Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy holiday returns involving receipts - a question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-25-03, 11:24 PM

I have a few items I want to return that came from Best Buy this holiday. Some of them I have receipts for, a few, I do not. They were all gifts. I was curious if I will be able to get a refund on all of these items this year, if not at least store credit (I'd rather have a refund though).
Has anyone heard anything about how it will be handled this year? I did read that Circuit City will be giving refunds for all items even without a receipt, but I don't have a CC in my town.
Old 12-26-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Best Buy holiday returns involving receipts - a question

Originally posted by blindrocket
I have a few items I want to return that came from Best Buy this holiday. Some of them I have receipts for, a few, I do not. They were all gifts. I was curious if I will be able to get a refund on all of these items this year, if not at least store credit (I'd rather have a refund though).
Has anyone heard anything about how it will be handled this year? I did read that Circuit City will be giving refunds for all items even without a receipt, but I don't have a CC in my town.
In the past if you have some items that you got as gifts, but the gift giver did not give you a receipt or even gift receipt, BestBuy was more lenient in giving you store credit at this time of year even without a receipt, however, YMMV with your particular store.
Old 12-26-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At Circuit City, if you give the phone number of the gift giver that can be found in CC's computer system, and they paid cash, you can probably get cash back from CC, otherwise, the return will get you either store credit (in the form of a gift card), or a credit back to the gift giver's credit card.

Last edited by Patman; 12-26-03 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-26-03, 09:55 AM

There's a very good chance that bestbuy will NOT give a refund.

Chances are the gifts were purchased by credit card which means they'd credit the card and you'd be out a gift!

Considering that not having a reciept a bestbuy means it could be a little tricky to even get store credit (the other thread was talking about how they look for the lowest price in the past 30 days and credit you THAT amount), I would suggest you find a store that sells the items you want to return AND also carries the items you want instead and try to get a store credit there!

Good luck!
Old 12-26-03, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I JUST got off the phone with my local Best Buy... what they said was that for the items I do not have a receipt for, they will scan the item, if it is IN their system, they will give you STORE CREDIT for them.

Woohoo! Better than nothing.
Old 12-26-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But the store credit you get is the lowest price in Best Buy's system for the past 30 days, and that might mean getting much less than you expected.
Old 12-26-03, 10:07 AM

True... but I won't be out much if it's less than what they normally sell it for I don't think... especially with the items I have.
Old 12-26-03, 11:54 AM

GOOD NEWS. They gave me CURRENT prices refunded on all items.
The things I didn't have a receipt for went on a Best Buy Gift Card that doesn't expire.

EDIT:

But I realize I've created another problem. What do I spend 155 dollars on at Best Buy! hehe

Last edited by blindrocket; 12-26-03 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 03:16 PM

I returned a bunch of DVD's to BB friday with no problems. Been doing it for the last 3yrs now.

Yes, they give you store credit, which i use during the year at BB to picked up more DVD's that cost about the same as ordering via STL or some other deal.

I can get 5 of the ST:V box sets from them this year.
Old 12-29-03, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

Just returned some DVDs to BB. Just needed a driver's license. They gave me a gift card with the store credit. Does anyone know if you can use the gift card on bestbuy.com?
Old 12-30-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by acallao
Just returned some DVDs to BB. Just needed a driver's license. They gave me a gift card with the store credit. Does anyone know if you can use the gift card on bestbuy.com?
No, they cannot be used on bestbuy.com.
Old 12-30-03, 11:50 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-30-03, 12:52 PM

This is interesting. I have some things to return to Best Buy as well with no receipt. I was thinking about selling them on Ebay because in the past they have told me that they will not accept any DVDs back without a receipt, even if they are still sealed, but now I'll head over there first thanks to this thread.

I don't know how long this "Christmas Leniency" will last, but I will take the store credit even for the lowest sale price in their system if it means saving me the hassle.
Old 12-30-03, 02:19 PM

I really don't know where BB gets their lowest prices of the last 30-90 days from...I just went to exchange an extra MP3 player I got for xmas and got 35 dollars less than the price on the floor...believe me, I have never seen this player that low for sale...ever...especially in the last few months...why is that?
Old 12-31-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by yeek
I really don't know where BB gets their lowest prices of the last 30-90 days from...I just went to exchange an extra MP3 player I got for xmas and got 35 dollars less than the price on the floor...believe me, I have never seen this player that low for sale...ever...especially in the last few months...why is that?
That individual store could have chosen to sale price the item and it was not listed in the national ad. If the player was not selling management could have discounted to try to move the product. Thus it was the lowest price at THEIR store within the last 30-90 days or whatever time frame they use.
Old 12-31-03, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
That individual store could have chosen to sale price the item and it was not listed in the national ad. If the player was not selling management could have discounted to try to move the product. Thus it was the lowest price at THEIR store within the last 30-90 days or whatever time frame they use.
Yeah, I thought about that...but this particular player was just released a few months ago and the starting retail BB price was 149.99...just within the last 2 weeks they lowered the price to 129.99...guess what I got credited for...96.99!!! They wouldn't be sitting on the shelf for that price....