DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Replacing a lost DVD at Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/353219-replacing-lost-dvd-netflix.html)

Wallflower 03-16-04 07:51 PM

Replacing a lost DVD at Netflix

I was just wondering, does Netflix mark their DVDs in any way? I managed to lose one, and I'm considering buying a copy from DeepDiscountDVD and mailing it in to Netflix since it'd be cheaper than paying $20 + tax that Netflix dings you for a lost disc. But I'm wondering if they would tell the difference, or care.

Richsand25 03-17-04 01:29 AM

I don't believe Netflix marks there DVD's, but I have seen one or two that have for Rental Use. I currently have Schindler's List and no markings on the DVD for Netflix.

Tony Dvdfan 03-17-04 01:33 AM

Doesnt Netflix allow you a couple lost discs before charging you for them? I had one was supposed to arrive and never did, i never heard anything about a charge (though perhaps i should check my next cc bill!)

Bill Geiger 03-17-04 05:36 AM

Amazing that it was lost Tony..considering the place we mail it to is local for both of us (Malvern Area).

Wallflower 03-17-04 12:52 PM

Sorry, I meant "lost" as in "it got to my house and then I watched it and then after we were done with it it disappeared." And since I've just let it go for weeks and weeks, thinking it just HAD to show up at some point, in addition to being dishonest, it would be suspicious at best to claim it was lost in the mail at this point.

Movie_Man 03-17-04 04:39 PM

A handful of discs are marked "Netflix - not for Sale" in the artwork.
I admire your willingness to replace the disc by buying a new one, and I would certainly recommend that course of action.
However, if you claimed that you DID return it, but got lost on the way back, they probably wouldn't say anything as long as you don't have a history of lost discs.

JayGrey 03-26-04 02:35 AM

You might also tell Netflix that you lost the disc. As many as they purchase they might charge you less than you would pay if you replaced it yourself.

dvde 03-26-04 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man

However, if you claimed that you DID return it, but got lost on the way back, they probably wouldn't say anything as long as you don't have a history of lost discs.

Woow! What great integrity you have. You should be proud. Amazing!

starseed 03-26-04 05:50 PM

The option you would select on the 'report a problem' page in this case reads: "I have lost or damaged a DVD and would like to pay for it." If a disc gets lost in the mail, however, you don't have to pay for it.

I have noticed that the recent single-sided DVDs from Warner, New Line, and Anchor Bay are marked (that is, they do not feature any disc artwork and have the Netflix logo on them). Otherwise, I highly doubt that they would notice the difference. I think they just check to make sure the name on the disc is the same as the name on the sleeve, if that much. So you could conceivably do either.

Seeker 03-27-04 03:52 PM

Nice to see you wanting to do it right, vs pretending. :up:

Maybe you could send an email to netflix being just as straightforward - that you'd really rather not pay $20 + tax and you'd happily send them a new disc. They might even forgive you in return. Maybe not, but who knows?