Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So where to buy now that two of the classic online retailers are crap

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

So where to buy now that two of the classic online retailers are crap

Old 08-11-03, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So as of this morning, they have still not shipped out a pre order of mine. I must eyt again email them and find out why one of my dvd's is late (DvdPlanet). Just to update, they told me they could not cancel a few of my preorders because they had allready shipped. However, in fact only one dvd had shipped, the other seems to be "lost", or as of yet unshipped. Needless to say I've about had it with DVDPlanet.
Old 08-11-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally posted by DrS
DDD may be overwhelmed with lots of business, and not "crapping out" so much as trying to keep up. I've got lots of orders in with them, and they are churning through them. I'm willing to wait a bit, so I haven't really noticed any slowdown either.

For that matter, I just got three disks today from DVD Planet that I ordered 7/31. Not too bad.

d

Re: DDD

Are you kidding me!?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=308499

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=301803

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=305872

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=306344

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=307334
Old 08-12-03, 10:05 AM
DrS

No, I am not kidding you. They are doing fine by me. Got Rocky and Bullwinkle yesterday 8/11 which they shipped on 8/7. And that was over the weekend. Although there is some dispute about whether the release date was 8/5 or 8/12, they always had it 8/12, so it got here 1 day early and traveled fast to do so. Lots of other recent orders have been processed and arrived in a decent fashion. They are doing fine by me, and have improved of late.

And as for the overwhelmed hypothesis, it may be true, and/or they may be suffering from shipping from the same facility now newly commingled with Digital Eyes and DVD Planet. Maybe things are sorting themselves out with that transition. A recent DVD planet order also went well for me (that said, the comments about them seem much more grave than for DDD).

YMMV, but that is my experience. I am well aware of the tons of complaints. But there are also at least a few people or more in each of those threads willing to stand by DDD and/or who have been having a decent experience. They've never been super speedy, but free Amazon shipping is no lightning bolt either. If you want speed, pay the price. I don't want speed or high prices.

D

Last edited by DrS; 08-12-03 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 10:31 AM

Contrinuing on with my DVDPlanet tales, they did in fact ship Fist of the North Star vol. 4 today. I find it endlessly annoying that I now must email them to even find out if my order shipped. I have three more items pre ordered that I can't cancel at this point, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope they show up.
Old 08-12-03, 01:51 PM

Re: DDD

I've noticed a similar decline in service from DDD, and this is on pre-orders and orders with priority shipping.

I pre-ordered two discs with priority shipping, both due to street on the same day. One did, the other (a Media Blasters release) did not. The first disc shipped by priority, but I was never given an explanation for why the second disc had not shipped, and for two weeks after the street date, their web site showed the title as released and available (and no longer a pre-order). An email here, to let me know what had happened would have been nice. Not horrible, but not as good of service as I've gotten from them in the past.

Now, my second disc finally shipped on August 5th, with the invoice indicating priority shipping (though I expected their standard, slow shipping as they've done before with split shipments). Another disc I had just ordered shipped on the 6th, also with priority shipping. It is now the 12th, and neither disc has arrived. It has been my experience through dozens of priority shipments over the years that it really does take no more than 3 days to arrive, barring a catastrophe or maybe a big holiday.

So what happened to these discs? Why are my orders with DDD now so troublesome. They used to be great. For some they apparently still are. I'm no longer one of them.

CK
Old 08-12-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts
I get 80% of my DVDs from !

Our local Super Wal*Mart under cuts everyone... the average is around $14.88.

Other than that I go to Best Buy or Target. Very rarely do I buy DVDs online anymore. That's a shame.
Old 08-12-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
What happens if you go to local Best Buy or whatever stores that carries dvd's and they don't stock what you are looking for?I have read here many times where certain people will spend endless days looking for that certain dvd when u can order it online and have it delivered to your door.
Old 08-13-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I've written off NADVD because of a big hassle with a recent order, so that one off's my list also.
Old 08-13-03, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I get 80% of my DVDs from !

