DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Half dot com sellers - where are you moving? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/354643-half-dot-com-sellers-where-you-moving.html)

Easy 03-24-04 11:51 AM

Half dot com sellers - where are you moving?

I only sell a few things if I decide I don't like them, get an extra copy as a gift or whatever. Half was virtually painless for me but personally, I've found ebay to be a giant pain in the ass. Amazon is nearly as painless as Half but a bit more expensive... so I'm going there for the few items I list now and then. Any other options? The time to move is drawing near.

Eric F 03-24-04 10:12 PM

Amazon might be more expensive but they get much more traffic.

Other than eBay's "Buy Now", there's nowhere else to go. That is unless you want to do Yahoo Auctions, which virtually nobody uses.

Copenhagen 03-24-04 10:18 PM

I'll probably just stick with eBay...I really wish this wasn't gonna happen though.

POWERBOMB 03-24-04 11:45 PM

I'm prolly going to Ebay. Several auction sites have popped up, but with an online memberhip in less than the hundreds it's gonna be hard to stay away from Ebay.

Although I have thought about either donating my stuff to charity [tax write-off] or selling to a used cd/dvd or computer store.

POWERBOMB 03-27-04 11:29 PM

When is the exact close down date?

Empire_Man 03-29-04 11:05 AM

FYI - you can sell your stuff on DVD Empire

You can sell DVDs (adult & mainstream) Cds, and Video games through DVD Empire's E-seller program.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/Cust_S...8312&site_id=4

John Sinnott 03-29-04 09:24 PM

I'm really bummed about this too. It was a hassle free way to sell the few extra books and DVDs I have. Just click and list, then ship when it sells. I really liked that there were no listing fees. I can't see why e-bay bought half.com and is now shutting it down. Not sure what I'll do. Amazon is too exspensive for the stuff I sell (the $1.00 +15% wipes out the profit motive. If you sell an old DVD for $10, you only keep $7.65. Almost a 1/4 is taken.) I really don't want to send out invoices and bug people for money with e-bay. :(

Easy 03-30-04 12:49 PM

It was a hassle free way to sell the few extra books and DVDs I have. Just click and list, then ship when it sells. I really liked that there were no listing fees.
Exactly the way I feel about it.

Amazon is too exspensive for the stuff I sell (the $1.00 +15% wipes out the profit motive.
I hear you... but better to get a little something back than nothing at all and I REALLY don't want the ebay hassles. I try to be a lot more selective these days. Still, I occasionally get one I just don't like and there is the odd one to upgrade when a better transfer comes along.

FILMCZY 04-11-04 09:48 AM

I have been a buyer at Half.com for over three years and bought almost my entire dvd collection from them.

Why is eBay shutting down the site?

I will never get the great deals on dvds and cds that I got from Half.com on any other site.

I don't like eBay because sellers charge such high prices on shipping small items like dvds and cds. It's not worth the effort to search out sellers with decent shipping costs.

POWERBOMB 04-11-04 10:46 AM

As best I can tell Ebay is shutting down the site because they own it and it was a great vehicle to get more members to use Ebay. They practically plastered their logo on Half everywhere. Think about it. Besides Ebay and Half, how many other auction/selling sites are as popular?

FILMCZY 04-11-04 03:03 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
As best I can tell Ebay is shutting down the site because they own it and it was a great vehicle to get more members to use Ebay. They practically plastered their logo on Half everywhere. Think about it. Besides Ebay and Half, how many other auction/selling sites are as popular?
Personally, I think eBay is shutting down the site because they're losing money from all the "sellers" who have ripped people off (i.e. never sending the item purchased or sending a cheap import dvd instead of the domestic release.)

I have to admit that Half.com had great customer service: I never was denied a refund I deserved over the course of three years.

By closing down the site, eBay can "do away" with the customer service aspect and not worry about bogus sellers. "Buyer Beware" has always been eBay's motto but wasn't for Half.com. I think it's a shame that buyers and sellers are being "forced" over to eBay. The so called "deals" people think they are receiving are not always that great. There has been several times I felt like emailing a buyer and telling them I could get the item they are bidding on for half of what they are about to pay at a local retailer. But I guess it's all about the "win" of the auction that keeps people coming back for more...

Easy 04-11-04 05:32 PM

Originally posted by FILMCZY
Personally, I think eBay is shutting down the site because they're losing money from all the "sellers" who have ripped people off (i.e. never sending the item purchased or sending a cheap import dvd instead of the domestic release.)

I have to admit that Half.com had great customer service: I never was denied a refund I deserved over the course of three years.

By closing down the site, eBay can "do away" with the customer service aspect and not worry about bogus sellers. "Buyer Beware" has always been eBay's motto but wasn't for Half.com.

