DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   paypal question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/302558-paypal-question.html)

jpcamb 07-01-03 01:06 PM

paypal question

I recently won an auction on ebay and the seller sent an email with the paypal price structure in it. The price structure was as follows:

PAYPAL FEE COMPUTATION
To compute your Paypal fees add:
winning bid amount plus
shipping charges (usually $0.90) plus
Florida sales tax (Florida residents only) plus
Insurance (Optional - usually $1.50) plus
$0.30 Paypal base fee.

Total the above items, then multiply that total by 0.029 to determine the Paypal Transaction fee. Add this Paypal transaction fee to the items above for the total amount to be input to Paypal.

Examples of Paypal charges are: $0.39 for a winning bid of $1.99 (with no sales tax and no insurance); $0.41 for a winning bid of $2.49 (no sales tax and no insurance).
Is this accurate? Its something like a dollar send 4 dollars when you include the flat fee! That seems absurd to me....

menaz 07-01-03 02:39 PM

First of all, he shouldnt be tacking on paypal charges to your transaction, that is against paypal policy. Just like merchants cant add an extra charge because you pay with a credit card, cause it IS illegal. Paypal charges 30 some cents as a flat fee + a percentage of the total (cant remember off the top of my head the actual charges). But the seller should eat up all that cost.

Groucho 07-01-03 02:42 PM

Pee in his butt. That's not right.

jpcamb 07-01-03 02:51 PM

I have mixed feelings on making them eat the cost, they had some language in the auction regarding passing the fees, the item is $2.79 and he's charging 90 cents to ship so which is what it will cost them to ship.... I'm happy enough to mail a check off and make them shag their butt to the bank....

Just curious if he was trying to profit on the paypal part...

Thanks for the replies.
Jeff

jpcamb 07-01-03 02:57 PM

oh and a big dope slap to me, I was multiplying by 2.9 instead of .0029 so its ~52 cents not over a dollar for that amount I'm slightly ahead after stamps envlope etc. plus I get my stuff faster. :D

Boot 07-01-03 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Pee in his butt. That's not right.
Pee in his butt? :whofart:

El Scorcho 07-01-03 03:39 PM

49 arms?

WTF?

D-Ball 07-01-03 03:51 PM

It's against ebay's policy for the seller to pass along the paypal fee to you.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...urcharges.html

Borst 07-01-03 08:45 PM

I'd forward that to both Ebay and Paypal because they can't charge you for it. One day i was bored and following a couple auctions I had up on Ebay and someone else was selling the same thing for a lower buy it now but said if you pay by paypal include $5 extra to cover fees, I reported it to Ebay and they cancel his auctions and mine sold above his buy it now :P

menaz 07-01-03 09:06 PM

I dont know about ruining somebodys auctions and ebay account for 49 cents, that seems kind of crappy too.

Borst 07-02-03 12:52 AM

Originally posted by menaz
I dont know about ruining somebodys auctions and ebay account for 49 cents, that seems kind of crappy too.
So being charged an extra 3-5% for stuff wouldn't bother you? especially since it's illegal, if I went somewhere to buy a dvd and at the register they tacked on an extra 3-5% just cause I pay by credit card or whatever I wouldn't be real happy

They could easily add in the paypal fees to thier shipping and handling charge, most all people do this by charging $4 for something like a dvd and clearly state it'll ship 1st class mail (which costs like $1.25) but really if they are going to accept Paypal they should just be ready to accept the fees invovled with it and not pass it on to customers.

Troy Stiffler 07-04-03 09:36 AM

Yea, circumventing the PayPal fees to your shipping and handling costs is the best thing to do. People who don't do that are just dumb.

I side with making people pay extra for PayPal. Their fees are just flat out ridiculous. It's no so bad when accepting a credit card, and paying .30 + 5%. That's only a little more than other credit card companies charge. BUT, charging that much to move from PayPal account to PayPal account is just a rip-off.

For anyone who wants to learn more about the unethical activities, and downsides to PayPal, visit http://www.paypalsucks.com/ I know, I know, the web address sounds lame and childish, but if you plan on accepting large sums of money through PayPal, you really should read their forum.

I actually give a discount (on large ticket items, probably $700+) to people who use BidPay.Com. With BidPay, you'll never have to worry about fraudulant credit card charge-backs, and everything is much more safe. WIth PayPal, anyone with an unconfirmed address can do a credit card charge-back up to 180 days after the payment was made. And PayPal does NOT cover you at all. I had to learn the hard way. Luckily, I've only had a few hundred in chargebacks over the past two years.

On top of that, to send $700 through BidPay is MUCH cheaper than the fees at PayPal. Also, the customer can still use a credit card.

uteotw 07-10-03 03:40 PM

Originally posted by D-Ball
It's against ebay's policy for the seller to pass along the paypal fee to you.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...urcharges.html

Exactly. End of story. Any smart seller with a business/premier paypal account will simply adjust his "S/H" charges instead of telling the buyer to pay for the paypal charges.

falken 07-18-03 07:55 AM

Originally posted by uteotw
Exactly. End of story. Any smart seller with a business/premier paypal account will simply adjust his "S/H" charges instead of telling the buyer to pay for the paypal charges.
Yup. On big ticket items I always add to the S&H charges to make up some some of the fees. Of course on small items I usually screw myself by only charging $3.00 shipping and shipping out priority mail ($3.85). Though on small items I always offer insurance for $2 also, but I self insure, so I get to keep that money. Of course anything damaged or missing in transit I have to refund the money out of pocket.