Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Shadiness with amazon marketplace

Old 01-07-04, 09:28 PM

Shadiness with amazon marketplace

I've been selling old DVDs on amazon marketplace every now then. Maybe about 20% of the time when I list something at a low price, I get an email saying sale pending because the buyer's credit card hasn't been updated. Unless the "buyer" updates their credit card (never happened) the sale will be cancelled after 72 hours. What this amounts to is that my listing is lost in limbo for three days while other people can sell their copies of the same DVD at higher prices. I'm wondering if this happens to a lot of other people & whether that many buyers out there really try and use bad credit cards or other sellers are deliberately removing lower priced items from the listings so they can sell theirs at higher prices.
Old 01-07-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking from personal experience, I know when I update my CC info on amazon.com, it doesn't automatically make the new card I entered in as the default card, so there have been a couple times I placed an order forgetting to select the new card or to go in and set the new card as the default, and it tries to charge the order to an inactive card. I generally don't find out about it until later, usually after 72 hours, it seems, unless I go to the site and check on the order myself, which I rarely do. Once I place it, and I forgot about the card, I just think everything is ok. It's usually when I am thinking, "Damn, I should have gotten that by now" that I check on it. So, yeah, I can see how something like this could happen 20% of the time. When it happened to me, it was just an honest mistake.
Old 01-07-04, 10:15 PM

no_creativity: i've had this happen to me a couple times too. incredibly annoying because i have to hold the dvd until the buyer responds which most of the time they never bother. i then have to relist the item. argh!

Kat