Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Black Friday deals gone bad! (Best Buy)

Old 11-30-03, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

Black Friday deals gone bad!

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd share this scenario. On this past friday, Best Buy was offering the ATI Radeon 9600 for around 70 bucks after rebates. Well, I had a friend how purchased the video card to give to me as a gift. Well, after opening the package, I found all the components to be inact, except that the video card was an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX . You can imagine the flack we received when confronting Best Buy. They pretty much looked at us and told us that there was nothing that they could do. They just gave us the corporate office number and ATI's number. Obviously they thought we were trying to swindle them. But me and my friends were together when the package was opened. They even told us that there was no way that the package could have been resealed at the store. "That is illegal" is what they told us. However, encountering Best Buy employees in the past, I've had some of them slip that they sometimes will reseal dvds and such. This has got to be one of the worst purchasing experiences that I've encountered. This was the Best Buy in Reno Nevada and is a location that both my friends and I frequent. Some of the employees even were familiar with me. But the manager was a total prick.

If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences, please let me know.
Old 11-30-03, 11:26 AM

A friend of mine used to worked at BB corporate and he said that they'd have people buy something like a home-theater-in-a-box system, take it home, remove it from the box, put bricks back in the box, and take it back to BB. Well, if someone didn't inspect the box and open it up, which can happen, then they'd just reseal it and put it back on the shelf. Then someone else would come along, buy it, take it home, find out they just bought a box of bricks, and be completely screwed. In fact, if they tried to bring it back for a refund or exchange, they'd be turned down and just told tough luck. How's that for high quality CS.
Old 11-30-03, 11:35 AM
Cool New Member

I can understand the predicament here, but I still think that there should be some kind of failsafe here. If you think about it, the consumer can't necessarily eat a deal like that. But a big giant like Best Buy, I'm sure they could. The sad part about this is, it can and will continue to happen until there is some kind of protection in place. You know, some kind of record to look at a person's buying history, or something along those lines. I know it sounds pretty sketchy at best, but I think that consumers need to stand up for themselves. It's like I mentioned to my friend last night, if we just let this go away, then they'll really think that we were trying to pull something on them. But if we make enough waves, we might just make a dent towards these places changing the way they do their business practices.
Old 11-30-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This needs to be moved to the Store Forum...
Old 11-30-03, 11:54 AM
Stealth Moderator

Moved from the Hot Deals Forum -> Store Forum.
Old 11-30-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you pay by credit card? Do a charge back.
Old 11-30-03, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

I believe my friend paid by an ATM with Visa on it. I'm not familiar with this charge back process or how it works. I'd like if you could give some further info.

Thanks
Old 11-30-03, 05:32 PM

E-mail the corporate offices at Best Buy. Corportate corrected a recent problem I had over two purchases and gave me $250 in gift cards on top of that. Just follow the proper return procedures at your local store, get the names (first names are fine, corporate will be able to figure out who they are if they refuse to tell you) and if you can't return your item, call or e-mail the main corporate office (this info can be found on the Best Buy website).
Old 11-30-03, 11:18 PM
Cool New Member

...and that is exactly why you should NEVER use those ATM bank cards.

ever wonder why the banks promote them so much? it isn't b/c your using them benefits you - it benefits the banks.

with an ATM bank card, the store has YOUR money and now YOU fight to get it back.

if it were a regular credit card, the store would NEVER SEE YOUR MONEY and the bank would fight it out with the store b/c you would file a complaint with your credit card.

this is an IMPORTANT LESSON for all to learn.

Last edited by skeeterbug; 11-30-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as what I know, most big retailers [Best Buy, Target, Walmart] do not reseal dvd's or cd's because their agreement with those companies do not allow them to sell those products used.

Now they can sell electronics and appliances used, but those have to be discounted.

