Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Media Play scam?

Old 11-10-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Media Play scam?

So I bought 8 Cds that were marked 2 for $20 at the display with a gift card. Rang it all up and went home. Only then did I check the recpt to see that I was charged $11.99 per CD. No big deal but I wanted them for the correct price so I went back in. Filled out the refund form and just for grins asked "So do you guys make sure errors like this are fixed in the system so a ton of people arent charged incorrectly?" The returns guy said that the CUSTOMER is supposed to let the clerks know when checking out that they bought from the 2 for 20 section. I was surprised by this, like anyone would know that. Guarantee that a bunch of people are being ripped, especially if they have other purchases at the time like I did, it all kind of blends together.

Any Media Play folks out there to verify this is the policy? Thinking of calling the manager tomorrow just to give him my opinion.
Old 11-11-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You sure you didn't take that the wrong way? It sounds like he meant that if you notice a mistake it's up to you to correct it.

Doesn't sound wrong.
Old 11-12-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Media Play has no idea how they price things.

Often times I'll see DVDs with 2 or 3 different prices. There will be a price on the DVD. Then elsewhere there will be the same DVD with a sale price. That's no SO odd.

Then when I get to the register the DVD will sometimes be a third, and always lower, price. It's very odd and a poor system all around.

I mainly shop there when they have bigger sales so I can take advantage of their rewards program. I never use it for new releases because their prices often suck for new movies.
Old 11-12-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no, he said that it is up to ME to tell the cashier that the CDs I bought were from the 2 for 20 pile. Just seems odd that they wouldnt ring up that way as opposed to me having to bring it up.

Originally posted by Eric F
You sure you didn't take that the wrong way? It sounds like he meant that if you notice a mistake it's up to you to correct it.

Doesn't sound wrong.