Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDSOON. Unbelievable

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDSOON. Unbelievable

Old 07-28-03, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDSOON. Unbelievable

This company has been screwing around for about a month with their new, improved site. It makes promises of great things to come but for now it's a disaster.

You used to be able to take a chance if an item was in stock or on order but now you place your order and then you find out after when you check you account manager that it is "On Order". It seems 80% of items are on order.

I called to day by phone, after it took a week to get an email response, and asked to have a six week old order, that now has more "on order" than when I placed it, cancelled. I was informed their system can't cancel orders "for now".

So after having my money for six weeks. Waiting for movies I wanted that were pre-orders to be released a couple of days after I ordered them. I'm told I just have to wait until they get a system working that allows me to cancel and get a refund.

Loan this place your money at your own risk! You get locked in. No money, no movies and no hazzle free way to go to another place and get the movies if you get tired of waiting.
Old 07-28-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Do a chargeback with your credit card QUICK. Most CCs let you do claim up to 8 weeks from the date of purchase.
Old 07-28-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having a problem too. I accidentally ordered two copies of Tightrope and I'm having a heck of a time cancelling one. I've talked to them and been promised that customers will be able to do these cancellations "soon." At this time, she said the CSRs couldn't even make the change or cancel the order. At least it doesn't come out for awhile. Maybe they'll get their act together by then.

I have had much luck with them in the past and gotten a lot of stuff at great prices so I'm willing to go along for awhile. It seems every site has numerous problems when they "improve" the site.
Old 07-28-03, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Same situation.

It makes me a bit nervous when a store says they can't cancel an order. I thought by law they have to let you do that?
Old 07-29-03, 01:31 PM

I pre-ordered the Billy Wilder collection from them and it hasn't even shipped after 2 weeks. I'm starting to regret trying to save the money, especially after they lost my brother's order for Back to the Future, but charged him anyway.
Old 07-29-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDsoon is notorious for not sending out pre-orders for weeks after it is actually released. They have some great prices, but ordering is a crapshoot...
Old 07-29-03, 04:32 PM

movieking:
Yes, they have always been slow to ship pre-orders. For the rest you could see if an item was in stock before you ordered and could cancel when you got tired of waiting.

With the "improvements", you can't tell if an item is in stock until after you order, then you can't cancel the order.

dvdlaterratherthansoon

woemcats:

I had Billy Wilder ordered at another place but it got back ordered so I canceled. I thought it might be delayed in Canada but some places have it.
You did know this set is only 8 titles, they don't include "Witness for the Prosecution"?

Last edited by scouse; 07-29-03 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-29-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Aren't these guys the DVD Express of the north.Never anything in stock-they wait until they have enough orders till they start too purchase the merchandise.
Old 07-29-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you for preventing me from ordering something tonight. These people just can't seem to get their s#$% together
Old 07-30-03, 10:34 AM
Banned

I'm kind of glad I didn't order Babylon5 set 3 from them. I suspect I'd be waiting months to get it if I did.
Old 07-30-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here. Emailed = no response. Called = it doesn't even connect for me.

Placed an order 3 weeks ago and my order is not in Pending or Shipped, it's just Blank.

This is my first order with them (free shipping in July) and it'll be my last order with them.
Old 07-31-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It took about 3 weeks for an order I placed in early July to get to my door.
Old 08-01-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know of a specific way to speak to a live human being and escape their intentionally byzantine voicemail system? I ask as I never received my login/pass information via email nor was I sent any confirmation of my order. My CC# has been charged and yet I can't access the status of my order due to my forgetting of the login/pass. Additionally, the option on their site to have this information emailed to you consistantly pulls up an internal server error. A phlethora of mails and phone messages have thus far been ignored by their incompetent staff. Needless to say this will be my first and last attempt to save money by ordering through this company. Any and all help will be met with suitable applause on my end.
Old 08-01-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by meritocracy
Does anyone know of a specific way to speak to a live human being and escape their intentionally byzantine voicemail system? I ask as I never received my login/pass information via email nor was I sent any confirmation of my order. My CC# has been charged and yet I can't access the status of my order due to my forgetting of the login/pass. Additionally, the option on their site to have this information emailed to you consistantly pulls up an internal server error. A phlethora of mails and phone messages have thus far been ignored by their incompetent staff. Needless to say this will be my first and last attempt to save money by ordering through this company. Any and all help will be met with suitable applause on my end.
Seeing that you email is aol, that might cause a problem. I know when I had aol, DDD emails I would never receive. What I would suggest is register again...most likely you will end up using the same user name and it will tell you so. That usually works for me. Might sound stupid, but it happens.
Old 08-01-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my DVDSoon story:
I preordered Ararat with the 7/22 release date. I checked my order status on 7/22 and found that it was now a French dvd to be released on 8/12. Meanwhile, Ararat is available here in the states. I emailed them on Monday 7/28 to cancel the order. Hadn't heard back from them by this morning so I left a voice mail instructing them to cancel the order if they hadn't by now. When I got home today I had a message from them explaining that I had a preorder in for Ararat for 8/12. What? If it does come I'll just send it back and I'm calling my cc company.
Old 08-01-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by meritocracy
When I called their toll-free number I got a message saying leave a message and they'd call me back (I wasn't going to fall for that one). When I called their regular number (450-449-5383) I did get to talk to a person. But my problem still hasn't been solved.
Old 08-02-03, 06:29 PM

