DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy Best At Poor Service.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/337787-best-buy-best-poor-service.html)

DVD Smurf 12-27-03 07:37 PM

Best Buy Best At Poor Service....

I must vent my anger over Best Buys Customer Services despicable behavior. It is not the first time, it all began five years ago with a PC that I bought through them and their horrendous service (Iended up returning the PC after their terrible treatment of my willingness to purchase a PC for $1700). The last occurrence was a purchase of a copy of the Bad Boys 2, which I ordered on Dec. 6th, which I still have not received. I have called twice, the first time they told me to call back on Dec. 24th and I waited until today Dec. 27th. They told me that I have to wait until tomorrow, when the post office DO NOT deliver, and call them up again, which I informed the gentleman about. Nevertheless, the nincompoop told me to call back tomorrow. These infantile minds have no respect for the buyer, since they are a huge franchise and will get the money form other customers. I want to say, “Boycott Best Buy”, however, I see the fruitlessness in this and what others have to say. Anyway, I just want to vent, if someone else feel the same please continue build the thread.

wm lopez 12-27-03 09:50 PM

Just by the way they go about their price matching is good reason not to go there.

DVD Smurf 01-10-04 03:53 PM

I must vent again... this is in regards to the order above, I have called again to day to have my money returned to my account. All they say is, "I am sorry." But they seem incapable of getting anything done. How hard is it to return the money to my account? For them, it seems to be harder then quantum-physics... :(

taa455 01-10-04 11:34 PM

I tried to cancel a Best Buy order that hadn't shipped yet and got what sounded like the standard response. "We are sorry for the inconvience but your order has reached a point in processing which is beyond cancellation." This was in an email. Btw, they proceeded in the same email to advertise more of their stuff. Then a day later I got another email which says my item was on backorder and IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL, contact customer service. IF I would like to cancel? IF??? All they care about is money, money, money. They care nothing for quality individual service. Well, they won't be getting any more of my money.

And another thing, someone bought a camcorder from BB for me as a gift. The BB salesman convinced the person that they needed to buy the extended service plan. The salesman made it sound crucial, and the buyer believed him and forked over the additional $150. (This person knows little about electronics.) So when she gave me the gift she tells me I need to go get the camera cleaned once per year. It's covered by the service plan, she says, and the salesman told me it is very important to bring the camera in for cleaning. I knew it was b.s., but I took the camera in just to make her happy. Sure enough, all they did was run a head cleaning tape through. It must have took them all of 2 minutes to do it. The funny thing is they told me I could pick it up in an hour. I walked off like I was going to look around the store, but I kept the camera in sight the whole time. The camera sat on a counter for about 30 minutes, then the guy ran the head cleaner through. That was it! I watched the whole time. Best buy sucks!

cubanx 01-11-04 03:13 AM

Other share your pain

tasha99 01-11-04 11:54 AM

I'm no expert, but I think I would:

1. Buy a copy somewhere else
2. Initiate a chargeback on my card due to non-receipt of goods
3. Mark any mail from Best Buy refused

?? I'm pretty sure a cc company would back you up, plus BB would lose both the money you paid them plus a fee for the chargeback

calhoun07 01-11-04 06:17 PM

Originally posted by taa455
I tried to cancel a Best Buy order that hadn't shipped yet and got what sounded like the standard response. "We are sorry for the inconvience but your order has reached a point in processing which is beyond cancellation." This was in an email. Btw, they proceeded in the same email to advertise more of their stuff. Then a day later I got another email which says my item was on backorder and IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL, contact customer service. IF I would like to cancel? IF??? All they care about is money, money, money. They care nothing for quality individual service. Well, they won't be getting any more of my money.

And another thing, someone bought a camcorder from BB for me as a gift. The BB salesman convinced the person that they needed to buy the extended service plan. The salesman made it sound crucial, and the buyer believed him and forked over the additional $150. (This person knows little about electronics.) So when she gave me the gift she tells me I need to go get the camera cleaned once per year. It's covered by the service plan, she says, and the salesman told me it is very important to bring the camera in for cleaning. I knew it was b.s., but I took the camera in just to make her happy. Sure enough, all they did was run a head cleaning tape through. It must have took them all of 2 minutes to do it. The funny thing is they told me I could pick it up in an hour. I walked off like I was going to look around the store, but I kept the camera in sight the whole time. The camera sat on a counter for about 30 minutes, then the guy ran the head cleaner through. That was it! I watched the whole time. Best buy sucks!

Does your friend know she squandered her money on the worthless service plan? It's not brain surgery to clean your electronics at home, really. Why anybody would pay Best Buy hundreds of dollars to do two minutes of work is beyond me.

tjr2mental 01-11-04 09:29 PM

Originally posted by taa455
You know, you have 30 days to return the plan for a full refund. If you don't want it just return it. Once the 30 days are past, you can return it for a prorated refund.