As for your situation, I can only suggest contacting the Corp office of the maker of the video card and see what they can do for you. After that, try the BBB in your area.
Old 12-01-03, 01:55 AM

I have several friends who have worked for the Best Buy chain and I can say for a fact that 80% of what is on the shevels has been repackaged in one form or another.
Old 12-01-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would Best Buy reseal a returned DVD or CD? They won't take open ones back in the first place, unless they're defective and you do an even exchange for the same title.
Old 12-01-03, 03:27 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Why would Best Buy reseal a returned DVD or CD? They won't take open ones back in the first place, unless they're defective and you do an even exchange for the same title.
Probably when people bought a DVD, opened it and found out that they bought the full screen version, then took it back and exchanged for the widescreen. BB got to absorb the cost of this return, or ship it back to the distributor as defective, or reseal it.
Old 12-01-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they do reseal a dvd or cd, then it is because that employee doesn't know they are not suppossed too. These retailers get full credit for dvd and cd returns.
Old 12-01-03, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by *RG3*
I have several friends who have worked for the Best Buy chain and I can say for a fact that 80% of what is on the shevels has been repackaged in one form or another.
80%??? Please get real...Even our local Goodwill store has more than 20% new & sealed merchandise in the store....

Maybe you have 4 friends who worked at BB and each one told you that 20% had been repackaged and you just added it up?
Old 12-01-03, 01:21 PM

That's really bad.

At the store I work P/T, we had a situation like that occur.
It was with external CD burners. All the product on the shelf was like that. The thing is, video cards and the like dont get rewrapped and returned to the shelf, or at least they shouldnt.

Definitely call the corporate office.
Old 12-01-03, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

Looking back on the packaging, I think that anyone could have bought the video card, swaped new card with old one and resealed it with a typical sealer and returned it to the store.
Old 12-01-03, 03:00 PM
Banned

You just need to be tough. The store should exchange the item.
Old 12-01-03, 04:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Seriously, get tough. I would have made such a scene they would have paid me to leave. In reality they ripped you off. They misrepresented the product. The manager must have been an idiot.

Of course the best scammers would also have the courage to act as though they were ripped off but come on. How many times does this happen.

I had this happen at Circuit City on a keyboard. The manager said they would have to research it since the keyboard might have been returned. Then I said "so you sold me a used product as new". I was out the door with the proper keyboard less that 2 minutes after that comment.

I also agree that ATM cards are not good for large purchases.
Old 12-02-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really sorry about that. I think that customer service is going down the hill...in a rocket.

More and more is the consumer bending over. I think you should definately hold your ground on this one.

Also I believe that if the ATM card has a visa or mc logo then you are at least somewhat protected. but I'm not sure.
Old 12-02-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by *RG3*
I can say for a fact that you do not know what the hell it is that you are talking about. All Cd's and DVD's are a devo item, as are all video cards. All devo items are taken to the back of the store, and then shipped back to the manufacturer.

If you want to think that we have the stuff to reshrink-wrap just like new that is great, but do this for me first. Go into the home-theater area, and look at one of the open box dvd players that are back there. Notice how thick the shrink-wrap is. Now think of how thin the wrap is on a dvd or video card is. Not the same is it? All best buys use a heavy gage shrink-wrap so that the customers will know if the product was wrapped by either the manufacturer or us.
Old 12-02-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by skeeterbug
...and that is exactly why you should NEVER use those ATM bank cards.

ever wonder why the banks promote them so much? it isn't b/c your using them benefits you - it benefits the banks.

with an ATM bank card, the store has YOUR money and now YOU fight to get it back.

if it were a regular credit card, the store would NEVER SEE YOUR MONEY and the bank would fight it out with the store b/c you would file a complaint with your credit card.

this is an IMPORTANT LESSON for all to learn.
I 100% agree with this statement. Check cards are OK for the grocery store or for small purchases, but ALWAYS put your large purchases on a real credit card for the very protection outlined above.
Old 12-02-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
You just need to be tough. The store should exchange the item.
I agree here too. Keep climbing the ladder and eventually you will get someone who doesn't feel like dealing with you and will just give you what you want/deserve.
Old 12-02-03, 11:39 AM
Banned

I've heard of this happening before. You need to open it up in the store, before you leave and inspect it right there. I doubt there is anything you can do now except shrink wrap it and return it as new (at a different Best Buy, of course).
Old 12-03-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by icondude
I've heard of this happening before. You need to open it up in the store, before you leave and inspect it right there.
Anyone else think that this is just a sad sad statement. So now it is up to us to cover Best Buy's butt so we won't be screwed?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.