Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount DVD Question.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I've never bought on the site so I have 2 questions.

1. How are they overall
2. Is the free shipping thing I see on every DVD I look up some sale? if so when does it end?

THANKS!
Old 02-03-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are great, one of the best and cheapest online retailers. The free shipping is always there although it can take up to a week for your package to arrive should you pick that option.
Old 02-03-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't had any problems with DDD. They have been generally pretty good when it comes to pre-orders/free shipping. It really depends, but with those, I've either received items on the same day as stores or even a couple days earlier.
Old 02-03-04, 01:17 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDD rocks if you want cheap DVDs but don't mind waiting for slower shipment.
Old 02-03-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They have great prices, generally very slow shipping though unless you pre-order. Typically, when you pre-order, you get it on or about release date but most regular orders take a week to a week and a half. Never had a single problem, very reliable.
Old 02-03-04, 01:51 AM

Ive ordered from them quite often over the years. Very very good prices, and even though it's a wait, I love having the free shipping option available.

Only recently have I had a problem with them. I placed a order on 12/02/03 consisting of 7 dvd's and had a problem with 2 of them. One I have yet to receive(lost in the mail/and now backordered) and the other is with the Re-Animator Millenium Edition. I did not receive the ME, but the regular 1 disc SE. When I called them about these problems, they said they were going to send out another copy the non-received DVD and send a pre-paid label so I could return the Re-Animator SE. But still, to this day, I do not have those 2 dvd's that I originally ordered. But unsolved problems aside, I have since placed 3 more orders from them. (I guess Im a sucker for good prices, no matter what the recourse)
Old 02-03-04, 02:43 AM

In a nutshell: decent (not always the best) prices; slow to ship; even slower processing returns (heaven forbit they send you a defective DVD which they do); poor customer service. There's another thread on this but a Profiler season 2 has been backordered since November. The ship date keeps getting farther and farther. No explanation whatsoever. and Good luck trying to reach them by phone or email. It's like you're on hold for 25 minutes (and yes I've timed them) or about 4-7 days response for a one sentence response.

I can vouch for the previous poster re: slow processing time for defective returns. Other vendors like buy.com will ship out another title the same or next day. It takes 6-8 weeks for them to get it, process and refund, recharge and ship out and arrives in mail.
Old 02-03-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by iove
In a nutshell: decent (not always the best) prices; slow to ship; even slower processing returns (heaven forbit they send you a defective DVD which they do); poor customer service. There's another thread on this but a Profiler season 2 has been backordered since November. The ship date keeps getting farther and farther. No explanation whatsoever. and Good luck trying to reach them by phone or email. It's like you're on hold for 25 minutes (and yes I've timed them) or about 4-7 days response for a one sentence response.

I can vouch for the previous poster re: slow processing time for defective returns. Other vendors like buy.com will ship out another title the same or next day. It takes 6-8 weeks for them to get it, process and refund, recharge and ship out and arrives in mail.
I have to respectfully disagree with your comments. Their prices are consistently lower than any other retailer. That is not to say that they are ALWAYS the lowest, but very often they are. I guess if you compare them against Columbia House where you can get DVD's for $7 if you're willing to wait several months for new releases and play the sign-up-fulfill-cancel game then they are not as good a deal. But if you're like me, and don't want to go through all that and wait 3 months just to get one DVD, then you really can't beat DDD. As far as their shipping goes, I don't find it any slower than Amazon or any other major online place (and I live in Hawaii). Besides, you can't beat their free shipping deal. I've also never had any problems with their customer service. I've ordered probably over 100 DVD's from them and experienced only one problem where one of my orders was lost in the mail. I called them up, got a CS rep on the phone with no delay, and they sent me out a replacement order no questions asked (on a $200 order!). The only bone I can pick with DDD is that they are very slow responding to price matching requests.
Old 02-03-04, 05:57 AM
Cool New Member

Without a doubt, they are the best online retailer for DVDs. Over the years, I have purchased a couple hundred DVDs and never had a problem with deliveries. They are a little slow but the price makes up for it.
Old 02-03-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for DDD.