Oh, if the camera was bought anytime after Nov. 11th, you have till Jan. 26th to return the plan for the full refund. They extend the return policy for the christmas season.

taa455 01-12-04 12:45 AM

Originally posted by tjr2mental
You know, you have 30 days to return the plan for a full refund. If you don't want it just return it. Once the 30 days are past, you can return it for a prorated refund.

Oh, if the camera was bought anytime after Nov. 11th, you have till Jan. 26th to return the plan for the full refund. They extend the return policy for the christmas season.

The camera was purchased over two years ago.

taa455 01-12-04 12:51 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Does your friend know she squandered her money on the worthless service plan? It's not brain surgery to clean your electronics at home, really. Why anybody would pay Best Buy hundreds of dollars to do two minutes of work is beyond me.
You speak the truth for sure! The person who bought it is my mother in law. She has no idea when it comes to electronics, just the type of person Best Buy preys on with their service plans. The fact that they push these useless plans so hard on people who are unsuspecting and oblivious just ticks me off a little. My M.I.L is an overly trusting person, to a fault. She was totally duped by the salesperson's "advice" (or I should say SCAM).

JestersTear 01-13-04 02:54 PM

I just had my own Best Buy horror story.

Bought a DVD player, purchased the 2 year warranty.

One week after having the palyer, movies like LotR:TTT start to freeze up, so I take the player in.

A week and a half later, I'm told that there's nothing wrong with my player, and I now have to pay a $24.95 ransom to get my player back. I ask where it says that I have to pay this $24.95, and they point to a section of the paper I signed when I dropped the player off, which says that I agree to pay the amount in the upper left hand corner. Well, that amount in the upper left-hand corner was $0.00

Then a smarmy department head comes out and also refuses to give me my player.

After arguing and having my family threaten to stop sending $500-$1k a month at Best Buy, I finally have to cancel the useless warranty to get the money to get my player back.

I call their customer service number, and get no help there. I'm told that my DVD player must not play that type of disc. Hmmm, 2 other players in the house, each at least 3 years old, have no problem playing the disc, but this brand new one can't? Bull.

Then another manager says that I should have been allowed to return the player because it was under a month old. OK, I want to return the player now. No, he says, because it's already been serviced. But wait, I say, it hasn't been serviced, your service statement says that someone was paid to watch it for 8 hours. No dice still. However, since I was never informed that I could return the player, I'm refunded my $24.95

The manager keeps trying to get me to purchase the service plan again, but can't promise me that I won't be put through this crap again.

So, to make a long story short, Best buy has lost about $1000 a month in sales because they were hard-asses over a $24.95 charge.

heffalump 01-18-04 02:22 AM

CS - not!

Their customer service is a joke. Once when I was still a customer, I purchased an item over the web and selected in-store pickup.

They tried to sell me a box that was beat up like it had been dragged from the truck, so I calmly asked for a newer box.

The final straw was they wouldn't give me a reciept. They said their was a problem with their computer and that I could just use my email confirmation as a receipt. Right.

Finally I asked what a person off the street would get if they went in and bought one from the store, would they get a receipt? When they assured me he would, I asked them to return my first order and bought the same item, just so I could have a receipt. One CSR, another CSR and then a third CSR later, I got what I came for. A non-beat up box and a receipt.

guess what happens if you try and leave the store with a product w/o a receipt? right! they ask you to wait until they call up and speak with a CSR.

Hullo 01-25-04 05:27 PM

I'm sorry to say, but Best Buy is a joke.

Deftones 01-26-04 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Rockmjd23
ive worked at BB and yes the customer service is a joke, in fact it is fun to argue. but what isnt a joke is the $182,000,000(across the company) that our department (cds, dvds, and video games) made over the holiday season alone ;) so obviously a few miserable whiny customers doesnt matter to them at all.
could you shill for BB anymore around here? I used to work for BB as well, but you don't see me bragging about their sales numbers or the amount of PSPs they did a day. Frankly, nobody gives a rats ass how much they sell except for the stockholders, and I'd be willing to bet that 99.99% of the posters here aren't. So, in summation, quit throwing that $182 million dollar figure around. kthxbye

gcribbs 01-26-04 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Deftones
could you shill for BB anymore around here? I used to work for BB as well, but you don't see me bragging about their sales numbers or the amount of PSPs they did a day. Frankly, nobody gives a rats ass how much they sell except for the stockholders, and I'd be willing to bet that 99.99% of the posters here aren't. So, in summation, quit throwing that $182 million dollar figure around. kthxbye
didn't Walmart make that in one day after Thanksgiving?

Sounds like Best Buy is struggling to me ;)

Best Buy is like any other major retailer. If you get a good manager/csr you get good service. if you do not you get bad service.

Retailers pay low wages in general so good employees rarely stay for long.

LasVegasMichael 01-26-04 07:25 AM

Knock wood, I have bought several DVDs online, and never had to talk to a single person abut anything.

So far, I have been very satisfied with thier site, but by and large, their prices can be beat elsewhere online (they are usually my last resort, after DDD and CH, and occasionally DVDPL).

I used to frequent the B&M store, but not as much any more. I try to get most of my bigger stuff at Costco.

--LVM