DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   A Call to Arms (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/329590-call-arms.html)

Abob Teff 11-12-03 01:01 PM

A Call to Arms

Brethren DVDTalkers! I need you help!
<P>Last Friday Hollywood Video sent out a directive to its stores. Corporate has decided that we did not buy enough copies of Finding Nemo to keep our guests happy (duh!). So, to help combat this problem, corporate has decided that we should actually start renting the 2 discs seperately. Each disc has a version of the film (one widescreen, one full-screen) with different extras, and they have decided that our guests should only get half of the 2-disc for the same price that we have already rented out the full set.
<P>If they wanted to do this, it should have been done at the outset (I still would have thought it a horrible idea, but I would not have been quite as outraged), not nearly a week into renting it. The analogy I use is such: If you go out for a steak dinner and you order the 16 oz. steak special, but the waiter brings you an 8 oz steak, you would be a little miffed. So you call the waiter over and complain. The waiter's response: "We are busier than we thought that we would be and we don't have enough steaks so we are cutting them in half. But you ARE still getting steak." Is that right? No. (Don't use the above analogy. Veteran DVDTalkers will understand why.)
<P>So, I call upon my fellow DVDTalkers, fighters for movie preservation, combatants of bad customer service, and revolutionaries for high quality home entertainment, to do the following:
<P>Please contact Hollywood Video's Guest Service and let them know just how bad of an idea this is. Hollywood Video is a company that places heavy emphasis on the compliments and complaints that they get from their guests, maybe we can do some good here. You can visit their website or call 1-8-SPEAK-TO-US (which translates into 1-877-325-8687).

Spooky 11-13-03 04:47 AM

Netflix rents their multiple disc sets seperately.

rich-y 11-13-03 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
Both NetFlix and GreenCine rent discs separately, but they both claim that this is due to the fact that they can not ship two discs in one envelope. A video store can't use that excuse.

Heat 11-13-03 02:16 PM

I'm thinking that a large number of people (customers) just won't care either way.

Any chance you can split, say, 2/3 of your Nemo packages into individual disks and leave 1/3 as double disks, at the same price of course? That way you'll increase your stock of DVDs by ~ 60%, and have plenty of double DVDs for those who really want to watch extras on both disks.

How is Family Video handling it?

Also, how much do you charge up there? I've been renting at Hollywood Video on south 6th for $0.99 / 5 days.

Alan Smithee 11-13-03 08:08 PM

That's why they should have made it a 2-sided disc instead!

linefinder 11-13-03 08:37 PM

Heat,

I live in fort wayne IN, and have found family Video the best place to rent movies ever! There new releases come with both discs and the only charge $2.50.

Plus if you pay an extra $10 per month you get half off every thing!! Games included.

Tues- Thurs they offer a free general title with a new release

therefore with the discount you can rent 4 new releases and 4 general titles for about 5 bucks. No one can tuch that.

Linefinder

Dave C 11-14-03 05:14 AM

I doubt that the vast majority of renters (me included) care too much about having both the WS and fullscreen version of the movie.

Most renters are not that concerned about extras.

It actually sounds like a pretty good idea by management considering that they under-ordered in the first place.

Maybe I'll give them a shout to congratulate them on their business acumen (just kidding).

Heat 11-14-03 10:31 AM

Originally posted by linefinder
Heat,

I live in fort wayne IN, and have found family Video the best place to rent movies ever! ...

I know, they got started here and dominate the market, 8 stores in the area (including small nearby communities), compared to 3 Hollywoods & 2 Blockbusters.

The stores I personally go to are a Family Video and Hollywood Video that are across the street from each other (a big six lane Blvd, but they are still close). Since March of 2002 the Family Video has had all DVDs at $1, and a free older movie at all times (thus 2 movies (including one new release) for 2 nights for $1). The Hollywood Video across the street also has $1 DVDs, including new releases. You don't get an older title for free, but you do get to keep the movie for five nights instead of two. Also, Family Video rents Pr0n.

For that matter there are also a couple grocery stores (Shop & Save) that rent DVDs for $1 (including new releases), but there you only get it for one night and they stock only pan & scan when possible.

Groucho 11-14-03 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
Not always. When I rented Gangs of New York (which has the movie split across the discs), I got both discs in the mail.

rich-y 11-14-03 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Not always. When I rented Gangs of New York (which has the movie split across the discs), I got both discs in the mail.
You lucked out!! When I rented Gangs of New York I only got 1 disc.

C_Fletch 11-19-03 04:24 PM

"You lucked out!! When I rented Gangs of New York I only got 1 disc."

YIKES!! I hope you knew it was supposed to be 2 before you started. I can just imagine J6P watching it and then seeing "insert disc 2". :)