DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   bestbuy does it again..... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/330756-bestbuy-does-again.html)

wmunn 11-18-03 05:25 PM

bestbuy does it again.....

Now they are failing to stock anything in the least bit provocative or violent.

I was looking forward to picking up Ichi the killer today, and they are not stocking it at any of my local stores......

Thanks for nothing best buy....

retihsuhnt 11-18-03 06:46 PM

Re: bestbuy does it again.....

Originally posted by wmunn
they are failing to stock anything in the least bit provocative or violent.

Wow, we have a Jerry Falwell of the ultra-violent clan. Running around screaming the sky is falling about something that really has no bearing on anything.

BB is not WM, they do infact carry R and Unrated material. Just because your looking for a "out of the ordinary"/"out of the mainstream" title does not mean BB dropped the ball.

What do you want me to start a thread because BB is not carrying Evil Angel's Ass Worshipers 3?

wmunn 11-18-03 07:49 PM

you must have to carry your machismo around in a wheelbarrow....

excuse me while I bow to your superior nature. (NOT)

go crap on someone else's thread........

ps. is evil ass worshipers as lame as "oregon tree-huggers ass raping the boys of castro" ?

scarredgod 11-19-03 01:36 AM

i also wanted Ichi today, which they didnt have (some debate as to whether it even came out). i also wanted Suicide Club and it is in the computer and they are getting it but it hasnt arrived yet. i dont think Best Buy has anything against violent releases, they just totally suck for non-matrix, LOTR type releases now. i honestly believe they could raise their DVD sales by 25%-50% if they knew what to stock.

renaldow 11-19-03 10:08 AM

Re: bestbuy does it again.....

Originally posted by wmunn
Now they are failing to stock anything in the least bit provocative or violent.

I was looking forward to picking up Ichi the killer today, and they are not stocking it at any of my local stores......

I seriously doubt they are choosing not to carry it because it is violent or provocative! More like small and obscure. This isn't unusual for BB, or a lot of other B&M's actually. They only have X amount of room for new releases each week, and when you have a big films being released the same week as small films, it's usually the smaller, more non-mainstream films that are going to lose out.

This film will eventually hit their shelves, probably a couple of weeks down the road when they get a box of assorted catalog titles in.

Sweet Baby James 11-19-03 10:34 AM

Ichi might not even be available right now. Media Blasters is infamous for last minute delays in releasing their titles.:(

Josh-da-man 11-19-03 01:34 PM

About a month or two ago, I noticed that they had pulled all of their Playboy DVDs, as well as all of the stuff like Girls Gone Wild as well.

renaldow 11-19-03 02:26 PM

That may have just been your store, the one by me still has plenty of the softcore.

C_Fletch 11-19-03 03:57 PM

"i dont think Best Buy has anything against violent releases, they just totally suck for non-matrix, LOTR type releases now."

That is exactly the problem.

wmunn 11-19-03 05:40 PM

It's just a disturbing trend that has been occuring in the area where I live, or maybe cross-country, I don't know for sure. What I do know, is that during the introduction of the DVD format, there were several other retailers here locally which stocked many interesting titles. Then over a period of time, Best Buy choked them out of the Home entertainment media market, then when most other stores gave up, Best Buy then proceeded to limit what they carry and raised prices significantly. This is the situation which has frustrated me lately. Call me old fashioned, but I like to have a title in my hands and decide whether or not to purchase. It's nice to have that physical shopping experience I guess, that and the convenience of picking something up to watch right away. I am now ordering online more than in the past to make up for Best Buy's limited selection. This and several other unrelated issues at Best Buy are causing me to lower my opinion of them.

C_Fletch 11-20-03 02:52 PM

"Then over a period of time, Best Buy choked them out of the Home entertainment media market, then when most other stores gave up, Best Buy then proceeded to limit what they carry and raised prices significantly."

That is exactly what they did. They are probably the worst offender minus WM when it comes to NOT stocking catalog titles. I would guess that I haven't checked for a catalog title from BB for at least the last 8 months. They just don't stock them.

wmunn 11-20-03 05:05 PM

I would like to add something further to my previous statement. While it is all well and good to offer a great selection of titles and low prices to entice people to shop at their store, it is not good service to drive others out of the market and then limit selection and raise prices when you achieve a monopoly in the market. That is a disservice to shoppers and should not be rewarded with continued business. It has made me seek out other local retailers rather than keep giving the money to best buy. Sometimes this isnt practical, but it makes me feel better. Not that one persons efforts will ever mean anything to the suits in control of the stores.......

scarredgod 11-20-03 08:56 PM

speaking of raising prices, when i was in there on tuesday, there were 2 workers in the aisle changing prices. i dont know if they were highering or lowering them but the one worker said, "if we raise all these by just $1 no one will really notice and they will make a ton more money". i watched them raise prices by $2 overnight when i wanted Evil Dead Trap. i am curious as to what they did, ill check tomorrow and see if they raised or lowered.

Deke Rivers 11-21-03 05:42 AM

Re: Re: bestbuy does it again.....

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Wow, we have a Jerry Falwell of the ultra-violent clan. Running around screaming the sky is falling about something that really has no bearing on anything.

BB is not WM, they do infact carry R and Unrated material. Just because your looking for a "out of the ordinary"/"out of the mainstream" title does not mean BB dropped the ball.

What do you want me to start a thread because BB is not carrying Evil Angel's Ass Worshipers 3?

a future Best Buy store manager in the making here

retihsuhnt 11-21-03 12:31 PM

Hate to break it to you deke, but I wont ever work in retail again (havent ever worked at BB).

POWERBOMB 11-21-03 11:04 PM

Is this a spin of from the Simpsons'? The Ichi and Scratchi Show.

laserdogg 11-22-03 08:40 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
speaking of raising prices, when i was in there on tuesday, there were 2 workers in the aisle changing prices. i dont know if they were highering or lowering them but the one worker said, "if we raise all these by just $1 no one will really notice and they will make a ton more money". i watched them raise prices by $2 overnight when i wanted Evil Dead Trap. i am curious as to what they did, ill check tomorrow and see if they raised or lowered.
My BB just did this as well. Most 9.99 DVDs are now 10.99, 14.99 now 15.99 or 17.99 and on and on

Buying MUCH more online now, mostly catalog titles as the new releases still can't be beat at B&M.

eau 11-23-03 02:16 AM

Yeah. Lots of Anime DVDs have just been repriced at MSRP. They even have Last Exile for 4 bucks over MSRP -eek-

tjr2mental 11-25-03 05:57 AM

Originally posted by eau
Yeah. Lots of Anime DVDs have just been repriced at MSRP. They even have Last Exile for 4 bucks over MSRP -eek-
Yea, our store ( I work at Best Buy ) had the standard dvd priced at 33.99. I pointed it out to the Media Manager and he changed the price on it. What happened is that some tool in the back priced the disk at the same price as the box w/disk. Just point out the error, and I am sure that they will fix it. Also, it should ring up at the correct price even with the sticker being wrong.