Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Warning for Dvd Empire Rentals!

Old 12-14-03, 05:39 AM

Warning for Dvd Empire Rentals!

I have held this post an extra month out of courtesy to Dvd Empire to see if their service improved.It didn't.I signed up on Oct.14 and today is Dec.14-62 days later and they were able to ship me exactly 15 dvd's for an average of 0.24 dvd's a day with 3 out at a time.Mind you i always mail back my rentals the SAME day i get them(i run to my local post office wich has pick ups at 6am daily).I live on the west coast so this may not apply to east-coasters but i would strongly recommend against doing business with Dvd Empire rentals if you live in the west.The mailers they use are also poorly designed-two perforated strips on each side that break to easily.I had 4 movies on the verge of falling out on reception.There is another post about problems with Dvd Empire rentals here:http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=326737

Here is a letter i sent to customer service:
"To Melissa Z ,Empire Rentals Site Manager,
I'm writing to you before i post my very negative experience so far with your company on dvd-talk.You had answered a post from "FILMCZY" on 10.29.03 who had a similar experience.The first 2 times it worked as it's supposed-i got the dvd's in 2 days and when mailed back you received them i 3 days but then i mailed 1 dvd on 10.24 and 2 on 10.25.On 11.4 you received 1 of the 2 mailed on 10.25.I sent problem reports but have still not heard anything as of 11.10.The one dvd you mailed out on 11.4 somehow took until today,11.10 to arrive.Another problem was with the first couple of rentals they were nowhere near the top of my rental list-one was #19 even though at least the first 10 were listed as "available".I also called customer service on 724-933-0399 and they were to say the least,not very helpful and did not seem to have any interest in keeping me as a customer.I mail cd's(1 in a similar mailer as yours) all the time to Rockville,Maryland and to New York and never do they arrive later than 3 days(70% in 2 days) so i don't understand what "issues"(as mentioned in your response) you have with the USPS.In fact,as a major customer you can meet with a supervisor at USPS to hammer out any concerns.One recomendation i have is to not mention "Rental" or "Dvd" anywhere on your mailers,outgoing or incoming.That will take away some temptation i think.
Regards ..."
I got a nice and courteous response adressing my concerns but there is still something seriously wrong with the workings between USPS and Dvd Empire.Melissa Z. seems like a perfectly nice customer service manager but who is in way over her head.On Nov 22-23 days ago, i joined another rental service who are located in orange county and they have shipped me so far 21 dvd's with the same type of contract (3 out at a time),what a difference!!

Last edited by AlainDelon; 12-14-03 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-14-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go with Netflix for DVD rentals.
Old 12-14-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Pennsylvania and have had the same problems. I emailed them about about their envelopes. They told me they were going to start using better envelopes. All they did was put the discs in cardboard holders and still used the same envelopes that come open.

It takes me about 2 days to get a disc from them and when I mail them back it can take a week and a half before the say the disc is returned.
Old 12-14-03, 09:49 PM

Whats the place in OC your using?
Old 12-16-03, 08:22 PM

The only bad thing I've had from them is one time a disc that I rented from them came cracked in half.