Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Filing a complaint with Wal-Mart....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-05-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got back from Wal-Mart and had some SHITTY customer service.

Basically I called earlier today and found out that they took competitors coupons. I wasnt told of any stipulations or anything. So I went tonight (morning?) and tried using my coupon but they would let me! First they kept me waiting for 15 minutes than came back saying they couldnt give me the price with the coupon. The coupon was a Best Buy 10% off any Disney DVD and I wanted to use it on Finding Nemo. When they finally came back I was told the coupon was a gimmick and they would have to give me the Best Buy price than the 10% off. I got pissed and asked for a manger and it ended up that I was talking to him. We argued it for 10 minutes and it ended with me having to take back my coupon and waste my time and gas. I told him I would file a complaint and call the Wal-Mart Customer Service Line and give names.

So has anyone ever filed a complaint? What happened? Oh and should I call a hotline number or should I go through the web site? Thanks to anyone who helps out.

One small request, no thread crapping by holier than thou morons who dont like when people argue with ignorant employees. Lets keep this on the subject...
Old 11-05-03, 02:09 AM

Re: Filing a complaint with Wal-Mart....

Originally posted by Ravenous

One small request, no thread crapping by holier than thou morons who dont like when people argue with ignorant employees. Lets keep this on the subject...
I feel your pain. Usually those "morons" are people who are managers or CSRs, which is why I think they are so defensive when it comes to this. My suggestion would be to try talking to a store manager, the big boss of that wal mart. If that doesnt help, ask them for a number to their corporate offices or maybe a district manager. If you want to take it even farther, file a complaint with the BBB.
Old 11-05-03, 04:41 AM

I'd have to see the Best Buy coupon you presented to decide who to side with in this case...
Old 11-05-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not entirely sure complaining will do any good. 'm pretty sure I remember signs in my local Wal-Mart saying they'd match a competitor's price, but not % off deals. So if BB was offering Widget A for $20.00, Wal-Mart would match that price. But if Widget A was selling their $100 item for 10% off ($90), Wal-Mart wouldn't give you 10% off their price. Which is probably smart... if Wal-Mart is selling the item for $90 already, why should they give you an additional discount?
Old 11-05-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wal-Mart does not honor % off coupons, only advertised prices. It's been that way for as long as I remember.

My question is why are you using a coupon from Best Buy at Wal-Mart? To save 10% off $14.xx?
Old 11-05-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not just go to Best Buy?
Old 11-05-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to have to side with Wal-Mart in this one. Price matching is one thing, but to have them price match and use a 10% coupon from another store is a little much and isn't even their policy.

If you really want to complain then send a written letter to the corporate office telling them the details of the situation. Include the store manager's name and clerk's name, if possible. Carbon copy the store.

Note that the complaint letter will, at best, get you a form letter saying that they are sorry you are disapointed but rules are rules, and that it will most likely be easier for you to drive to Best Buy to buy the movie rather than actually writing out the letter, finding addresses, buying two stamps, etc. If Best Buy is so far away that it isn't worth driving there to get the movie, then they aren't in direct competition with Wal-Mart and didn't have to offer even the price match.
Old 11-05-03, 11:28 AM

I know I'm not actually helping out, but I want to stick up for Walmart here.

I have never had any problems with their customer service. As long as I follow their rules I've felt they've always gone above and beyond, including letting me return things long after purchase (with box and receipt) with the reason being only "I'm dissapointed by it's performance."

I buy anything that I'm afraid I may end up not liking from them because their service is so good.

It seems like the problems usually arise around price matching, returns without receipt, etc. I don't blame them for holding the line on their policies.

The fact that they said they honored coupons but didn't specify count off every circumstance that they are not acceptable is perfectly reasonable. I'm surprised that you didn't specifically ask them if they would take a Best Buy 10% off coupon. I think if you did that you'd have a complaint. Since you didn't I think you should just forget about it.

Since it's obviously important to you I hope it works out.

Last edited by Dave C; 11-05-03 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-05-03, 05:30 PM

The coupon was from that Best Buy Comming Attractions DVD for 10% off any DVD.

I didnt go to Best Buy because I dont know of any open at 12:00 am, do you?

Also, I didnt ask for a price match or anything. I just wanted to use the coupon on THEIR price.

This is why I called ahead and asked if they took coupons. I was told YES and wasnt told of ANY stipulations. Because of idiotic employees, I wasted my time. If they didnt take coupons, they could have told me and I wouldnt have bothered with them. Its that inconvenience that pisses me off.
Old 11-05-03, 08:23 PM

Did you ask the Wal-Mart person on the phone if they took coupons or did you specify the coupon was for 10% off at Best Buy. I work at Wal-Mart and our policy is to match competitor ads, NOT competitor coupons. Also, was your life going to be altered forever if you had to wait a few hours for a Best Buy to open and get a DVD?
Stop being a drama queen.
Old 11-06-03, 04:55 AM

This is why I called ahead and asked if they took coupons. I was told YES and wasnt told of ANY stipulations. Because of idiotic employees, I wasted my time. If they didnt take coupons, they could have told me and I wouldnt have bothered with them. Its that inconvenience that pisses me off.
I just don't understand your gripe here.

Q-"Do you take coupons?"

A-"Yes"

What about that makes them a liar and/or an idiot?

As in impartial observer (and one that tends to take the side of forum members because I like it) it appears to me that you intentionally didn't mention the type of coupon so you could use the argument "I called and you said you'd accept it".

I'm not saying that's true, but that's how it looks to me.

If I'm thinking that way I'd guess the manager probably did too.

