Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BEWARE: Best Buy's Price Matching policy!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

BEWARE: Best Buy's Price Matching policy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the wording of the price match policy? I've always thought the price match was synonomous with the price guarantee.
Old 02-14-05, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't seem to find the exact wording of the price match policy on the web page, but they should make them synonymous. When a price match is done at a register, it should just take the extra 10% off but it doesnt work that way because getting the 110% is considered a 'refund of the difference plus 10%' and not '10% off their price'. It's stupid and I don't like it, I'm just trying to explain the difference.
yeah, I agree with you. I know for a fact that stores like Circuit City, Sears, and Staples will give you 110% of the difference at the time of price matching.
Old 02-15-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
I took Target's current ad (Bourne Identity $10, Ocean's Eleven $7.50) to Circuit City yesterday...

No hassle, got BI for $9.50 and O11 for $7.25
Old 02-21-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I never have any of these problems with the Best Buys around here.Even yesterday they did a pricematch for me for The Rundown which was $10 at Target and i didnt even bring in the ad.They usually dont even check,they just take my word for it.
Old 03-06-05, 01:36 PM
Suspended

I have a question. This week Circuit City has the samsung hd841 on sale for $149.99. I think the price is $179 at Best Buy. So here is my question........ Do I take the flyer to Bestbuy and tell them I want to buy the samsung hd841 and then show them the CC flyer. Will they give me 110% off of the Samsung at BB? I'm trying to figure out how to the 110% difference. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-07-05, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by tacos
I have a question. This week Circuit City has the samsung hd841 on sale for $149.99. I think the price is $179 at Best Buy. So here is my question........ Do I take the flyer to Bestbuy and tell them I want to buy the samsung hd841 and then show them the CC flyer. Will they give me 110% off of the Samsung at BB? I'm trying to figure out how to the 110% difference. Thanks for any help.
tacos, you have to buy the item at full price at BestBuy, then go back a couple days later (to avoid hassle) and have them match the CC ad. They should give you the 10% discount.
Old 03-07-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had to deal with the whole "call CC" thing and bitching with the manager this week over MVP Baseball 2005. I got it for $29.99 last week at BB, and it's advertised as $19.99 at CC this week.

The CSR called CC, and CC claims they don't sell a PC Version of MVP Baseball. So I informed them that CC does in fact sell it, and it's the only version on sale in their flyer. I had to talk to the manager, and requested that he call a second Circuit City, because I knew that other area stores have it (I live in Boston, so there are a ton in and around the city). He ended up just giving me the money back, and told me to "Just go to Circuit City next time." I was a bit shocked, but then again, I'm a demon customer...
Old 06-14-05, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
So here is my story:

He says, "I would have to again call up CC to see if they had it in stock, then we would refund you the difference."
I say, "nowhere is it stated in any of your price matching policies that an item must be in stock for you to price match, it only says advertised price which I have clearly proven to you with the ad I have presented."
He says he can't do anything about it and I request to see the manager.
The manager arrives and gives me the same BS and that apparently it is new store policy to price match only when the advertised item is in stock.
I would have taken his name and told him I was going to write to Best Buy's corporate HQ, with a CC to the Stat Attorney General's office (whether you planned to do so or not). It is a violation of Consumer Fraud laws to advertise a policy one way, and then try to enforce it another way. They may very well have changed their policy, but until they change their signs in the store, they are obligated to honor the policy they have posted.

As a general rule, taking out a pen and paper and writing down the guy's name does wonders for ensuring compliance with stated instore policies (just make sure you are talking to the highest authority in the store).
Old 06-14-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is something else I've noticed. They are starting to ring price matches up as returns and re-buys which will NOT give you the additional 10% off the difference at the service desk. If your receipt that you got when you PMed says "RETURN" at the top, even if it reads "Matched with competitors price" on it, it will NOT have the extra 10% off the matched price. It has to say "PRICE MATCH" at the top of the receipt.

The functions are two different things on their systems unless that has changed recently. I think BB might have started to encourage employees to do the return and re-buy instead of price match in order to stop having to shell out that additional money to the consumer.
Old 06-15-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had an interesting experience at BB today. Since the beginning of the year, I've been getting the 110% pricematch by buying at the register, and then immediately going over to Customer Service and telling them of the lower price elsewhere. I had one little snag near the beginning with a manager, but she gave in (because the extra 10% only ends up being 10-20 cents anyways). I've had one CSR handling almost all of these transactions since I come in at opening on Tuesday. I'm usually in and out of Customer Service in less than a minute.

So I go in today, and this new CSR is there. I tell her I want the 110% PM, and she says they only do 100%. I point to the sign, and say "that's not what your policy states", and she says something like "That's only if you buy it somewhere else", which makes absolutely no sense. So I ask her "If I buy this at CC, then I can come here and get the PM and 10% of the difference?" and she agrees with that. Anyways, she calls over a more experienced CSR to help handle the situation, and finally agrees to give me the 110% PM. The other CSR says that it should already take the 110% into consideration in the computer when doing a PM on a previously purchased item. So, she does the PM (2.00 + tax back, should be 2.20 + tax with the 10%). She says "2.13 will be added back to your card," and I say "That's not right, it should probably be like 2.30 something." Then, with the other CSR standing right there, she says "Are you serious? I think I have a quarter in my pocket." I found this very rude, but didn't say anything. The other CSR told her to go ahead and ring it up as $13.79 (which was the price I should've been charged with the 110% PM), and I guess it took the 110% that time, and I actually got a couple cents more back.

It was definately a hassle, and hopefully the CSR I regularly deal with will be back next time I have to do a PM, because I hate having to explain to an employee their own damned policy. The reason I don't go to CC to begin with is because it's a little farther down the road, and I wouldn't get my RZ points there.

I should just get a shirt that says "Devil Customer" and go up to Customer Service, because I know that's what they're thinking.
Old 06-15-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
...snip... "Are you serious? I think I have a quarter in my pocket." I found this very rude, but didn't say anything. ...snip...
My philosophy, money is better in your pocket than BestBuy's. We as a society work to hard to just willy-nilly give it out unless absolutely necessary. (Yeah, I know some could argue you shouldn't be spending your money on un-necessary DVDs, suspend that argument for the sake of this comment.) I would have said "Yes, I am, but I'm sure BestBuy would much rather have you giving me their money than your own. The system will give the correct amount when you've done a Price Match on the computer using the appropriate option."

Call me "cheap," "spendthrift," whatever you want, but I'm not going to willingly give out my money when I'm entitled to it by their own policy. If I was told the policy had been changed, I would have requested written verification from their Corporate Headquarters or the phone number to reach someone for verification (I always carry my cell phone.).

Slap a "Devil Customer" shirt on me as well I guess.
Old 06-15-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
You know why they do that? I guarantee 90% of people would not want to go through the trouble for 30 cents. They did that to me one time (didn't give me the 10%), and though I spent half a minute arguing with the CS rep, I didn't have the time to wait for her to get someone else involved, then wait for another transaction to get 20 cents back.
Old 06-15-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath

I should just get a shirt that says "Devil Customer" and go up to Customer Service, because I know that's what they're thinking.
I want one of those. Must be bright red!!