Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountDVD : A warning to anyone who shops there

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-02-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: DeepDiscountDVD

For those who choose free shipping, did you know they are now saying to allow 15 days before you receive your order? They say nothing about this on their website. Nor it is in their e-mail confirmation. I wrote about this in another thread, but I placed an order with them on Wednesday June 11th. That order did not go out until four days later, and it was NOT on back order. Their recorded message says orders go out within 36 hours after the order is placed. Mine was more like 72 (plus) hours. A small gripe, yes. But still, not exactly true. Here it is 16 business days and I still don't have my order. When I called DDD, the rep actually told me to allow another 5 days on top of THAT!! I said to her, "You know, if your delivery time is going to wildly flucuate like that, you need to not only put that on your website, but in your e-mail confirmations as well". Then I went on to tell her that this particular order was a birthday gift that I was planning on giving my niece at her party tomorrow. I had no idea it would take this long. It hasn't before. Even at 10 days, I would have received it well in advance. I contacted them twice via e-mail and I got one fairly impersonal response. That if time was a factor for me, I should pay for shipping next time. Trust me, I will. That's not the point. They didn't offer to send me another one. And didn't even apologize. Neither did the rep I spoke to. She just said in a monotone voice "I'll make that suggestion to my manager".

Signed,
An extremely unhappy customer
Old 07-02-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You get what you pay for.
Old 07-02-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Quatermass
You get what you pay for.
Actually, I haven't. But thanks for the input.
Old 07-02-03, 05:34 PM

I think DDD should send the stuff with delivery confirmation. When you print up your own postage paid labels, delivery confirmation is only 17 cents(or something close) with standard mail. It is free with Priority. That way a customer can see that they have in fact shipped it, and they can track it and blame the post office if it lingers too long. Amazon ships standard with the delivery confirmation with their free shipping, and I get everything within 2 or 3 days after they ship. Things seem to travel faster in the post office when they have to scan because confirmation stuff has to be scanned daily and can't really sit around too long unlike the huge bins of bulk rate/standard stuff that the DDD packages sit in.
Old 07-02-03, 06:20 PM
Banned

Yeah, they really oughtta change the 5-10 days thing to 15-30.
Old 07-02-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RonG617
I think DDD should send the stuff with delivery confirmation. When you print up your own postage paid labels, delivery confirmation is only 17 cents(or something close) with standard mail. It is free with Priority. That way a customer can see that they have in fact shipped it, and they can track it and blame the post office if it lingers too long. Amazon ships standard with the delivery confirmation with their free shipping, and I get everything within 2 or 3 days after they ship. Things seem to travel faster in the post office when they have to scan because confirmation stuff has to be scanned daily and can't really sit around too long unlike the huge bins of bulk rate/standard stuff that the DDD packages sit in.
Actually they do use delivery confirmation but they do not give that information to the customer. When a package arrives it has a bar code with numbers under that. Put the numbers into USPS tracking system and it tells you when it was delivered. Of course its of no use to the customer at that time but I think they check it if you contact them about something that has not arrived yet and tell you to keep waiting.
Old 07-03-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RonG617
Amazon ships standard with the delivery confirmation with their free shipping, and I get everything within 2 or 3 days after they ship.
Amazon also has umpteen distribution centers so the package probably started out only a few hundred miles from your house.
Old 07-03-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DeepDiscount ships most of its stuff media mail, I think. Media mail, according to the PO [not DDD], can take 10-15 days or more. Usually I have had stuff arrive in less than 5 days, no matter where it's from, but they leave themselves the leeway [I wouldn't expect that sort of speed around Christmastime, for instance.]
Now, if it takes a while to process the order at DDD, then that's definitely an issue; very little is more frustrating than constantly seeing 'Waiting to ship.'
If it's not too late, try to buy the product at a local store, then when the DDD one arrives, return it to the local store. The morality of that can be debated, but I had to do that once also, when I was in the same situation you are and got jacked around by customer service.
Old 07-03-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
like Quatermass said "you get what you pay for"...

if it took 5-30 days for me to recieve a package that I had paid for shipping, I could understand the complaint..

and also, like dtcarson said the majority of the stuff i've recieved from DDD were shipped media mail...unfortunately, once it's dropped at the PO, it's outta DDD's hands..
Old 07-03-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I received 3 titles from seperate orders today in one package from DDD. I received shipping emails on 6/25. My package had 2 shipping labels, one on top of the other. The one underneath had a long bar code with numbers below that but it did not come up on the USPS tracking so maybe they do not delivery confirm anymore.
Old 07-04-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
like Quatermass said "you get what you pay for"...

if it took 5-30 days for me to recieve a package that I had paid for shipping, I could understand the complaint..

and also, like dtcarson said the majority of the stuff i've recieved from DDD were shipped media mail...unfortunately, once it's dropped at the PO, it's outta DDD's hands..

