Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Messy Store

Old 01-29-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Messy Store

Have you ever left a store without making a purcase beacuse it is so messy?
I just stopped at the dollar store here by my house and left after 5 minutes without buying anything. The store was a disaster. There were boxes of merchandise in the middle of every asile that had been opend and everything spilling out onto the floor. The shelves were basically empty and you had to pick things up off the floor or in different areas.
As I was leaving, a lady was discussing with the cashier that her baby's paicfier was missing and might be in the bottom of a box of ladies underwear in the shoe section.
Old 01-29-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think people that shop at dollar stores usually have less discriminating tastes.
Old 01-29-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Dollar store"

Therein lies the problem.

--LVM
Old 01-29-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't expect it to be spotless, but I did think it would be possible to buy cleaning products without tripping over other things.
Old 01-29-04, 10:53 PM

Walmart is usually that way in my town. Crap all over the place. And not just on the shelves too.
Old 01-29-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by girlnexxxtdoor
I didn't expect it to be spotless, but I did think it would be possible to buy cleaning products without tripping over other things.
...and this would seem logical for any human being with a modicum of intelligence. Unfortunately, you are expecting a lot if you take into consideration the amount of time it takes some of these people to ring up a sale when the items are each $1.
Old 01-30-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't been able to step into a Dollar Store without being harassed since I played a serial killer in a dramatic re-enactment segment on America's Most Wanted back in 2002. I try and informl the people there that I'm just an actor, but they don't believe me.

If you're ever offered a part on America's Most Wanted, take my advice and don't do it!
Old 01-30-04, 10:20 AM

I haven't been able to step into a Dollar Store without being harassed since I played a serial killer in a dramatic re-enactment segment on America's Most Wanted back in 2002
Are you serious? That's fascinating! I'll keep your advice in mind, although the opportunity is not likely to present itself to me.
Old 01-30-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't care about messy stores, but I do care about how long the wait is to get through the checkout lines. I've left stores after waiting a while, but if the lines are too long, or the sales clerks too incompetent, then I just leave.
Old 01-30-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by spankasmurf
Walmart is usually that way in my town. Crap all over the place. And not just on the shelves too.
Walmart is that way in every town. Sure it's spotless at the grand opening but after a few month's it becomes just another John's Bargin Store.
Old 01-30-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by garolo
Walmart is that way in every town. Sure it's spotless at the grand opening but after a few month's it becomes just another John's Bargin Store.
It really comes down to the age old adage: You get what you pay for.

There is a reason there is a large bin in the middle of the aisle filled with $5.50 DVDs. No customer service. No person to chat about movies too. Just a bin filled with DVDs.

If I want to pay double (sometimes triple) the price, but have a beautiful setting, I would go down the street to DVD Planet B&M or even Tower Records Flagship.

--LVM
Old 02-02-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed with the other posts....go to a cheap bargain store and expect disorganization, mess, etc....go to the nicer but more expensive store, you get better environment, better employees, etc
Old 02-03-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoy going to the "Everything For A Dollar" store and repeatedly picking things up and asking the clerk, "How much for this?"
Old 02-03-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never seen a Wal-Mart that was a mess. I'm not saying they don't get that way, but I haven't really seen it.

K-Mart on the other hand, now there's a toilet.
Old 02-03-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numanoid
I enjoy going to the "Everything For A Dollar" store and repeatedly picking things up and asking the clerk, "How much for this?"
As a former manager of a Dollar store, this one never got old. [/sarcasm].

While yes, people at the dollar stores generally get paid less than, oh, anywhere else, a lot of the attitude comes from management and how they treat their store and employees. My stores were full, yes, but I always took pride in having it 'friendly' and not a mess [I hate that too, when I go shopping.] If the manager comes to work every day thinking 'I'm only going to put in my 12 and go home' and not care about it, sure, that will carry itself over to the employees. From my personal experience, it has been more from the customers--I would spend half of every day organizing and facing stock, and the remaining half picking up crap from lazy customers who pick up something on aisle 1, then decide they don't want it on aisle 3 and drop it down there. I guess they think 'It's only the dollar store, who cares.' Well, the people who have to pick up after you to make my store look good, when you walk out of here after buying a .33 candy bar, and 'relocating' eight dollars worth of goods.
I have also been in 'expensive' stores that have been trashed, and most of that, again, is due to customers. How hard is it to put stuff back where you got it, or at least give it to a cashier/clerk and say 'I don't really want this.'

And about the cashiers--I have been to major grocery stores where the kids behind the counter take 20 minutes to ring up my stuff. On the AUTOMATIC registers. Find the UPC, scan it, that's it! When I worked in a store, I could ring up twice the amount of stuff, in half the time, manually [where we actually had to type the numbers in on the register.] And God forbid the power go out. 'I can't check you out, the register is down.' Here's a calculator, get to work.

Kmart and Winn Dixie, to me, always 'feel' dirty/messy. They may not be, I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but that's the feel I get.

I do agree, that the event in Girlnexxxtdoor's post, is unacceptable. That sounds like poor planning--dollar stores have to move lot of product from the stockroom to the shelves, but the way they were doing it at that store is unprofessional. I have actually been impressed with my local dollar stores' organization and stocking recently.

FWIW, the easiest data I found was for FY 2001, showing that Dollar Tree Stores Inc. posted a 1.99 billion $ sales volume for 2001, an increase of 17.7% from the previous FY. Not bad for a store where 'everything's a buck.'
Old 02-03-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what did you expect? Rodeo Drive material?
Old 02-04-04, 12:21 AM
Banned

Circuit City is pretty messy. At least the DVD section is.

I hate searching for titles there.
Old 02-04-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While it is out of business now, the Ames stores always had that filthy feel to them. Every single one. There was also a smell that was noticible.

The one in Utica used to be a Zayers that was bought and converted into a Ames years ago. I remember going into Ames the first time and noticed everything was exactly the same except Ames signs were up in place of Zayers signs. Exact same merchandise in the exact same locations. Same dirty feel to it.

One great memory of Ames is when they screwed up in their sunday ads. It was after Star Wars Ep1 and it said all Star Wars toys 75% off. They forgot to say LEGO was excluded. So I went to a couple of stores and picked up a TON of Star Wars LEGO sets for 75% off. They couldn't do anything to stop me since it was in the ad.
Old 02-04-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My local Gamestops all have their pre-owned Playstation titles stacked on a well shelf, in no concievable order. Keep in mind, there's a few hundred titles to choose from. After a minute or so, I usually just give up if I can't spot what I'm looking for.
Old 02-12-04, 09:46 PM

The gamestop near Southridge in Milwaukee is horrible.

The store is quite large (compared to other Gamestop stores I've been to), yet most of the store is empty. Just a few tables with junk piled on them.

The area behind the counter was so full of crap (open boxes, returns, overflowing garbage cans, ect) that the employees could not get to the cases to get games out for customers.

I will never go to a Gamestop store again (and when I say never, I mean at least a few months).

/Benjamin