Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Questions about wholesale clubs

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some questions about how wholesale clubs work. My wife is a member @ BJs Wholesale Club. Whenever we buy something, we get stopped at the door when we exit and have to show our receipt to the employee at the door.

My question is:
Do we have to?

Normally, I don't mind. It's not like Comp USA where you walk 5 feet from the register to the door and have to show the receipt for the stuff the person just watched you buy. BJs is also different in that it's a large warehouse and there are many large, bulk purchases.

Many people just walk out the door at places like Comp USA, etc. and ignore the employee. There's no way they can detain you unless they have reason to.

Is it the same at wholesale clubs? Did anyone bother to read the fine print on the membership application? (I'm sure my wife didn't.) Am I required to show my receipt? Do they have any recourse if I don't (either legally or by taking away the membership?)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Or maybe there are some legal eagles out there who can speak to any differences between a wholesale club and a regular store.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know you have to do it at Costco as well. They have a sign up saying it is for verifing the items you purchased.
Old 09-29-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The purpose of marking your receipt is so you don't go through the store and use it again (aka: stealing).
Old 09-29-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are looking the other way I slip out without letting them look at my receipt.

Just call me a rebel.

Oh, and you don't need a membership to purchase alcohol or, I believe, prescription drugs at wholesale clubs. I used to be a lifetime member of Sams until they decided not to have any more lifetime members, but I still go back every month or two to buy some wine (they have the lowest price on the brand I buy).
Old 09-29-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to sound harsh, but what does it really matter if you have to show your receipt or not? It really amazes me that people have a problem with this. If you don't want to have to show your receipt then you can go and obtain a refund for your membership and not shop there anymore.
Old 09-29-03, 04:44 PM

They have a sign up saying it is for verifing the items you purchased.
OK, but a sign isn't a law. I'm really looking for more factual information, not conjecture.

The purpose of marking your receipt is so you don't go through the store and use it again
Yes, I understand.

Not to sound harsh, but what does it really matter if you have to show your receipt or not?
Where did I state or imply that I had a problem with it? Oh, that's right, I didn't. There wasn't even any tone in my original post to indicate I had a major problem with it. I'm just looking for more specific information. Maybe you've assumed incorrectly.

If you don't want to have to show your receipt then you can go and obtain a refund for your membership and not shop there anymore.
If you read my original post, you'd see I don't even have my own membership and I'm really not looking to cancel my wife's. Also, I really wasn't looking for your opinion on my ethics. If I was, I would have PM'ed you. I'm looking for some objective factual information. If you have some, please share it.
Old 09-30-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Funk
OK, but a sign isn't a law. I'm really looking for more factual information, not conjecture.

---snip---
I should have been more clear as to who I was directing my comment to in my post. Mostly the post came from seeing this type of inquiry post go the way of folks talking about sneaking out before they can have their receipt checked and their refusal in getting it checked period.

Heat's "If they are looking the other way I slip out without letting them look at my receipt," somewhat prompted my response, but I guess my mind was wandering and thinking ahead of the game.

Sorry if I offended.
Old 09-30-03, 03:50 AM

I do believe when you sign up they have you sign terms and conditions to use their service. With a sign hungup, doesn't that make it a condition, but who knows and to be frankly honest with you, who gives a crap. Live with it or shop somewhere else and save that precious 5 seconds. Maybe it's me, who cares if you have to wait 5 seconds to have them check your receipt.