DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Xmas returns w/o receipt (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/337572-xmas-returns-w-o-receipt.html)

Bruce_S 12-26-03 02:55 AM

Xmas returns w/o receipt

I got a PS2 game and some dvd's for xmas but didn't received a gift receipt. Where is the best place to return w/o any hassle?

Has anyone ever had such returns at Fry's or Walmart w/any trouble?

thanks in advance,
bruce

squi23 12-26-03 08:48 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=336914

I'm gonna try BestBuy unless they pull that 30 day crap and try to give me some stupid low price. Then I'll just take it somewhere else and see what they'll offer (Target most likely)

TheKing 12-26-03 08:49 AM

I wouldn't try Fry's without a receipt. They're bad enough even when you have one!

I'm going to try Wal-Mart today for a couple of DVD's I got without receipts.

Bruce_S 12-26-03 07:09 PM

I drove down to Fry's and returned a PS2 game and a dvd w/o a receipt and had no trouble. I was quiet suprised -- they just entered the UPC number in their system to checked for the lowest price in the past 90 days and I received an in store credit. They asked for my name and didn't ask for my license.

Kudos for Fry's...

-bruce

TheKing 12-26-03 10:43 PM

I returned a couple of DVD's to Wal-Mart w/o a receipt this morning with no problems. They gave me a gift card, although they did ask for ID when making the gift card.

Aphex Twin 12-26-03 11:32 PM

TheKing...which Walmart did you go to?

porieux 12-27-03 05:17 PM

Think it would be possible to exchange a PS2 that was bought in June for a new one to get the new progressive model? When I bought it in June I thought it was the new model (and others here said they had gotten the new one) and of course it turned out that it wasn't. I do have the receipt from Target but don't know if they would do it...

TheKing 12-27-03 05:38 PM

The one at the Mall Of Orange.

I also stopped by the one in Anaheim, and from what I saw they were taking back without receipts there as well, but I personally didn't return anything there.

dvd-fanman 12-28-03 01:53 AM

Wal-Mart will only permit 3 non-receipted returns per rolling calendar year (if you return today 12/28/03, you can return two more transactions with no receipt before 12/28/04). After that the computer will lock you out after the Associate puts in your driver's license number. They'll also be able to see all of the returns you have done in the past and where they took place.

bahgee 12-29-03 08:08 AM

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Wal-Mart will only permit 3 non-receipted returns per rolling calendar year (if you return today 12/28/03, you can return two more transactions with no receipt before 12/28/04). After that the computer will lock you out after the Associate puts in your driver's license number. They'll also be able to see all of the returns you have done in the past and where they took place.
When you say 3 returns, do you mean three items or three times?

cdollaz 12-29-03 08:50 AM

Borders - No problem.

Walmart - No Problem.

Target - Problem. They would take it back, but I had to exchange it for something in the same dept. I'm really not into housewares, so I took it to Walmart instead. Thanks for nothing Target. I'll probably be shopping at Walmart more now instead of Target.

uteotw 12-29-03 12:03 PM

Cool. Sounds like Wal-Mart is the best bet, which is where I went last year with this same problem...

retihsuhnt 12-29-03 01:07 PM

Target in Albany, OR has a nice HUGE sign saying that without a receipt (dated within 90 days) all they can do is attempt to look up the purchase in their system or give you the manufacturer's phone number.

They must have really taken it in the shorts last year, because just like Wal Mart no questions asked upon a return following xmas.

dvd-fanman 12-30-03 12:49 AM

Originally posted by bahgee
When you say 3 returns, do you mean three items or three times?
Three transactions (times).

However, if the transactions with no receipts are large amounts or from certain key departments they will be flagged and will require approval from management in the store.

acallao 12-30-03 08:53 PM

I have had good luck returning Christmas stuff to Walmart, Borders, and Best Buy. Got shot down at Circuit City.