Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Skinnyguy.com--unsolicited testimonial

Old 07-17-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Skinnyguy.com--unsolicited testimonial

Just wanted to share my experience with Skinnyguy.com.
I heard of them through a post on here talking about trading in DVD's, so I thought I'd check them out--I had a lot of stuff sitting on Half.com for quite some time that wasn't going anywhere.
So I browsed their site; they offer New and Used DVD's, CD's, and VHS. I shopped for some stuff that I didn't want to shell out the bucks for [Mary Tyler Moore S1, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sakura Diaries CE, ReAnimator ME] and went through my collection to see what to trade. The stuff I bought totaled just over 120 bucks [their prices were pretty average, but they do seem to have a decent selection.] The stuff I traded in totaled around 110 dollars. You're certainly not going to get rich trading stuff in to them, but it's a good way to get rid of stuff that isn't moving on Half.com, and I wasn't going to hassle with Ebay for all of them. Actually since some of the items I traded, I had won, or purchased very cheaply through Ebay or Columbia House, I ended up breaking about even, which wasn't bad. Anyway--I filled my Buy cart and my Sell cart, used a 5$ gift certificate I had won for answering their trivia question, and ended up paying 3.85 cash including shipping for those four things above. Their shipping costs were per *package*, not *disk*--ie, even though those 4 items had a total of 9 disks, they charged shipping for 4 DVD's. Three of the items were new, one was preowned. [You can buy and trade at the same time, or just buy or trade, and save the credit for later.]
I got the items rather quickly; it took them about three days to fill it, then about 4 days to receive it via media mail. Securely packed in a big box. Coincidentally, the same box they wanted me to use to ship my tradeins to them. My tradeins and two pieces of bubblewrap fit perfectly. They enclosed a 'Business Reply Mail' sticker to put on it, so they would pay for shipping my tradeins. I did splurge in getting Return Receipt and Insurance 'just in case', which was about three bucks. They recieved them and credited them to my account promptly; about a week. So my first deal went well.

But there's more:

Eventually I got around to watching Re-Animator, which was the 'preowned' item I got from them. About 30 minutes into it, I run into some awful pixelation, screen jumping, and audio noise, that lasted at least 5 minutes, that totally took you out of the movie, and in fact froze my DVD player. I took out the disk, cleaned it, and tried again. Same thing. I skipped forward to the next chapter--same thing. I went to check Skinnyguy's guarantee--which was only suppose to apply for 30 days. I was watching this movie ~40 days after receiving it. Oh well, I thought I'd try anyway. Wrote them an email, detailing my order and the problem....They sent me back a 5.00 gift code as an apology, and asked me to send them back the DVD, they had no more copies in stock so they would credit my account [not my credit card, since the original order was a tradein] the value of the DVD and the cost of postage [media mail]. Which they did even before they received the item. Which I just turned around and spent today on another item, which cost a total of 1.00 after credit and coupon : )

So--I'm rather impressed with them; their product wasn't perfect, but they remedied the problem speedily and in a satisfactory manner, which is what I as a consumer look for. They don't do anything fancy like share the love, their prices aren't the best, and their website is somewhat challenging to browse [versus search], but their selection seems to be pretty good, they do give decent prices on DVD tradeins, and their customer service/problem resolution is about the best I've run into so far online. They will also cash out store credit at 60% of the value, which isn't a whole lot, but at least the option is there. Give them a shot, next time you're looking to buy or trade [and your stuff isn't moving here, and the DVDTalk-linked stores don't have your stuff.]
Old 07-17-03, 11:08 PM

I've had several good experiences with skinnyguy. In most cases they pay more for used product than other online vendors but charge a little extra for what you buy, as well as ebay-like premiums on rare and oop's. But, searching through their inventory I've found some excellent prices on both new and used dvd.
Skinnyguy.com is worth a look for those who buy/sell used discs.
Old 07-23-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been looking at their site for a few days, but they haven't had their sell to option available, because they are updating it. How long has it been down? Anyone have any idea about when it might be back up again?
Old 07-23-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good question--it was actually down last week for a day or two, then the whole site was down for a day or two; I guess they're still ironing out the bugs. Hope it comes back soon, I have a few more I can send their way also.

One other thing I like about the site is that they have a sense of humor. Some of the descriptions or captions on the site are pretty funny, and they have that 'rumors' section also.
Old 07-26-03, 03:43 PM
Defunct Account

Arrrrgh! Still down. It's been down for a couple of weeks now. I've got some DVDs ready to sell too.

-Videophile
Old 07-29-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The whole site is down now.
Old 07-29-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting....and I've been waiting for about five days for them to find an item and ship it....
: (
hope they're just having a spate of bad computer/network luck, and nothing worse for either them or us
Old 07-30-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, their site's still down, but it appears they are doing some work behind the scenes, judging from this email I rec'd today:

*dtcarson*,

We just wanted to let you know that your Skinnyguy.com order number xxx has been processed, and should be received in 7-21 business days.

-The Skinnyguys
Old 08-09-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still down? I am glad that I didn't get a chance to deal with these guys...
Old 08-09-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, apparently I spoke too soon. I did recieve the item I ordered before it went down, and when it was up, they did good work, but the site has been down for at least two weeks or so. Figures, once I find something I like, it breaks : (
It'd be nice if they put a more informative splash screen up; I don't think it takes two weeks to do "some routine maintenance on the website".
Old 08-09-03, 08:19 PM
Defunct Account

[wild guess] I think they may be rethinking their business plan or price structure.[/wild guess]

I was able to trade-in several old versions of movies that I had double-dipped (original versions of Usual Suspects, Stargate flipper etc.) for Criterions. I remember boxing them up to send them off thinking "Wow, on the exchange board I'd NEVER get this good of a deal." It was about 3.5 used movies for a new $29.95 SRP Criterion. I don't see how they can take old versions and movies that are avalible via CH and pay as much as they were.

I e-mailed them twice recently. First when the buying side of the site went down to asked when it would be up, and again after the site had been down a couple of days. I didn't get a response to either.

Too bad, they were a good place to trade discs in.

-Videophile
Old 08-12-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are being sold to another company. I just saw one of their auctions on ebay, and they said that they are being sold, and are clearing out their inventory.

"Skinnyguy.com is being sold to another company and therefore we have some equipment and DVD, VHS, and CD inventory to sell on eBay. Please check back in the coming weeks for more great deals on entertainment products."

Check out this auction for example:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=3341541687
Old 08-12-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, crap. Teach me to say something good about a company.