Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

You *MUST* look at this E-bay auction

Old 01-06-04, 04:38 AM
Suspended

You *MUST* look at this E-bay auction

Well, I wasnt sure if this should go in hot deals or over here - so hard to tell on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2585531466

And the thing is, check the other auctions from the seller - the guy has DOZENS of like items. Do people on E-Bay have no shame?

And more importantly - why am I not getting in on this action? Hell, I can rip up a mag with the best of them!
Old 01-06-04, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Interesting...

I suppose if it works for him and his worth his time...
Old 01-06-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see how it could be, he's got 3 or so pages of auctions, I think 3 have minimum bids on them.
Old 01-06-04, 11:12 AM

i think the jackass is trying to trick people into thinking he's selling DVD's. really, who wants an old Star Trek ad from Best Buy. But, there are stupid people out there who may fall for it.

Kind of like the guy selling XBOX's on eBay years ago. Inhis ad he said that it wasn't a real XBOX. it was a box with an X writen onit with marker. he sold a few for $300. this was just before XBOX hit the US market... jeeeesh!
Old 01-06-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess it works for him ..... he got positive feedback for the M&M's ad he sold!
Old 01-06-04, 01:54 PM

He's got quite a few positive reviews for those dumb ads, at $2-3 each and $2.25 shipping, it's $4-5 per ad minus shipping and ebay costs. Definitely a creative way to support a magazine-reading habit!
Old 01-06-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by BlockbusterDude
i think the jackass is trying to trick people into thinking he's selling DVD's.
I think you're off base on this one. The description is accurate and the item is listed in the appropriate category: Entertainment > Memorabilia > Television Memorabilia > Ads, Flyers
Old 01-07-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"One man's trash is another man's treasure. "
Old 01-07-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BlockbusterDude
i think the jackass is trying to trick people into thinking he's selling DVD's. really, who wants an old Star Trek ad from Best Buy.
No, you're wrong. People actually collect magazine ads, as silly as it may sound. I thought the same thing as you at first until I checked on his other auctions and saw all the Absolut ads he was selling. Those are highly collectible.

I think the guy's main problem is that he's selling ads that are extremely common, where as most people collect the unique. Certain Absolut ads ran once in a single magazine only, and are collectable. The lame Star Trek ad that ran in 20 magazines a week for 6 weeks, not so much.
Old 01-07-04, 09:20 AM

This is Star Trek. There are fans who collect everything associated with the show. There is a market for this stuff. I don't think this guy is trying to fool anybody.
Old 01-08-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I've seen this same practice at car shows. There's always at least on vendor selling car ads from magazines, newspapaers etc.. Heck I even found one for a Mustang II ( I had one in high school) that I bought just because I thought it was pretty funny that Ford was pushing this as a real Mustang.

It's all nostalgia, and looks like he's makig some money off of it. More power to 'em.
Old 01-08-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crazy.
Old 01-09-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, at least he tears them out nice....
Old 01-10-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't collect ads, but I guess I can see why this would be an interesting hobby to have. I have saved a couple ads out of magazines in the past that I just thought were cool and unique, such as one that at a glance looked like a zebra with a necklace but at closer look, it was a human hand painted to look like a zebra's head with a watch on the wrist.
Old 01-12-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see the big deal. There are some characters at theforce.net who feel a need to buy everything star wars.
Old 01-13-04, 10:16 PM

Some people use them to get autographs on also. But they are usually rare ads, not these common ones. Kind of strange people will spend $2 on an ad when they can go to the store and buy the entire magazine for $2 to $5.
Old 01-13-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I think you're off base on this one. The description is accurate and the item is listed in the appropriate category: Entertainment > Memorabilia > Television Memorabilia > Ads, Flyers
I didn't know there was a category for Ads, but with over 500 items, it seems to have an audience.