My Wilder set finally showed up (had to pick it up at the post office for some reason, but at least there was no duty or tax or whatever). I knew it was 8 discs, but the price was still good.
Old 08-04-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received this from them today about my ongoing efforts to cancel an order - this is apparently rocket science.

Dear Sir,
We do apologize for the delay of our response. We are currently trying to catch up on the backlog in the emails and telephone calls

Unfortunately, for now, there is no way to cancel an order. The development team has made it its top priority to make the cancellation available as quickly as possible.

If you should receive a parcel that you wanted cancelled, and you informed us of your decision before the cancellation feature became available, you can send it back to us with a signed explanatory letter containing your order ID and we will take care of the rest.

We truly apologize again for this problem and you can rest assured that it will be corrected promptly, along with several modifications each and every day from DVDSoon.com's team of programmers. Don't forget to check our Messaging Center for updates! If you should need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
Yours truly,

-------------------------
Old 08-04-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who is their "team of programmers"? The Cincinnatti Bengals? Sheesh.
Old 08-04-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Boot
I think it must be the otherwise unemployable kids of the CEO.
Old 08-04-03, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Boot
Old 08-05-03, 06:24 AM
Banned

Whoever their head of IT department, as well as their "team" of programmers should be FIRED! This kind of non-sense is inexcusable. No backup plans, no contingency plans, NOTHING. They say that they tested it before infecting their live site and that it worked fine, but I don't believe that for one minute. This kind of problem should've been solved in less than one day. I know that I could've done so myself.

What's worse is that they are not emailing their customers and thanking them for their patience. Actually, they need to be grovelling to their existing customers. An email to all of their customers who have order from them (or had a completed order from them) within the past 3 month needs to have an email sent to them basically grovelling to them. And if it takes their "team of programmers" more than an hour to handle that (after the email text is given to them), then it REALLY shows just how incompetant they really are (and I am assuming that they have to start from scratch instead of some pre-done mechanism to mass email). I am not out to get something for nothing, but they had better offer me some incentive to stay on as a customer. The dead silence on their part is almost as bad as their actual problems.

I always felt that they were "living on the edge" with regards to them actually being in existence, but I ordered from them to save money, and as long as I don't have to contact them, they seem to do the job OK. My expectations are much lower. My biggest complaint is them not holding items that I have already paid for. This has only been a real problem twice in the 1 1/2 years that I have bought from them, and a couple of annoyances for a few others, but usually lasted less than a week. They also have some other smaller shortcomings, but as I said, my expectations are MUCH lower, and I know if that they falter, I have my credit card proctection with me.

If they are indeed always on the brink of being in existence, this might just be their own undoing.

Only time will tell...

Bill
Old 08-05-03, 06:33 PM
Banned

They are getting increasingly worse.

They shipped out my B5 S3, which is good- and the email notification they send you is poor. Just gives the order # and says it "shipped".

So I go to the website to check my status- it lists a tracking #. What carrier? Who knows? I entered it into every service I could think of, including CanadaPost, and none of them are valid.

It's a bad sign they're so disorganized. I have a sense they might not be around much longer.
Old 08-05-03, 06:41 PM

I have to agree with the sentiments being expressed here. As a web developer myself I cannot believe this company would roll out code to their production environment with a major deficiency like this!

This crack team of programmers must be on loan from the BestBuy.com IT development area.
Old 08-06-03, 06:25 AM
Banned

This crack team of programmers must be on loan from the BestBuy.com IT development area
You said it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.