(This really belongs in the STORE FORUM, where you will find several otherthreads about Deep Discount.)
Old 02-03-04, 06:23 AM
tpc

I've only recently become a DDD customer (Those 20 percent coupons were just too good to pass up!) But I've since returned to the site several times.

I've placed 6-7 orders so far, and while they ARE slow... they are reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them if you have the patience.
Old 02-03-04, 09:58 AM
Cool New Member

I have placed tons of orders with DDD and they used to be great but in the last 2 months the shipping times are getting worse and worse. I have GI Joe Season One I ordered on 1-9-04 it was released on 1-27-04 and it still has not shipped yet. Other problems include constant backordering any more when it showed instock when I ordered. I would think after Xmas their service would have picked back up but no.
Old 02-03-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Slow as hell to process and ship your disks, but if you're willing to put up with that to save a couple of bucks then this is the place for you.
Old 02-03-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had a problem, and never had to wait more than a week for anything to arrive....I couldn't be happier with the 2 dozen orders i've placed with them over the last year or so.....I don't know why people complain about THEM being slow...it's the USPS that's slow with the media mail, NOT DDD. Most seem incapable of comprehending that though....fortunately I'm in Michigan, so shipping rarely takes more than 3 or 4 days (they are in Chicago).
Old 02-03-04, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

it's the USPS that's slow with the media mail, NOT DDD. Most seem incapable of comprehending that though....

Actually I ship things every day through media mail and the ship time is almost always less than a week. If you see my post above I said that they are backordering more and more lately. It is not the US mail it is them. My item I ordered on 1/9 was released on 1/27 and according to them it shipped today.

I have had tons of orders go through perfectly. I just happen to notice that in the past two months their service has gone down as far as turn around. Now their customer service is top notch and they always have the answers I am looking for even if it's "It will ship next Wednesday".

Oh I place about 5-10 orders a week with them. I might notice this slow down where people who order once or twice a month may not.
Old 02-03-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have placed many orders with them but they sure are awful when they make a mistake. They sent the wrong title that I received on 1/20. Called them that day and was told they would send me a return label that would be here in 7 to 10 days. I called them today to check on it and was told call back the end of next week if the return label had not arrived yet. Looks like at that point I may just have to call my CC company.

Not to mention the title I ordered was released on 1/13/2004 and according to DDD it has been dis-continued and no longer available.
Old 02-03-04, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by joliom
I have to respectfully disagree with your comments. Their prices are consistently lower than any other retailer. That is not to say that they are ALWAYS the lowest, but very often they are. I guess if you compare them against Columbia House where you can get DVD's for $7 if you're willing to wait several months for new releases and play the sign-up-fulfill-cancel game then they are not as good a deal. But if you're like me, and don't want to go through all that and wait 3 months just to get one DVD, then you really can't beat DDD. As far as their shipping goes, I don't find it any slower than Amazon or any other major online place (and I live in Hawaii). Besides, you can't beat their free shipping deal. I've also never had any problems with their customer service. I've ordered probably over 100 DVD's from them and experienced only one problem where one of my orders was lost in the mail. I called them up, got a CS rep on the phone with no delay, and they sent me out a replacement order no questions asked (on a $200 order!). The only bone I can pick with DDD is that they are very slow responding to price matching requests.
Look, I've ordered at least twice as many DVD titles as you you have and try returning a few of them and see (1) how long it takes for you to receive your free ship label and (2) how long it takes for them to credit your card and ship you another and rebill you for it. Also for kicks, try waiting 2+ months for your title that's supposed to be in stock. I'm sure you'll start tearing your hair out.

Just because you haven't had problems with their customer service doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Do a search. I used to be their biggest fan, but no more.

