Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why does differing opinion about store X = thread fart?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-19-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this numerous times but don't quite understand the mentality. If you've posted your 'opinion', is it not acceptable for people to post their own?

Then why is it that when poster A states their opinion. Then inevitably there is a response that differs. Then poster A comes back with "Thanks for the thread fart!"

I mean really, if your going to post your opinion on something you should really expect at least one person to have an opinion different than yours.

A thread fart to me is when someone posts about artist A or Movie B adn then someone comes in to just BASH the artist or flick without any explanation.

For example:

Someone posts how great Clay Aitkens new CD is and his favorite songs. The strengths of the CD, etc, etc.

Then the TRUE thread fart comes with:
Clay Aitken SUCKS ASS!!

Of course the farting party has never heard the new CD they just want to put someone down to feel better about their meek little existence.

I don't want to put anyone on the spot but it seems to be increasing in frequency and as soon as someone has a differeing opinion the original poster comes back with "Thanks for the thread fart!!" As if no one else can have a differing opinion without being a thread farter.

Maybe it's just me and I'm exagerating things??? Anyone else seeing this?

Mods: Move is this is in the wrong forum but I honestly did not know where to put it.
Old 11-19-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people have thin skin and will take even the most innocent comments personally.
Old 11-19-03, 04:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
A lot of people have thin skin and will take even the most innocent comments personally.
Are you implying something about ME? Knock it off with the personal attacks!!!
Old 11-19-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must be a complete idiot to think I was posting about you. What are you, some kind of lame assed loser?*

* Sorry, just noticed your request to stop the personal attacks. My answer will have to be: No, I wasn't talking about you. We both know who I was talking about.
Old 11-19-03, 05:45 PM

interesting question...

I know I made a post recently exressing frustration in regards to a particular retailer. However, I considered the first reply absolutely not in relation to the question, not to mention offensive and caustic in nature. There is a difference between having a differing opinion on a matter, and making baseless and crude observations about someone.
Old 11-19-03, 05:48 PM

We all know there is a statistically small portion of board members, who for many reasons , choose to attack anyone and everyone they possibly can. There are always those uptight bitchy folks whose lives must be very miserable to take pleasure in be verbally abusive and crude.