DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Cosco - What can I expect? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/328975-cosco-what-can-i-expect.html)

ElementZ 11-09-03 10:56 AM

Cosco - What can I expect?

My sister mentioned that she received a membership to cosco through her work and was planning on going up and asked me if I would be interested in going with her. I have never been to one before since it is about a 2 hour drive away.

What is cosco all about, I hear so many things about it, do they sell dvds and videogames. My sister said it takes about 2 hours to walk around the whole place.

Any experiences??

mediabear 11-09-03 12:17 PM

We have a warehouse store here called Costco. I don't know if it is a relative of Cosco, but it sounds like it might be. They do carry DVDs at Costco. If you do a search in DVD Bargains, you'll see several posts on various DVDs and the prices.

It is a lot like BJ's, Sam's, and Pace Warehouses. They sell a little bit of everything. Most of the food items are bulk purchases. You can usually find good prices on name brand clothing. They also have great deals on tires and car batteries.

ElementZ 11-09-03 01:17 PM

Sorry, the store in question here is Costco

boc4ever 11-09-03 06:17 PM

Re: Cosco - What can I expect?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/onestops...11-007agy.html

boc4ever 11-09-03 06:19 PM

Originally posted by ElementZ
Sorry, the store in question here is Costco
It is similar to a BJ's or Sam's Club. They have bulk food items, electronics, clothes, dvds, cds and great deals on ground beef, fish, etc. However, not all the bulk items are a deal, you have to be careful about that...

Walter Neff 11-09-03 08:59 PM

Let's see, the store is a two-hour drive away from where ElementZ lives, and he's never been there, yet you people are criticizing him for spelling Costco's name wrong instead of answering his question. Nice work, people, nice work.

Anyway, to answer your question, ElementZ: Costco is a warehouse store, meaning you can buy massive packages of toilet paper rolls, huge logs of cheddar cheese and giant boxes of candy there. But they also do sell DVDs, CDs, books, video game cartridges and software there -- and the prices on all of them are usually better than what you'd find at a Best Buy, Borders, etc. Sometimes the prices will be a dollar or two lower, sometimes much more than that, depending on the item. But the selection for all of the above is usually limited to only the most popular items -- New York Times fiction bestsellers or Oprah book club selections for books, and big new release or rereleases for DVDs (Finding Nemo, Indiana Jones, that sort of thing), for example. Occasionally you'll find something offbeat at Costco, but usually not. I've never seen a Criterion DVD at Costo, for example.

I really don't know that going to Costco is worth the two-hour drive. I guess it depends on what stores you have in your own town, and how into multi-pound bags of potato chips you are. If you are planning on making a major purchase -- a big-screen TV, a new computer, that sort of thing -- it might be worth the drive to Costo. They do have good prices (and a liberal return policy) on those types of items. And, no, you don't have to buy those in bulk.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

atari2600 11-10-03 12:52 AM

best place to get a 10 lb tub of mayo. i always needed that for my 95 lb turkey sandwich i wanted to make.

Pistol Pete 11-10-03 01:40 PM

If you and your sister still share the same last name, you can present yourselves as a couple and get two cards. My sister and I did this for two years. It's probably considered incest in some states, but, hell, $45 is $45.

ElementZ 11-10-03 11:31 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, especially Walter.

I really don't know that going to Costco is worth the two-hour drive
That is not really a big deal as we are going up to a pretty big mall up there, a christmas craft show and an Eddie Bauer store (which I get a cool 50% off before Nov 30th)

If you and your sister still share the same last name, you can present yourselves as a couple and get two cards. My sister and I did this for two years. It's probably considered incest in some states , but, hell, $45 is $45.
Well I guess I don't have to worry about that, I live in Canada. ;)

Revoltor 11-11-03 12:07 AM

A few notes:

-No shopping bags. I dunno why. It's such a hassle.

-Lot's of free samples for food.

-You supermarket will probably have better prices.

-Anything not a food item is probably priced nicely.

-Be lucky you're not paying the yearly rate. My family uses a company account too. I would never pay actually money for this membership nonsense.

mediabear 11-11-03 08:01 AM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Let's see, the store is a two-hour drive away from where ElementZ lives, and he's never been there, yet you people are criticizing him for spelling Costco's name wrong instead of answering his question. Nice work, people, nice work.

I'm sorry if I sounded that way at all. I have heard of a place called Cosco. Since ElementZ is in Canada, I thought it might be a similar store to Costco. I really didn't think about it being a typo since I have heard people mention Cosco. I apologize if I seemed harsh. I didn't mean to at all. I just wanted to help.

atari2600 11-11-03 11:16 AM

actually i would get the membership for the cheap gas alone. i would easily save over $45 per year in gas.

boc4ever 11-11-03 12:24 PM

If you look directly below my original "frivolous" post, 2 minutes later, I added some useful information for ElementZ. I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to be overly serious in all of our posts. I'll be sure to give a straight answer right away next time and not have any fun...

tomveil 11-13-03 01:45 PM

I recently bought The Cosmos box set for 80 and season 2 of 24 for 40 at costco. I noticed yesterday they had Deep space nine seasons for 85. Not unbelievable prices but it doesn't take long to get back your membership fee in savings.

Dah-Dee 11-13-03 10:17 PM

Originally posted by boc4ever
I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were supposed to be overly serious in all of our posts. I'll be sure to give a straight answer right away next time and not have any fun...
rotfl :banana: :beer:

JNielsen 11-15-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Occasionally you'll find something offbeat at Costco, but usually not. I've never seen a Criterion DVD at Costo, for example.
I've seen the bigger releases there (The Rock, Tenebaums, Chasing Amy)

cross 11-17-03 09:24 PM

actually i would get the membership for the cheap gas alone. i would easily save over $45 per year in gas.
Gas price depends on how picky you are on gas. I've been told that the quality of gas at costco is similar to that of Arco or basically your basic bargain gas station.

Not bashing it, I just know some people are picky about the gas they put in their cars and the various companies which sell it.

iove 11-17-03 09:42 PM

Forgive me for a brief off topic threadcrap but Costco gasoline is definitely better than Arco. It's not Chevron but definitely better than Arco. I ran Arco a few times and notice huge dip in power and mileage...took me a bottle of Techroline they sell at Costco to reverse the fouling. No problems with Costco and been using it for 4 years with 3 different cars.

slop101 11-18-03 02:31 PM

They have the best prices on tv box sets - for example - West Wing seson 1 is only $36 at costco.

And if you have something that's damaged from another store, as long as costco sells it, you can exchange it or return it for what they charge for it.

icondude 11-18-03 03:08 PM

It's the best place to buy a bed. Other than that I have no use for these places.

Deke Rivers 11-18-03 03:14 PM

similar to Sams although I think the merchandise they carry is a little higher end than the crap at Sams. Sams is good for meat and thats about it