Last edited by iove; 02-04-04 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 08:05 AM
Cool New Member

Finally, after being on Back Order since it's release date (11/25/03), I received an e-mail shipment confirmation from Deep Discount this morning. Actually, it was worth the wait since I canceled my original order (placed before release date) and re-ordered in December when the 20% coupons came out - saving an aditional $11.20.
Old 02-04-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Up until I recently started going the CH route, I bought primarily from there, upwards of about 40-50 titles in the last three or so months.

Knock on wood, not a single problem (except for extraordinarily slow shipping).

Before I ever buy I DVD, I check the prices at three places.

1. DDD
2. BESTBUY.com
3. DVDPLANET.com

Best Buy also offer free shipping, but charges tax.
DVDPlanet also charges tax to me, and shipping, so if their price beats everyone (which has only happened on CC), I will go to their B&M store instead if buying online (they are in So Cal).

90% of the time, DDD beats the other guys with thier out the door price. BB comes though only on select sale items or promo sets (like the Friends deal last week).

DVD Planet is only worth it usually on CC (even moreso now with their Free shippin on purchases over $25).

Like I said, I have not have had a problem with them. I don't mind waiting, and have been extremely satisfied with thier site.
Old 02-04-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brizz
fortunately I'm in Michigan, so shipping rarely takes more than 3 or 4 days (they are in Chicago).
Hey brizz, where are you at in Michigan? I'm in Grand Rapids, and it still takes atleast a week for shipping to me.
Old 02-05-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Long Post (sorry)

I will never order from DeepDiscountDVD again. I ordered the Scarface Deluxe Boxset back in September 2003. The first email I received after placing the order said it was out of stock and would ship sometime in November. I then received a second email stating it would arrive sometime in December. This is when I first notice that the shipping address is my old address I haven't lived at for six months.

I called the customer service line. They said no problem. I would get another shipped out right away to my new address. I didn't get that one either. I moved into my duplex on January 1 2004, but all of my mail was being forwarded. That shouldn't have been the reason for not receiving my package. Other packages arrived just fine.

I called again and was told that they would ship it out UPS so I could finally get it. After the promised three day delivery passed, I called back and was told it hadn't shipped yet. It would ship the next day. Well, yesterday was another week that I hadn't received my package. So, I called again. This time I was pissed and said, "I want a manager, someone with authority, to either tell me that my box set will be shipped out tomorrow and will arrive in 2 to 3 days or that my money is being refunded." I was placed on hold and was later told that my order was "stuck". A manager would handle it the morning and send my order out "2nd Day".

I called again this morning to see if the box set had indeed been shipped out. I asked for the manager, but she did not come to the phone. She had a CSR just relay the bad news to me. When an order is "stuck", that means that the box set has not been packed. It also means that the item is not in stock and they have stopped carrying it. I was speechless. I kept asking if the guy was serious. He apologized and said I would be reimbursed for my purchase. I just said Ok and hung up. I've been pissed off ever since.

Well, I just logged on to check my emails and what do I see. An email from DeepDiscountDVD saying, "Your order has been shipped. Please give 2-5 business days for delivery." I don't know if this is just another bullshit confirmation (I've received five of these since my ordeal began) or if it's a result of my calling. I also sent a very scathing email since the manager denied me of this over the phone. I was planning on going to Best Buy tomorrow to buy the box set, but now I have to wait.
Old 02-10-04, 12:34 AM

Anyone got any coupon codes for DDD?
Old 02-10-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Son Of Zod
Anyone got any coupon codes for DDD?
Well, looks like you missed the madness of the 20% off that dominated the forum for a good week or so. Here is a little summation for you.

Part I
Part II
Part III

Others have reported having coupons sent to them for bad experiences, but very rarely. I have had nothing but good experiences with DDD, except for slow shipping, which is a given.
Old 02-10-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont think I would even place another order with them if they had a 50% off. It looks to me when they srcew up they just expect you to live with it and not bother them.
Old 02-10-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It takes them 3-4 days just to process you order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.