Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon resorting to cheap tricks on pre-orders now?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-21-03, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had preordered the Indy box set at amazon. On saturday morning I read about the Eckerd deal for the set which was cheaper than the amazon deal.

So I go to my account at amazon to cancel my order, but I was greeted by the message :

"We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed".

I was disappointed, but it was a comforting thought that they were atleast shipping two days before release date and so I can have the set on the release date.

Now it has been more than two days, and the order status remains the same: "preparing to ship. you cannot cancel." The estimated delivery date shows November 4th.

I believe that amazon is locking in the people who preordered, who may cancel when the B&M deals are announced close to release date.

They just change the shipping status as preparing to ship, but it seems that they will actually ship only next week.
Old 10-21-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While very unfair, they are protecting their butt so that people won't jump ship at the last minute to lower B&M deals as you seem to be suggesting.
Old 10-21-03, 06:13 AM

Same thing here, but I'll go postal if they wait 'till November to ship it. I can understand a slight delay because of the inevitably large volume of Indy orders they received, but they damn well better have it shipped out by this week. I'm usually not one to care about having the DVD the day/week it comes out, but considering that we pre-ordered, the least we should expect is to get it on release week.

BTW, they never ship two days before the release date (at least in my experience). The best to hope for is to get it a few days after release, which I can live with. I got the John Carpenter Horror Collection from Amazon on a Thursday when it came out two days before on the Tuesday. Pretty good to me.
Old 10-21-03, 06:16 AM

Besides, you could always buy it from a B&M and return the Amazon order when you get it. There are no fees associated with doing that, I assume?. If I'm right about there being no fees, then it's hardly "unfair" on Amazon's part as long as they actually ship the thing today or tomorrow. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but despite my many nitpicks about Amazon, they do have great customer service and price matching/changing policies. They are perhaps the most professional etailer on the web (not my absolute favorite, but definitely the most professional). You never have to worry when ordering from them.
Old 10-21-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just received a shipping confirmation for my Indy set from Amazon. It says it shipped 10/20. Since it's been shipped from New Castle, DE (100 miles down the turnpike) I should have it today or tommorw. I don't think Amazon was playing games (in this case ). But then again, why would they on this one item and not Finding Nemo, Lion King or any other high volume seller?
Old 10-22-03, 07:09 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't really trust the shipping date/time in their order tracking page. I checked my order on 10/21 at about 10am PST and it said the order was shipped on 10/21 at 3pm. They must be shipping stuff from the middle of the Atlantic
Old 10-22-03, 07:27 PM

I had pre-ordered Indy on July 24th. It was in my gold box, and with free shipping it was 38.94. Well, after the release date was changed, my account still said the item would realese on Nov. 11th, shipping on the 10th with delivery between the 14th-21st.
I figured I would wait until yesterday to see if it would ship. It hasn't. I called cs and they told me the shipping date would change to Oct. 27th, with delivery sometime the first week of Nov.
I said o.k. and hung up, but then thought wait a minute, what good is pre-ordering if it takes a week before it will ship. So I fired off an e-mail and said if it wasn't shipped by Friday, I would cancel the order. Has anyone else not have their pre-order ship yet?
Old 10-22-03, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Me,

But to be fair I ordered the DVDs Monday, and my order still is in the status of View or cancel (not shipping soon). If by friday the status is the same I would cancel the order and going to buy the DVDs in other place.
Old 10-22-03, 08:23 PM

yeah, at amazon the shipping status means nothing. even the tracking from ups and usps isn't always that accurate. i remember when i pre-ordered the two towers (2 disc) set a few months ago, i recieved it on release day, but after i got it i checked back at amazon and it said it hadn't been shipped yet!

my indiana jones stills says it's shipping soon, but they also gave me a tracking code that says it was shipped yesterday. so whatever. i'll probably get it tomorrow.
Old 10-23-03, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Well I just received a shipping confirmation for my Indiana Jones DVDs from Amazon. Now Im happy.

Last edited by lambs180; 10-23-03 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know anything about the Indy series, but I know that I preordered Finding Nemo. It will be released on Nov. 4, but the estimated ship date for Amazon is Nov. 10 (the following Monday), with an estimated arrival date of late that week.
Old 10-24-03, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

I Preordered...

I preordered the Looney Tunes Golden Collection this past August from Amazon.com. I looked at my shipping estimate and it says Nov 8. This is the first time I called Amazon.com to find out why the long delay in shipping since I asked for standard shipping. I will wait till Monday/Tuesday to call and see if I can get it moved up to the week of release. If I have to wait till Nov. 13th to get my set, this will be the LAST time I preorder from them.
Old 10-24-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
They purposefully delay shipping when you choose free shipping in order to entice you to upgrade to standard shipping. This way they can advertise they offer free shipping but still get a decent amount of people to pay for it.

I never pay for it, I don't need to have something on release date.
Old 10-24-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I Preordered...

Originally posted by SailorNeptune
I preordered the Looney Tunes Golden Collection this past August from Amazon.com. I looked at my shipping estimate and it says Nov 8. This is the first time I called Amazon.com to find out why the long delay in shipping since I asked for standard shipping. I will wait till Monday/Tuesday to call and see if I can get it moved up to the week of release. If I have to wait till Nov. 13th to get my set, this will be the LAST time I preorder from them.
I don't know why Amazon even bothers giving an estimate because they are never close to being accurate in predicting the shipping date. I wouldn't expect your order to arrive by the official release date but at least it should ship long before the estimate given.
Old 10-24-03, 03:49 PM

I could be wrong but I would think that amazon has enough to worry about without monitoring every stores prices and then locking in pre-orders before cancelations begin. I doubt that this is what happened, more likely they followed their normal process and it was bad luck for you that your order entered the preparation process before you could cancel.