Then DDD has an obligation to tell their customers this. And remove the 5-10 business days from their website and e-mails. Because that is clearly not true.
Old 07-04-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can always upgrade and pay for faster shipping . Its hard to complain about slow shipping when its free. You ever try Best Buy's free shiping? The dvd comes in a frigging padded envelope . DDD ships in a box.
Old 07-04-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I've had lots of DVDs sent to me in padded envelopes (as well as lots send in boxes) and I have yet to experience one sent in a padded envelope that's been damaged. Like I said, maybe I've just gotten lucky. Also, I've never ordered from Best Buy. Maybe they use cheaper envelopes than other distributors.
Old 07-04-03, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

The people who are defending DDD and the free shipping are completely missing the point here. If they are advertising that it takes 5-10 business days, and that's incorrect, then that's false advertising! The original poster said that if they knew it was going to take that long, and it didn't in the past, they would have paid for shipping. You get what you pay for? You are absolutely correct. But when I get it writing that something I've purchased will be delivered to me in x amount of days, that's a contract as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-04-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So a handful of people getting them later is false advertising? How many people are getting them in the timeframe stated vs not?

Unless the amount is over 20% it's hard to call it false advertising. My guess is that most arrive in 5-10 business days, but they ask you to wait a few extra to give time for any delay that may have occured.

If you don't like the shipping time or think they are not being honost you can always choose to buy from someone else.

my .02

Last edited by strife; 07-04-03 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once again, you get what you pay for

Hell if you need the DVD this second, go buy it in a store like Target with a 90 day return policy and then wait for the DDD order...and then you figure out the rest...

Still, they're prices are good, but B&M have the same low prices the first week
Old 07-04-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look, I tried getting this title at all my local stores first. None of them had it. I called DDD and they said they had plenty in stock. THAT'S why I ordered from them in the first place. I didn't need it this second. But here it is 17 business days later and I still don't have my order. Again, if DDD has any idea that a delivery can go beyond 10 days, they have an obligation to let people know this. I think I deserve that much. I've invested two years and have dropped a few hundred dollars into this company. I already said I was happy with them until recently. And my main problem is with the increasing time it takes with the free shipping.
Old 07-04-03, 08:47 PM
Banned

Just because people highlight their text in bold doesn't neccesarily make it true.
Old 07-05-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Revoltor
Just because people highlight their text in bold doesn't neccesarily make it true.
Originally posted by Daytripper
Look, I tried getting this title at all my local stores first. None of them had it. I called DDD and they said they had plenty in stock. THAT'S why I ordered from them in the first place. I didn't need it this second. But here it is 17 business days later and I still don't have my order. Again, if DDD has any idea that a delivery can go beyond 10 days, they have an obligation to let people know this. I think I deserve that much. I've invested two years and have dropped a few hundred dollars into this company. I already said I was happy with them until recently. And my main problem is with the increasing time it takes with the free shipping.
Well, if after "two years...and...a few hundred dollars" this is the only bad experience, i'd give 'em a pass..
Old 07-05-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
Well, if after "two years...and...a few hundred dollars" this is the only bad experience, i'd give 'em a pass..
Thanks for completely missing my point smart ass. I post just to let people know that DDD's free shipping is taking longer (according to them), more or less as an FYI in case time is important to them, and get all this. Not once did I tell anyone not to shop there. Nor did I indicate that I wouldn't either. Jesus!
Old 07-05-03, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Revoltor
Excuse me, but if this is happening to more than one person, and more frequently, then it is true. Not only do DDD acknowledge this, they are now saying it could take more time! Maybe they should highlight "5-10 business days" then.
Old 07-05-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I still didn't get my order today (after 18 business days), I called DDD and asked them to issue me a refund or to send out another one. But I told them I didn't want to wait this long again so charge me the 3 day shipping. The rep said they would overnight it to me at no charge. I will ship the other one back to them if I ever get it. Somehow I think it's gone for good. I've learned my lesson, believe me.
Old 07-05-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by SweetP
Excuse me, but if this is happening to more than one person, and more frequently, then it is true. Not only do DDD acknowledge this, they are now saying it could take more time! Maybe they should highlight "5-10 business days" then.
Again what's the percentage of people getting them in the timeframe vs those that are not?

You are seeing a very small portion of orders of placed with the company from the repies on this thread.
Old 07-06-03, 12:43 PM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by Daytripper
When I still didn't get my order today (after 18 business days), I called DDD and asked them to issue me a refund or to send out another one. But I told them I didn't want to wait this long again so charge me the 3 day shipping. The rep said they would overnight it to me at no charge. I will ship the other one back to them if I ever get it. Somehow I think it's gone for good. I've learned my lesson, believe me.
Sounds like they treated you pretty well. You should be happy. Free overnight AND they replaced it w/o a fight. That's worth a lot. Try getting a replacement from Buy.com!

-Videophile
Old 07-06-03, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by strife
Again what's the percentage of people getting them in the timeframe vs those that are not?

You are seeing a very small portion of orders of placed with the company from the repies on this thread.

Yeah, there are a few replies in this thread about the orders taking longer. There is also another thread in the "Store Forum" about DDD free delivery being very slow. And, again, DDD have even acknowledge this. So, clearly the 5-10 days is no longer accurate. As long as you know this before you order, it shouldn't be a problem. Most people don't. Hence these threads.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.