DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Returning DVD's without a receipt?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/336914-returning-dvds-without-receipt.html)

BlockbusterDude 12-21-03 10:20 AM

Returning DVD's without a receipt??

Yesterday I tried to return the Matrix DVD (still in plastic wrapper w/CC price sticker clearly still on it) to Circuit City. I didn't have the receipt and only wanted store credit. But CC wouldn't do jack for me without a receipt...
---------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Best Buy and Borders both worked for me the other day! They both took info from my driver's licence but gave me store credit/gift cards.. yahoooo!

==============================
*PLEASE SHARE YOUR "NO RECEIPT" SUCCESS AND FAILURE STORIES!!
*WHAT STORES HAVE WORKED BEST FOR YOU?

thanks,
--BBD

DVD Josh 12-21-03 10:23 AM

A member since 2001 doesn't know what forum to post in. That doesn't bode well for newbies.

BlockbusterDude 12-21-03 10:45 AM

oooops! my bad!

Originally posted by wfujosh
A member since 2001 doesn't know what forum to post in. That doesn't bode well for newbies.
My mistake dude... I posted too quickly without checking the forum I was in.. I reposted in the Stores Forum...

Doc Moonlight 12-21-03 10:54 AM

Wait until December 26. Most retailers are more lenient about returns policies the week after Christmas.

Patman 12-21-03 11:11 AM

I got something for my birthday from CC and went to CC today for store credit, and the service rep was giving me grief about not having a receipt, but luckily I was able to give them the name of the person who gave me the gift (and their phone number if needed), and they used that info to issue me store credit on a CC gift card. This is strictly and YMMV, and I also would count on the return policy being relaxed after 12/262003 when the returns come flowing back into the stores.

I wanted to do it now so I wouldn't subject myself to the long return lines after Christmas.

illennium 12-21-03 11:48 AM

I thought Circuit City did a whole ad campaign about a year ago about not needing a receipt for returns. What happened to that?

Subgeniusguy 12-21-03 12:13 PM

My friendly neighborhood Wally World has always taken back items without a receipt. Limited selection though.

iove 12-21-03 04:26 PM

For Circuit City DVDs they have a very distinctive square tag that is nearly impossible to remove clean. Few stores use that type of sensormatic tag. If that tag or remnants of it is still on there, they usually will take it back even without a receipt. If you have a DVD without the security sticker or the sticker remnants chances are the clerk suspects it wasn't purchased at a Circuity City store. If thats the case take it to a store that don't use the same security stickers like Bestbuy or Walmart. Those stores do keep track of returns without receipt via your driver's license so don't do it too often.

goatboy 12-21-03 06:29 PM

I've had luck returning dvds to suncoast in the past...after Christmas...without a receipt, but I had to take store credit. Of course, with higher prices, the credit doesn't go as far around there.

darqleo 12-21-03 06:45 PM

Suncoast/Media Play/Sam Goody

Ginwen 12-21-03 06:56 PM

Good to know that about Circuit City. I won't be buying any Christmas presents there if they continue that policy. Actually, a big reason I give so many books at Christmas is that they are easy to exchange if you don't want the exact book you receive.

Mr. Gore 12-21-03 07:32 PM

Circuit City advertises a "Hassle-Free" return policy, but I don't know if it ever included returns without a receipt. I hadn't had any problems this year at different CC locations returning items without a receipt. However, my mother tried to return a gift in October for store credit and was told that they couldn't do anything without a receipt. I don't know if that instance reflected a change in store policy or a rude clerk.

Currently on their Web site, CC states that they require proof of purchase:

"Hassle-free returns. As long as we have order confirmation or a record of your purchase in our system, we'll refund or exchange any gift. No questions. No hassles. No kidding."

For in-store returns of online purchases:
"Proof of purchase (e.g. order confirmation, packing slip or record of purchase in our system) is required for all returns."

POWERBOMB 12-22-03 12:06 AM

You can return it w/out receipt to a few place, but be ready to only get back the lowest price the item sold for in the last 30-90 days.

yeek 12-22-03 01:20 AM

I know Best Buy is really strict with returns w/o a recipt...even if your dvd has the best buy sticker price still attached they are still going to reject the return...and if you do happen to convince them, they'll put your driver's license info into the computer so you won't be able to keep doing it...I did it once about 4 years ago...I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still in the computer for that one return w/o a receipt....

Spooky 12-22-03 04:39 AM

I don't blame them for not taking it back. I have 100s of DVDs in my collection that are still shrink wrapped...does this mean I should be able to grab one and return it for credit a couple years after I bought it?

rfduncan 12-22-03 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
I don't blame them for not taking it back. I have 100s of DVDs in my collection that are still shrink wrapped...does this mean I should be able to grab one and return it for credit a couple years after I bought it?
As long as they carry the item, have a price for it and can resell it for the amount they credited you? YES.

Best Buy will take stuff like that back after 12/25. They're return without a receipt policy ONLY works for a few weeks after Christmas though so don't drag your feet!

eau 12-22-03 12:13 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Best Buy will take stuff like that back after 12/25. They're return without a receipt policy ONLY works for a few weeks after Christmas though so don't drag your feet!
But they will key in your Driver's License or ID and then blame you for life :)

I heard that if you return 3 times w/o receipt, they are going to blacklist you.

SC_Trojan 12-22-03 12:19 PM

My advice, if they still give you a bad time about it. Buy the same DVD before X-Mas and ask for a gift receipt. Return the new copy with its receipt and then return the other one with the gift receipt. The one with the gift receipt will only get you store credit though.

illennium 12-22-03 03:47 PM

Originally posted by eau
But they will key in your Driver's License or ID and then blame you for life :)

I heard that if you return 3 times w/o receipt, they are going to blacklist you.

I've heard this is true of Wal-Mart. Can anyone confirm for Best Buy?

illennium 12-22-03 03:52 PM

Originally posted by SC_Trojan
My advice, if they still give you a bad time about it. Buy the same DVD before X-Mas and ask for a gift receipt. Return the new copy with its receipt and then return the other one with the gift receipt. The one with the gift receipt will only get you store credit though.
I don't think this would work, since I'm pretty sure that each receipt somehow keys into the original transaction. Am I wrong about that?

DVDude! 12-22-03 05:00 PM

One word: Borders. I have returned probably a good 25 DVDs (individually, one at a time) to Borders without receipts with no problem whatsoever. Just to be safe, I return them to three different stores.

And before someone asks, yes, most were gifts. :)

danicus007 12-23-03 08:54 AM

Yes Best Buy does blacklist for a year after 3 Driver's license returns. However, they don't take anything back w/out a receipt anymore....save for after X-mas.

Pointyskull 12-23-03 01:53 PM

Wal-Mart

They take back ANYTHING....

yeek 12-23-03 03:23 PM

Do they take back other stuff besides dvd's/cd's w/o a receipt after xmas? I think I'm getting a mp3 player for xmas but I already have one so I was thinking about taking it back to best buy for store credit...will they do this? I haven't returned anything there in over 4 years w/o a receipt so I guess I shouldn't be in the computer system anymore....

BlockbusterDude 12-23-03 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
sure... why not??? they will sell it to the next guy... i see nothing wrong with that...