I don't mind you going out and trying to fight for what you want, and maybe they will eventually relent. But when you post here you have to expect that you'll get other people's opinions.

I think you are wrong calling them names and I think you are conveniently omitting the point that it would have been smart of you to ask the question in a better fashion if you were truly interested in just getting the best deal without bending the rules.

I don't mind you trying to bend the rules, that's a great tradition. But you've got to learn to be a better loser when it doesn't work out. It looks to me like you brought the inconvenience on yourself and are now lashing out at the wrong people.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm slamming you, but I'm not. I'm just responding to your posts as I would in a discussion with a friend or brother. If my brother told me this story I'd respond to him in the same fashion (well, maybe not as politely).

I'd give up the ghost on this one my friend.
Old 11-06-03, 10:42 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So your trying to use a coupon that CAME in a Best Buy's DVD? Wow...all to save, what $1? Thats sad.
Old 11-06-03, 11:26 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Dave C
I just don't understand your gripe here.

If I'm thinking that way I'd guess the manager probably did too.

Yeah, and from the tone of his post: "holier than thou morons who dont like when people argue with ignorant employees" I'm guessing that he was probably FAR less than polite in his conversation-- he probably tossed out the window any chance the manager would feel like being nice and bending the rule for him.
Old 11-06-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I came across this once, I believe it was an offer for Brute Force with free strategy guide from Target I wanted to get matched. Now Wal-Mart had the game a couple of dollars cheaper, but in order to honer the offer it would have to be exactly as the ad states it. So they would do it for full price and the free guide, but not their price and a free guide.

I'm not sure that you should complain about the policy, rather just the manager for not properly explaing it to you in the first place. Likely the only thing you may get is a call from a Wal-Mart CSR to find out what happened and off an apology (that's what I go when I complained about them never stocking their DVD's on release day even though they had boxes and boxes of them clearly marke "Stock Immediatley-New Releases" at 6 in the eveing of release day).
Old 11-07-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wal-Mart considers "percentage off" deals/coupons gimmicks and WILL NOT match them. It's clearly stated on the signs in stores (usually on the cart rails at the front of the store).

They also will not take coupons from other stores like some CircuitCity stores seem to be doing with BestBuy coupons.
Old 11-07-03, 01:25 AM

No, I asked if they accpeted COMPETITORS coupons. I made sure to ask that. I wasnt told of any stipulations. I didnt say what it was for or anything. I just said Competitors. I didnt go into detail because I was in a rush and had stuff to do.
Old 11-07-03, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
So your trying to use a coupon that CAME in a Best Buy's DVD? Wow...all to save, what $1? Thats sad.
I say someone is sad when they have nothing better to do than thread crap. Get a life.
Old 11-07-03, 04:22 AM

I say someone is sad when they have nothing better to do than thread crap. Get a life.
I agree with Ravenous on this one. Our opinions differ on his trip to Walmart but there's no cause for being nasty.

It just bugs him. Weird things get under my skin sometime too and I can't shake them, even though I know I should let it go. That's probably the case here.
Old 11-07-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, I asked if they accpeted COMPETITORS coupons. I made sure to ask that. I wasnt told of any stipulations. I didnt say what it was for or anything. I just said Competitors. I didnt go into detail because I was in a rush and had stuff to do.
It doesn't make it Walmart's fault since you didn't tell them about the percentage part. Just saying it is a competitor's coupon will make them think it is a normal price match for a stated price.

How much time does it take to say the words: "The coupon is for 10% a DVD". This statement would have gotten you the answer that they don't honor percentage coupons. If you didn't have time to say those words in a couple of seconds, then why bother taking up time to call Walmart in the first place. How did you fit the time in to go buy it?
Old 11-08-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trying to stay on topic a little....

I shop the Wal-mart Neighborhood Market store a lot. They will pricematch Tom Thumb, Albertsons and Minyards but they won't PM Kroger's. This is because Kroger's savings are based on their store brand card and not an actual savings. In other word's, a person cannot go into Kroger's and get the ad price unless they have a Kroger's Card. Or Sam's or Costco.

Therefore Wal-Mart won't honor the prices. I guess you can take it as high as you can go with this issue, but I'm sure the BBB or Wal-mart higher ups won't assit you in this matter. Unfortunatly, you won't win this fight. It's a Best Buy % off coupon and they do not have to honor it.
Old 11-10-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll paypal you the 10%. Well not really but I don't see what the big deal is over a buck. ?? And why don't you go to Best Buy. I'm sure 12AM isn't the only time you can go shopping.
Old 11-11-03, 12:22 AM
Banned

Not to mention gasoline.

And anyway, judging from the tone of the post, he was the first one being "nasty".
Old 11-17-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a bad customer service experience with wal-mart, and reported it through thier customer service e-mail addy. Pretty much, the employees made me feel like an idiot after I called to ask if they had a movie in stock. They said yes, and when I got there(during my lunch hour), they denied telling me they had it, then said it wasn't even available on dvd(Willy wonka widescreen). Then, when I asked why they told me it was available, they blamed it on the one employee not present, and said that I should do my research before wasting thier time.

I didn't even bother arguing, I just went back to work(hungry) and fired off an e-mail. I said that they shouldn't be worried about losing my business, but the business of all the people I tell the story to. Plus, all of our holiday business.

I got a letter from the store manager offering me a free movie about a month later. Shocked the hell out of me.

Fire off an e-mail. More than likely you'll get some results.

r
Old 11-18-03, 12:36 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RDYoung, what movie did you get for free then?
Old 11-18-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The, uh, Wally price wouldn't by chance be LOWER than BB's price, would it? Maybe that's why they won't honor the coupon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.