best Buy I was in yesterday seems to be doing something to their DVD department. What used to by just the TV section is now being broken up into TV comedy, TV drama, etc.

I don't know if it's all stores or just the bigger ones.

Trelach24 04-07-04 12:18 PM

Their sign should have said:

"Looking for VHS? We have blank tapes, you have HBO"

POWERBOMB 04-12-04 05:45 AM

Seems like their 5.99 isn't all it's crack up to be, unless your looking for Bedazzeled or some Anna Nicole movies.

LasVegasMichael 04-12-04 06:54 PM

Best Buy announced some time last year that all B&Ms were dumping VHS by sometime in 2004, so that makes sense.

Granted, I haven't been in my local BB for quite a while (the FS on their website makes going to there B&M moot), but the last time I was there (to pick up the Indy trilogy back in Oct), the $5.99 section was the top half of a shelf unit, with no bins in use.

I think WM has the Bin thing down, and kes sense for that store. Kind of hope that other stores like BB keep it on shelves.