DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Blockbuster Freedom Pass (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/339873-blockbuster-freedom-pass.html)

strider209 01-08-04 01:53 AM

Blockbuster Freedom Pass

I just joined Blockbuster Freedom Pass. Anyone have any opinions of this program compared to Hollywood Video's rental promo or online places like Netflix? From what I know Netflix basic service is 3 at a time for $19.99/mo. Freedom Pass is 2 at a time for $19.99/mo (promo price-usually $24.99/mo) I drive by Blockbuster everyday to/from work anyway so I figured if I really wanted to, I could get 2 new movies every day I work. SO give me your opinions please, I'm deciding if I should stick with Freedom Pass or switch to something else.

Yakuza Bengoshi 01-08-04 06:38 AM

Speaking personally, I'd rather have access to the wider selection of films available through Netflix.

tonyc3742 01-08-04 07:09 AM

Agreed.
Obviously if it's convenient to you, which yours is, you can save a lot of time that NF would use in shipping, and could conceivably get to watch a lot of DVD's. But for me, personally, it probably wouldn't take long to either
A. watch everything BB had that I was interested in or
B. keep finding the things I really wanted out of stock, and cancelling my membership.

For 19.99/mo, you can get more at one time thru NF, but you might make that up with the convenience of the store. I assume the Freedom Pass requires no contract?
19.99 a month I'd consider, if there were one more convenient to me and their stock was good, 24.99 is too much. Try it for a month, and see what you think--if you go in there 3 out of 5 times, and can't find anything you want to watch, that's not a good sign. For me, NF's selection [anime, tv series, and cult] and convenience [drop in the mailbox] beats Blockbuster any day, but that might not be the same for you. One advantage BB does have, is they rent both disks of a movie at one time [like Pirates of the Caribbean, both the movie and the extras. NF rents them separate. Both rent TV on DVD one disk at a time.]

Movie_Man 01-08-04 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Speaking personally, I'd rather have access to the wider selection of films available through Netflix.
:thumbsup:

~~ PAL ~~ 01-08-04 01:48 PM

No doubt Netflix has MUCH better selection. But depend on where you live, the trurnaround on DVD shipped can be maddening.

strider209 01-09-04 01:07 AM

Well I'll probably try netflix next. Freedom Pass has no contract so you can just go month-to-month. I'm mostly into movies that were originally from the theaters (i.e. no series, anime, etc.) so I wouldn't be watching any Simpons, Star Trek TV series, Cowboy Beebop, etc. With this being said would there be a better selection through netflix or would Blockbuster be the same?

heyitsDAVER 01-12-04 01:59 PM

I say as long as you don't get bored with blockbuster's suggestion, stick with it!