Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Big Problem with NorthAmericanDVD - need advice.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I placed two large orders - 10-12 items each, with a bunch of preorders for the free shipping.

For both orders, I got mailed part of the DVDs in one shipment and then I was supposed to get the rest when it was released.

I cancelled my checkcard and of course they were unable to charge me for the first order when the rest was complete.

Per Angela I re-did the order and placed in the notes "Do not charge shipping." She said that re-doing the order was the only way to get them my new checkcard number. So of course I didn't add what I had already received, only what was left to ship, and placed both orders.

Now some prices had changed from when I first ordered so I placed in the notes "If you agree to the lower price (which is what I was "charged" the first time around) go ahead and charge - if not please contact me.

They didn't contact me. They didn't charge me the lower price. They didn't even charge me the higher price (it was a difference of $11-15 per order, nothing big, at most $30 difference for both).

They charged me a total of $160 MORE of what the order would have been at the higher prices. I have no idea what they did. The only thing I can figure out is that they are sending me ALL of the DVDs for both orders (even the ones that I received already that I did NOT reorder) and shipping on top of that, even though per Angela I wrote in both no charge for shipping and explained the whole situation and that Angela stated this was the only way.

Both packages should be here any moment through UPS. I don't want to open them to see what they did because then shipping back to Canada is too expensive (and I have lost all trust in NADVD to, for example, reimburse shipping).

I don't want to pay for a phonecard ($20 min) to call them and without a phonecard it's ridiculously expensive.

And of course, I've sent an e-mail over a week ago with no reply.

So what should I do?
Old 07-05-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call your CC company and dispute the charges (assuming it has a Visa or MC logo and they are willing to play ball). Keep all of the stuff. Wait for NADVD to contact you screaming WTF!? and then force them to work it out on your terms.
Old 07-05-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's not really kosher. If I say that I didn't get the items, I would be lying. If I told the truth that I have the items, the claim will be denied (I work for a bank so I file claims daily).

One option is to Return to Sender (which is why I want to keep them closed - free shipping back as long as the packages have not been opened). Does anyone have a contact at NADVD that answers e-mails?

They had become my store of choice (and both orders were about $1,000) but they just lost all future business with the way they are (not) handling this. If you have e-mail CS, the least you can do is answer your e-mails.

Any other options besides filing a claim? I'm not worried because I can return to sender and then dispute the whole amount and get it back with the UPS tracking number. I never agreed to those amounts so I'm pretty sure I'm covered that way, right? That's a worse-case scenario. The best thing to happen would be for them to contact me. Sigh.
Old 07-06-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deb: You are trying to be very ethical here and balance the situation for you and NADVD. However, there comes a point where you have to stop going out of your way being nice, notably when emails are not returned after glaring price mistakes are made.

I would send back the new shipments (refuse delivery), and dispute the entire amounts with the bank card company. Think of the "Did you receive the items" question as "Did I get what I paid for, agreed to, and otherwise clearly stipulated in my notes to the company?"

The simple answer is "no". Let NADVD come back to you when they realize what a mess they caused. I know if I owned a company, I would flag orders over $250 and ensure they were properly handled.

Keep what you have....dispute the entire amount. I'm a pretty honest person myself (I point out price mistakes in my favor all the time) and I would lose no sleep going the route I suggest above. Will at least make NADVD contact you to resolve this, and that will give you a chance to demonstrate what their ineptitude has caused, namely, loss of a loyal customer.

Just my $.02
Old 07-06-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a note, I already paid for what I received before - they charged at the time of shipment
Old 07-07-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I ended up calling them. My mom always calls Venezuela so she gave me a used phonecard and I refilled it with $10. After I talked to NADVD, there was $9.62 left which she'll pay for and keep the card, so it was a bargain for me

The overcharges were as following: $345.70 instead of $209.93 and $215.44 instead of $167.96, for a total in overcharge of $183.58.

One of the orders had the shipping added so they will refund that. All she said about the other order was that someone keyed it in wrong. She'll process refunds.

I'll shop there again. I still think they should answer their e-mails but I got a cheap way to call them now

P.S. They will honor the prices I paid when I made the original orders

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-07-03 at 01:42 PM.