DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Favor to ask re: Vid Rental Store input... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/305611-favor-ask-re-vid-rental-store-input.html)

skuehl34 07-17-03 12:46 AM

Favor to ask re: Vid Rental Store input...

Has been a long time since I have been around - but I am doing some research and wanted to ask the group a few questions, maybe get some insight...

1. If you had your way - or could change something about your vid rental store/outlet you use - what would it be? Whether it be selection, quality, quantity, displays, drop off point, cust. serv., games selection, more kids stuff, Internet portals, etc...anything like that.

2. Would you find Internet portals advantageous (in a game/video rental store) to be able to utilize for powerful online/multi-user games testing/misc. usage (the home server/system not being powerful enough for every game)...?

3. Do the 5-day rentals work for you for the basic movies (whether DVD or not) for actually watching the content? Do you really need all week to watch a rental? Or is it a waste of time - can be watched in 2 days/nights if needed? Do you ever find yourself losing track of the 5-day window/when to return?

4. If you have kids - do you think a rental store would be a place you would think of (if you knew they had a selection) of Docus and Misc. History (Military, etc.) films to aid with research projects?

Lengthy questions I know - but this place has always helped me before...thank you ahead of time.

Steve

Groucho 07-17-03 12:48 AM

Longer rentals for less money.

Movie_Man 07-17-03 12:00 PM

I haven't rented from a store in a long time. My major turn off's were poor selection, and (IMO) overpriced. Ok fine, charge $4 for the hot new releases, but $4 for some low demand title that's been out for years? No thanks.

Regarding the 5 day window - the only purpose that served for me was I could pick up a new release on Tueday (when it's likely to still be there) and then watch it Friday or Saturday.

Yes, many years ago I did rent the occasional VHS titles to help me out with a school project. My wife's a teacher, and she's picked up videos to take to her school for part of a lesson - usually something along the lines of a National Geographic.

rkndkn 07-17-03 01:45 PM

Just briefly. . .

I think if the rental period is at least 3 or 4 nights, it encourages the customer to borrow multiple titles. People hate having to run back and forth -- borrow one, return it overnight, borrow another, etc. I personally hate the "ticking clock" feeling of the overnight places.

Also, a return drop-box for when the store is closed is mandatory. I find it much more convenient returning things in the "off" hours when I don't have to fight traffic.

While I understand the overall demand may be lower, I think most video stores don't carry enough non-mainstream titles. If you can carry more obscure product (indies, foreign), the true movie fans will seek you out.