Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Unexpected Best Buy Credit Weirdness

Old 12-16-03, 01:15 PM

Unexpected Best Buy Credit Weirdness

Anybody else see or hear about any of this from Best Buy. Since yesterday I've gotten 3 separate $.02 credits from them on my CC. Usually when I've seen this kind of activity it means they've been hit with a virus or worse have gotten hacked. My only other theory is they've settled a lawsuit and are giving back the customers some "useful" amount of money for the settlement.
Old 12-16-03, 01:56 PM

Weird...just checked mine and I have a $.02 and a $.03 as of yesterday too.
Old 12-16-03, 02:11 PM
Cool New Member

Nothing posted on mine for BB. I do have another unrelated card that posted a $.03 credit for some settlement.
Old 12-16-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was it a Best Buy credit card, or just a typical Visa/Mastercard?
Old 12-16-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Moefuscious
Weird...just checked mine and I have a $.02 and a $.03 as of yesterday too.
The equivalent of one Amazon Trivia nickel!
Old 12-16-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just checked my visa and I have a .05 chargeback from Bestbuy.com.
Old 12-16-03, 07:42 PM

Same here, I have 3 different $.02 credits from Best Buy on my credit card, and I had 2 for the same amount last month. The credits were on my Amazon Visa, not my BB Card. In fact, I was just coming here to ask about it when I saw this thread.

Also, Like berg0449, I received a credit ($.04) from some type of settlement on another card (Citibank). I haven't even used this card in a couple of years.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 12-16-03 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't the credit card companies (or some of them) settle a dispute with major retailers over high fees this past year?
Old 12-17-03, 09:51 AM

Didn't the credit card companies (or some of them) settle a dispute with major retailers over high fees this past year?
Mine was on a Visa check card. I recently got a $.65 credit on another card but it actually stated what that it was from a settlement. This shows online that it was a credit from BestBuy.com, but I haven't got a physical statement for this month.

If I were to venture a guess right now, it seems like perhaps BestBuy.com may have been charging tax incorrectly. My understanding is they charge it based on where you live. For instore pickups at different locations, my tax can vary by .5%.

I'm hesitant to give them a call to sort out this $.06 as most of the time the customer service doesn't have a clue.
Old 12-17-03, 01:27 PM

Same here.
Old 12-17-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got 4 credits for 0.02 and 1 for 0.06. I called both BB and Citibank to see if my card was hacked. citibank said it wasn't and the credit came directly from BB. BB as always had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 12-18-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No credits on my account, and I practically live at Best Buy
Old 12-18-03, 12:28 PM

I just checked my account online and I have 2 more $.02 credits and a $.04 credit From BB, in addition to the ones mentioned above. I'm not really concerned about it, as long as they don't start making unexpected charges.

As another poster mentioned, these refunds may be to correct for instances in which they overcharged the tax on orders. 0n all my orders with them the tax was incorrect, but not by much - may 15 - 20 cents.

However, if this is the case, i don't see why they are issuing the credits in such small amounts - it seems like it would be easier to do it all at once.
Old 12-22-03, 02:42 PM

My guess is that they have a huge report they are working on. Each individual working on a particular report is crediting back whatever amount it was. If its not a human actually working on the report, then the computers are just working on the reports by days. So depending how many transactions you have, this will probably keep going. These are only my assumptions though.