Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BestBuy.com - site down ? overworked?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-04-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We've updated BestBuy.com, and it's better
than ever. The aisles, however,
are packed with shoppers right now.
So, grab a cup of coffee and check back soon.

To check the status of an existing order,
call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289).

In other words, their newly designed site (yeah, the one that they had to shut down 10 days for) is a bit flakey....
Old 08-04-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
And it's been, at least when I've checked, ridiculously slow, along with various time-outs when running searches. I'm not really impressed. Although if I recall correctly, at least now it lets you sort Ascending by Price, rather than only Descending..
Old 08-04-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-04-03, 04:12 PM

It's back up now (5:15 Eastern).
Old 08-04-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
The site is messed up I tried to order two dvds: Friday and the Shawshank Redemption and the checkout system keeps telling me that there are no shipping options to my address and it will not let me order I just ordered American Pie 1 and 2 Saturday with the same address. It is weird.
Old 08-04-03, 08:55 PM
DrS

I lost a decent set of pre-orders on the "upgrade" a month or three ago, and am still emailing with them to see if they lost it, cancelled it, found it, etc. Still no real answers. Very disappointing, esp after the Bond bonus DVD fiasco.

Shape up BB!

PS: their site is still slow tonight. Whenever they have trouble, I think of their ads that say "let us install it for you" Yeah, right (you are doing a great job with your own install) /joke off
Old 08-05-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the new site...the old one was useless...
Old 08-05-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
I like the new site...the old one was useless...
I was able to search and buy things from the old site, the new site lets me do neither. (I don't like the new site, but I believe my wallet does)

Searching for 'Charlton Heston' or 'The Omega Man' under movies gives me the exact same results as when I search for 'Chicken Enchilada.' Not very helpful.
Old 08-06-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to check BB.com every Sat nite/Sun morn for the updates to the "Hot Deals."

Now, I still have a hard time finding my way across the menudo of their home page (in homage to renaldow's "chicken enchilada").
Old 08-06-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
I was able to search and buy things from the old site, the new site lets me do neither. (I don't like the new site, but I believe my wallet does)

Searching for 'Charlton Heston' or 'The Omega Man' under movies gives me the exact same results as when I search for 'Chicken Enchilada.' Not very helpful.
That's interesting, I always hated the search feature under the old site....I never felt like it gave very good results. To each his own I guess....

I think I like the presentation of the new site more (tabs across the top, etc.)...I don't spend that much time there anyway...
Old 08-06-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got to agree that the old search wasn't much better. I won't be spending much time there anymore either.

I did figure out what the problem was I was having with the Charlton Heston / Chicken Enchilada searches. I was using Netscape to browse the site, and apparently the website doesn't actually take input from Netscape (Noticed 'No Text Entered' on search results) so no matter what I typed it would take it as a blank button press! Fairly aggravating, to say the least. I was able to search using IE and get actual results. Always a sign of poor work, IMHO, when a site doesn't work equally with both browsers.
Old 08-06-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lwhy?
The site is messed up I tried to order two dvds: Friday and the Shawshank Redemption and the checkout system keeps telling me that there are no shipping options to my address and it will not let me order I just ordered American Pie 1 and 2 Saturday with the same address. It is weird.
I called and asked about this problem and all they did was place my order for me over the phone.
Old 08-08-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried ordering from BB the other day and it timed out on the purchase screen ... I HATE that because you never know if the order actually got through or not and the site is almost too slow to go through and check.