DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy Return Policy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/331813-best-buy-return-policy.html)

Spooky 11-24-03 08:06 AM

Best Buy Return Policy?

Anyone know what the return policy on DVD players are? Is it 30 days or 14 days? Bought a defective player from the online store that I'm looking to exchange (for the same model) at my local store. I've had it for 17 days (although I didn't use it until two days ago)...just wondering if I'll have any trouble exchanging it.

Thanks in advance!

jay k 11-24-03 05:37 PM

What did they say when you called them to ask?

eau 11-24-03 06:09 PM

I think DVD players are returnable within 30 days. If it is a portable model, then I'm not sure.

tjr2mental 11-25-03 05:51 AM

It is returnable for 30 days. Same thing with portable. Just be sure that everything is there when you return it and you will not have a problem.

Spooky 11-25-03 11:33 AM

Best Buy refused to exchange the item for a new one - but they did credit my CC the amount I spent. Problem is, I didn't have my CC with me nor enough cash on-hand to buy a new one, so I was slightly miffed I just couldn't exchange the thing (which is what BB Customer Service on the phone told me I could do).

Oh, and it's been over 24 hours, and my CC still hasn't been credited the amount...so I'm close to complaining about that too!
(I just was told by Best Buy it will take up to 14 DAYS to credit my CC. Boy! They sure are quick to take your money...but when it comes to refunding you!!!)

tjr2mental 11-25-03 06:19 PM

Did they tell you why they would not exchange it? I know at our store we do this kind of thing almost every day.

Yea, it normally takes between 7 and 10 business days to have a charge credited back to your account.

Spooky 11-26-03 04:50 AM

Originally posted by tjr2mental
Did they tell you why they would not exchange it? I know at our store we do this kind of thing almost every day.

Yea, it normally takes between 7 and 10 business days to have a charge credited back to your account.

They told me because I bought it online with a CC, the only thing they were permitted to do was credit my CC...no exchange, no in-store credit. I told them that this was not what BB told me on the phone - but I didn't argue with the girl, this is what she was told by her manager over the phone, and I didn't want to make a big fuss over it. But if I had known I was only going to get the amount back on my CC, I probably would have just shipped the thing back instead of driving all the way to BB.

tjr2mental 11-26-03 08:38 AM

I did some searching on the best buy web site, and coame up with this... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1043363607107

When returning items to a Best Buy store, the credit is applied at the time of the return and usually posts to the credit card within 24 hours. If you send an item back to us, please allow 14-21 days' processing time.
While the section of the site is called "returns and exhanges" there is nothing listed that mentions a exchange. Nice.

Spooky 11-26-03 12:02 PM

Well my CC account was finally credited today...not 24 hours, but 48 ain't bad. I still think this is an odd policy regarding returns...but it's their loss - taking my money to a competitor now.

Manzana 11-27-03 03:38 PM

If I buy a camcorder at Best Buy tomorrow that comes in an unsealed box (as some do), and I decide to return it a few days later not having opened the box, will Best Buy still charge me a 15% restocking fee because they will say I might have opened the box because they chose not to seal it?

Would I have any luck asking them to place a seal over it just in case, or will they balk at that?

I would only return (unopened) it if I can get a better deal at another place which does not open until 7 AM. I'm just curious if anyone else has experience in this area. Maybe I should drive the extra distance to go to Fry's.

Civic2oo1 11-28-03 09:48 AM

A lot of camcorders come with a factory seal (I know that Sony camcorders do). As long as you don't break that, you should be fine.