That is certainly part of it.
They also don't have to worry about payment. Ebay puts that on the seller... on half all buyers paid via credit card and it went directly to my bank. I never had to screw around with checks, money orders or pay pal. FYI Amazon also takes care of it like half did.
Another reason to close half is that a seller like me could list my stuff and it stayed listed forever. I feel sure Ebay didn't like that at all. They would rather have a fast turnover and/or have you pay listing fees over and over. On Amazon they boot the item if it doesn't sell in a couple of months but you can relist and it doesn't cost a dime until you sell.
Overall, I'm liking Amazon... not a much as half but more than ebay.

POWERBOMB 04-12-04 05:30 AM

Do we have a close down date for Half?

matome 04-12-04 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Easy
That is certainly part of it.
They also don't have to worry about payment. Ebay puts that on the seller... on half all buyers paid via credit card and it went directly to my bank. I never had to screw around with checks, money orders or pay pal. FYI Amazon also takes care of it like half did.
Another reason to close half is that a seller like me could list my stuff and it stayed listed forever. I feel sure Ebay didn't like that at all. They would rather have a fast turnover and/or have you pay listing fees over and over. On Amazon they boot the item if it doesn't sell in a couple of months but you can relist and it doesn't cost a dime until you sell.
Overall, I'm liking Amazon... not a much as half but more than ebay.

My feelings exactly. Half was such an easy no-hassle way to buy/sell stuff. I'll miss it even though I wasn't a massive seller.

Easy 04-12-04 11:02 AM

I have never seen an exact date. They keep sending me stuff about moving to ebay but they never state a date.

LasVegasMichael 04-12-04 06:58 PM

I am a regular seller on eBay, but have a few DVDs and books in Half.

Will move them over to the Bay, without much thought. I could see how it will be tough for big Half sellers, though.

Eric F 04-13-04 10:21 AM

eBay lost a lawsuit concerning the whole nature of Half's selling format- that's why they're closing it down.

uteotw 04-13-04 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Eric F
eBay lost a lawsuit concerning the whole nature of Half's selling format- that's why they're closing it down.
Can you be more specific? No idea what this is about.

I think is SUCKS they're shutting down half. Though you can sometimes get more as a seller on ebay, half.com is so much more hassle-free (in my experience) as both a seller and a buyer. I REALLY wish they'd reconsider...

Eric F 04-13-04 09:37 PM

Google is your friend.

http://news.com.com/2100-1017_3-1010397.html?tag=fd_top

SFranke 04-14-04 01:58 PM

I think August 31 is currently the last day.

angryyoungman 04-17-04 11:47 AM

I've been selling a ton on half the past 2 years--during college it was a godsend. I could usually sell my textbooks for the same or even more than I bought them for!

I will be moving most of my business to eBay, but I will also explore Amazon for opportunities (depending on the item I want to sell).

What is really ridiculous about this whole situation is that Half continues to try to lure in new users with coupons that apply ONLY to new users. Considering they're closing by the end of the year, what's the point? How about some coupons for those of us sticking it out until the end?

nova 04-20-04 02:08 PM

Good that they are shutting down! It was a disorganized company that still to this day rips people off. I have been disputing with them since November that I sold my XBox and 4 games and never received my money for it because they claim I owe them money for an item I didn't ship 4 YEARS AGO and never contacted me about it. Screw em hard!

USBrit 04-21-04 06:00 PM

According to the chat transcript in the transition center (accessible from your account section), the last day to buy/sell on Half.com 7/13/04:

http://pages.ebay.com/event/halftransitiontranscript/

"On July 13, 2004 buyers and sellers will no longer be able to transact on Half.com. Up until July 13, you will be able to list and transact on Half as you do today. On July 13, new user registration will end, inventory will not be able to be loaded on the site and users coming to Half.com will be redirected to eBay. Half will continue to exist as a redirect as long as buyers are coming to Half.com, so we can hold onto as many of them as possible. You will, however, be able to access the "My Account" section of Half.com until October 13, 2004. "

I've been selling on Half.com since they started, and am REALLY going to miss it's convenience (count me among those who think eBay is a hassle, even with the changes they are implementing). I've only sold 1 or 2 things at Amazon, but I guess I will try them for a while.

Anyone know if there's a way to link to your eBay feedback when selling at Amazon? You can set up a seller page with an external link, but you can only do that if you're willing to enter your address. The link to my eBay feedback is too long to include in individual listsings (and html might not work anyway).

Yakuza Bengoshi 04-22-04 07:23 AM

I suppose I'll start selling my unwanted books and DVDs at Amazon, but I'm not happy about it. I've built up a 99.8% positive feedback on 706 feedbacks. I've gotten one feedback at Amazon.