Our local Super Wal*Mart under cuts everyone... the average is around $14.88.

Other than that I go to Best Buy or Target. Very rarely do I buy DVDs online anymore. That's a shame.
Unfortunately, Wal-mart as well as most B&M do not have good selection of Anime DVDs. :-)
Plus, online saves people from trips to the stores.
Old 08-13-03, 12:22 PM

For me, I am now shopping at Wal*Mart (ug), www.Towerrecords.com (been with them a few years, prices can be low or high depending, but they have yet to screw up an order, and thus far they are allways fast), and www.Amazon.com.
Old 08-13-03, 02:26 PM

See DVDPlanet & BizRate post

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=309381
Old 08-13-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,393 Likes on 1,004 Posts
You only get good prices from Wal-Mart if they're near other stores like Target, Best Buy, or CC. They will undercut the lowest prices of competing retailers, but if your Wal-Mart is in a small city w/o any competition, you're going to pay out the butt.
Old 08-15-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are DVDempire & Amazon in regard to timely shipping of preorders? I'm willing to spend a little more if I can get my discs on or before the preorder date.
Old 08-15-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Empire shipped(Friday before release date) my Day of the DEad pre-order 50 minutes after I had ordered it(not bad).
Old 08-15-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After I made an order at DVDPlanet the Bizrate box did appear.
Old 08-15-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally posted by ianholm
How are DVDempire & Amazon in regard to timely shipping of preorders? I'm willing to spend a little more if I can get my discs on or before the preorder date.
I preordered B5 season 3 from Amazon with free shipping and got it the day before it was supposed to be released. I was very happy with that.
Old 08-16-03, 10:31 AM

Thus far, I'm really happy with Tower Records.

Not only did they not charge me for overnight shipping on my Beast Wars (because it arrived to their wharehouse late), but they also were super fast in getting me a recent order, even though my shipping method was slow boat to China (living in Alaska is sooo much fun.

I'd definatly recomend them, allthough their prices vary (sometimes awsome, sometimes not), and they generally don't list pre-orders early (unless it's a big title, such as LOTR TT or soemthing along those lines).
Old 08-17-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live & breath DVDEmpire! I have ALWAYS gotten pre-orders on the Monday before and their pre-order prices are great! I am also pretty sure that they will Price match if you send customer service a letter. The only titles that I don't buy there are the mainstream ones because Best Buy usually has them at a better price. And then there's ADULT DVDEmpire...

Sam
Old 08-17-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I don't like about DVD Empire is there costly tv boxsets-most are only 20 percent off retail.I would say 70 percent of my orders are thru them-however.
Old 08-17-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. Another quick question on DVD Empire. I notice that when you place an order there are shipping options at the bottom to a) ship order when complete or b) ship titles as they are available. My question is if I place pre-orders at different times, will all the preorders that come out on a specific date (like say, next Tuesday 8/26) automatically ship together in one box? Which shipping option should I select to ensure this?
Old 08-17-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The orders will come on a per order basis unless you combine the orders.Sometimes its better to do it that way(free shipping on 4 or more titles) and maybe use a coupon also.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 08-17-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-17-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ianholm
Thanks for the info. Another quick question on DVD Empire. I notice that when you place an order there are shipping options at the bottom to a) ship order when complete or b) ship titles as they are available. My question is if I place pre-orders at different times, will all the preorders that come out on a specific date (like say, next Tuesday 8/26) automatically ship together in one box? Which shipping option should I select to ensure this?
The differences between the two options are primarily when it ships and costs. If you select to ship when your order is complete it will not ship until the last item becomes available. It would also cost less to mail since it involves a single shipment. If you ship when available it means all titles with the same release date would ship together. Yes, they probably would be in the same box if the DVDs had the same release date. However, it would cost extra in shipping to send out multiple shipments. When I order from DVDEmpire I ship when complete and use free shipping for 4 or more titles since I try to save money.