DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Circuit City is Cheaper than Best Buy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/327533-circuit-city-cheaper-than-best-buy.html)

Jah-Wren Ryel 11-01-03 04:55 PM

Circuit City is Cheaper than Best Buy

Not a specific bargain, so maybe this would be better in the store forum. But it might be handy info for people in the same situation that I was with a coupon and a title that was not significantly discounted anywhere online compared to b&m.

I just got back from Circuit City - I had a coupon for Kiki's Delivery service that expires end of Nov and CC was the cheapest ($19.99) place I could find it, even cheaper than any place in dvdpricesearch. While I was there I looked at a couple of other "older" titles and then walked over to Best Buy next door and did a comparison.

For almost every title I compared, CC was at least $2 cheaper than BBY.

So, I thought I would mention this interesting fact since CC doesn't show up in the DVD price search engines, and they used to be on par or more expensive than BBT, so it is easy to dismiss them without even checking.

Half-Joey 11-01-03 06:06 PM

yeah CC use to be more expensive, then recently they started having good deals on DVDs.

but I still like Best Buy better because their people are nicer and their deals or more consistant. and thye have a better selection.

DVD Josh 11-01-03 06:26 PM

Re: Circuit City is Cheaper than Best Buy

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Not a specific bargain, so maybe this would be better in the store forum.
You are certainly right about that.

Jtnguyen12 11-01-03 06:33 PM

2 thumb up for CC

CC Customer service is the best, fast & friendly, low price, and pricematch w/ any store :)

2 Thumb down for Bestbuy

BB Customer service is SLOW, lazy & take forever waiting in the line. They price is HIGH on DVD, & it take forever to pricematch w/ another store even if u have the weekend ads.

Lint21 11-01-03 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
2 thumb up for CC

CC Customer service is the best, fast & friendly, low price, and pricematch w/ any store :)

2 Thumb down for Bestbuy

BB Customer service is SLOW, lazy & take forever waiting in the line. They price is HIGH on DVD, & it take forever to pricematch w/ another store even if u have the weekend ads.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

lesterlong 11-01-03 09:43 PM

No CCs in my area of town. So Best Buy gets all business. I don't buy from them unless they're having a sale.

aphexII 11-01-03 09:59 PM

As an employee of Circuit City, i can honestly say that customer service is one of our top priorities...

I can't even tell you how many people come into our store and complain about how they knew what they wanted, but couldnt even get help at the Best Buy down the street to purchase the product... Happened 3 times today alone....

Mr.Briggs 11-01-03 10:08 PM

Originally posted by aphexII
As an employee of Circuit City, i can honestly say that customer service is one of our top priorities...
I can believe that. Our CC is unmatched in ease of price matching (with a smile too). Even without an ad they will look up the web price or even call another store in order to give you the best price.
Never had a bad experience with them.

ctyankee 11-01-03 10:10 PM

AphexII,

What bothers me is the systemic problems. For example, recently they advertised Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii DVD in their circular.

Not only didn't they get it in, they wouldn't order it for me or give me a rain check.

They said that they can't order DVDs and have to wait until "someone" send them replenishment stock.

When I told customer service that this was not replenishment stock but a new title they never got in ... did they say they would make a call and find out about it. Nooooo, they just smiled and said they don't control what comes to them.

Meanwhile, two weeks later they still haven't got it in. But they do have 10 copies of The Kids Are Alright.

Nice people. Great, but I prefer competent people.

aphexII 11-01-03 10:20 PM

Originally posted by ctyankee
AphexII,

What bothers me is the systemic problems. For example, recently they advertised Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii DVD in their circular.

Not only didn't they get it in, they wouldn't order it for me or give me a rain check.

They said that they can't order DVDs and have to wait until "someone" send them replenishment stock.

When I told customer service that this was not replenishment stock but a new title they never got in ... did they say they would make a call and find out about it. Nooooo, they just smiled and said they don't control what comes to them.

Meanwhile, two weeks later they still haven't got it in. But they do have 10 copies of The Kids Are Alright.

Nice people. Great, but I prefer competent people.

Dunno whats up with your local store, but we deal with those situations everyday at my store... If we dont have it in store, we look it up at local stores, if they dont have it we check out our "regional" warehouse... If our warehouse dosent have it, theres nothing we can do unfortunately, thats as high up the chain we can go for products...

My best suggestion is that if we dont have it in store, or cant special order it, try to purchase it off the website. They always seem to get products before we do in store, and always have a larger inventory & free shipping....

Sounds like you just got some lazy people at your store.

Rogue588 11-01-03 10:24 PM

I agree with the most part about the thread title...

HOWEVER..

As far as pricematching goes, I haven't had problems at either store [though Indiana Jones at BB was probably the most problematic...and even that wasn't a problem]. But with the salespeople...they suck at both stores.

