Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Prices not so competitive anymore.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy Prices not so competitive anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesn't bother me since Costco's been keepin' it real with their prices..
Old 02-02-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by k_lodge
Maybe they have figured that having these "loss leaders" don't work as well as they used to. They have those low prices to get people into the store and hopefully buy additional "regular price" items while they are there. It sounds like most people on this board (me included) go to whoever has the cheapest price for the week, even if it means going to 2 or 3 stores to get the items you want.
I know I do. I also look around a bit when I come into the store after getting my cheaper dvd's.

Why did I buy my HDTV from Best Buy?

I kept going over to it and looking at the Tv everytime I came in to buy a dvd. One day i decided to buy an HDTV at another retailer. I had to go by Best Buy so i figured why not stop in and look at their price. a salesperson started talking to me and I told him I was thinking about buying the Tv somewhere else I was just checking the price. He was able to work out a sale with me so I did not have to go elsewhere.

What happens when you think of Best Buy as expensive?

You just drive to that other store and not bother stopping in to see the price.
Old 02-03-04, 01:27 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you care about anime DVDs, they are mostly at MSRP now! Suncoast/SamGoody/Mediaplay and FYE can have new anime releases cheaper than BB now
Old 02-03-04, 05:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still see great prices, Once Upon a Time in Mexico was just $15.99 last week.

It just depends on how big the movie is. You're not going to see something like Lost in Translation for $15-16 bucks as it would be a poor loss leader as not enough people would stop in for it.

I think the loss leaders work as well. I stopped in this morning to pick up the new Incubus cd with bonus DVD for $9.99, and ended up buying another cd and a pair of head phones.

Sometimes I only buy the cheap item, but I generally come out with something more.
Old 02-03-04, 11:49 PM

I've seen a few Criterion titles at Best Buy that were priced above MSRP. Some Criterions are priced slightly below MSRP though. Anime titles are usually at or above MSRP. Older titles and Music Videos are usually MSRP too. New releases have always averaged $15.99-$17.99. Bigger titles are sometimes $14.99 on new release.
Old 02-05-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I still see great prices, Once Upon a Time in Mexico was just $15.99 last week.

It just depends on how big the movie is. You're not going to see something like Lost in Translation for $15-16 bucks as it would be a poor loss leader as not enough people would stop in for it.

I think the loss leaders work as well. I stopped in this morning to pick up the new Incubus cd with bonus DVD for $9.99, and ended up buying another cd and a pair of head phones.

Sometimes I only buy the cheap item, but I generally come out with something more.
I don't know, Once Upon a Time in Mexico only made $55 million deomestically, meanwhile Lost in Translation made only $35 million, but is winning Golden Globes and Oscar nominations. I'd think they'd rate pretty much the same.

Of course, actual sales of the movies will help tell the story, although LIT's higher price (across most stores) won't help it's sales
Old 02-05-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently picked up Once Upon a Time in Mexico for $15.99 and Time Bandits for $14.99 I felt these prices were fair, especially for the double disc TB. Most of the time, I'll just scour the Sunday ads, pick the one with the cheapest price on a new release, and price match at BB. That way I can still get the rewardzone points...
Old 02-15-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
And looking through the music DVDs, I've discovered that the Guns and Roses video colletion, as well as Judas Priest's "Electric Eye," both which have a MSRP of ~$15, both sell at Best Buy for $17.99.
The Guns and Roses video is priced at $11.43 CDN ($USD 8.75) at Superstore in Canada.
Old 02-18-04, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE
Yup, it kinda annoys me to shop at Best Buy for anime for these exact reasons.

It probably also doesnt help that i like smaller, less popular series.

One of these days "Those who hunt Elves"....you will be mine.
JUst wait for a weekly sale at Rightstuf.com(new sales start every thursday). They will deeply mark down some titles(popular and obscure) as well as having a company coupon to use for the week(An ADV sale should be coming up in 3 months or so, but you never know). Add in a 10% off discount if you get a Got Anime? membership for $12(not valid on weekly special, but valid with other coupon), and free shipping on $99 orders, and you can get a sweet discount on things.

They are hands down, the best anime retailor online. Their customer service is top-notch. Company president Shawne K. can be found almost daily at the in the retail sub-forum over at AnimeOnDVD.com to answer question, solve problems, etc.

Word of advice, try and get any new products before pre-order cutoff and use a coupon, their regular prices are pretty much retail, but a coupon can even help that. Also, they're good about getting any LE products, but you must make your pre-order early.

Those Who Hunt Elves(both volumes from both series 1 and 2) are $26.98 right now in case you're interested.