BB doesn't have the exclusivity on sucky sales people..

[excluding the employees that post here, of course...;)]

sararekuforever 11-01-03 11:25 PM

I can say that this is true. I used to HATE Circuit City, then two years ago I noticed everything was changing...

For the first time I bought something at Circuit City, a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and Pokemon Silver for GBC. What was interesting is that the mouse was $10 cheaper than everywhere else, and that Circuit City had dozens of copies of Pokemon [this was when every child and gamer wanted a copy of the new game] while Best Buy, Toys R Us, and Target had none

From then, I've gone to Circuit City a whole lot more, I've bought two cameras [one was 1 mega, and the other was 2] open box for under $30 each. I've bought movies [mostly anime and Disney movies..Lion King and Lizzie were great deals] and games [I found new copies of old Square games like Xenogears, Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve, etc CHEAP] and music CD's [the 9.99 sale is AMAZING]

it really is shaping up to be a great store.

shill66 11-01-03 11:55 PM

The biggest problem I have with CC v. BB is finding new release titles - easy if it's one of the "big" releases for the week, but the more obscure new releases can usually be found at BB but almost never at CC.

Michael Corvin 11-02-03 12:51 AM

CC selection isn't as great. and The organization is piss poor. Hard to find anything. They cram every disc they have into 2 aisles. I have always liked CC but these are two reasons why I don't mind paying an extra $2. If that saves me 15 minutes of searching for a title, great.

darkside 11-02-03 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
CC selection isn't as great. and The organization is piss poor. Hard to find anything. They cram every disc they have into 2 aisles. I have always liked CC but these are two reasons why I don't mind paying an extra $2. If that saves me 15 minutes of searching for a title, great.
I have to agree with this. CC is cheaper now. Best Buy has started raising prices on a lot of their DVDs. However, it is a pain in the butt to dig through their overcrowded racks to find a DVD I want. I do it on ocassion. They had a great deal on the GI Joe miniseries, but if they would get a better organized and easier to browse DVD section they might get more of my business.

eau 11-02-03 02:40 AM

BB prices have gone up lately. Talking about anime DVDs, some of them were like $19.99, then $22.99 and now $24.99 -ohbfrank-

DonnachaOne 11-02-03 02:55 AM

BB prices have gone up, and CC is striking while the iron's hot, marking down prices to bring more people in, and get them hooked. Doesn't take much to make a lifelong customer - most o the time you just have to be nice and know what you're doing.

Sad fact is, most people at Best Buy can't master both, or either of those aspects.

BigT 11-02-03 08:10 AM

I find Circuit City to be often cheaper than Best Buy - if I can find the title I'm looking for at all. Best Buy's pricing strategy is very inconsistent - I have never understood why BB prices a $14.99 dvd at $9.99 and most $19.99 dvds at $17.99. I can often find it cheaper at Borders! On the other hand, box sets at Circuit City are priced well above Best Buy.

pOpus 11-02-03 08:28 AM

I would much rather pay $2 more for a DVD than have to deal with the blank stares I get when I ask a question at my local CC. I truly believe that they lobotomize their clerks the moment they are hired. In one particularly memorable trip, I asked three clerks about the availability of a particular DVD; two just shrugged their shoulders without saying a word, and the third just pointed in the general direction of the DVD counter. Sad...

Sloth911 11-02-03 08:48 AM

ummmm... last time I checked, both BBy and CC hired from the same pool of retarded applicants. (retired people/teenagers)

The store in you area may have better CC/BBy employees... but not by much.. Retarded is still retarded.

In my experience the policies of CC has is much better than BBy --- but again, the ability of the employees to apply the policies is in question

Lint21 11-02-03 11:11 AM

Who is more "retarded?" Teenagers and retired people, or the guy dismissing every member of two age groups as "retarded?"

Jesus. Someone peed in the gene pool here.

Ginsu 11-02-03 12:22 PM

The CC in Federal Way WA. has been very good to me in the past. Great knowledgable employees that can find any DVD they stock in seconds.

The CC in Tacoma WA. on the other hand is terrible.

matome 11-02-03 02:37 PM

I stopped going to my local CC's since there DVD sections are so disorganized, you can never find the titles you want.

chanster 11-03-03 07:03 AM

CC has made an effort to get the people in with cheap DVD's They advertise in Chicago their hot DVD (Nemo =$14.99) so its a good deal.

retihsuhnt 11-03-03 10:34 AM

I must say that I have not been in a CC in about two (2) months, but the Eugene and Salem, OR stores are staffed by people that could not get hired at the local Jack in the Box. BB in Salem is not much higher since there are 900 sales people on the floor and none of them can be of assistance.

Honestly most of the "purchasing" of DVDs lately have been either through online outlets, test drive certificates, or Costco. I honestly feel punished (as a consumer) for walking into BB or CC.