Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix Patent on Rental Service

Old 06-30-03, 10:20 PM

Netflix Patent on Rental Service

Has any heard about this patent? They patented certain aspects of the online monthly subscription service. I personally think this is bull***t, because they're trying to get rid of their competition the cowardly way. Have we heard of "Let the better company win". Instead of actually trying to compete and give good service, they weasol themselves out from the competition. Know that they can get rid of the competition with the patent route, they can continue being crappy and not having to improve to compete with better company's. Just my opinion of course, but Netflix sucks and they maybe the only company to offer the monthly rental service before long. It may have to come to going back to Hollywood Video.
Old 07-01-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they don't secure a patent, someone else will and then sue to claim royalties. They are only protecting their own business practice. And keep in mind, they have not threatened to do anything to the other online DVD rental companies out there. IMO, if Netflix holds the patent and does nothing, this shows a lot of class.

They still have my business.

Last edited by cliffzig; 07-01-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-12-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

This was in Video Store magazine recently. It's a good read. I'm quite unsure how you can patent a business model, but I'm not expert on patents. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out especially since everyone (Blockbuster, Wal-mart, Albertson's) are now offering the subscription model of rentals.
Old 07-12-03, 11:41 PM

As for patenting business models, Amazon patented (and sued Barnes & Noble.com over) "1 Click" purchasing. (Patent # 5,960,411) (Amazon.com, Inc. v. Barnesandnoble.com, Inc., 239 F.3d 1343)
Old 07-14-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just curious... On average, how much do you guys pay for rentals and rental programs through Netfilx? Is it really cheaper than spending $4.06 at Hollywood Video for 5-Day rentals?
Old 07-14-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Less than $1 per DVD for me. I get a much better selection than Blockbuster and I don't have to drive to or from the video store.
Old 07-15-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
Just curious... On average, how much do you guys pay for rentals and rental programs through Netfilx? Is it really cheaper than spending $4.06 at Hollywood Video for 5-Day rentals?
If you cycle through at least 5 discs a month, it's better than $4.00 per rental. Then also consider there is never a late fee, and the selection is unmatched by any corner store. And finally the discs just show up at your house without making a special trip anywhere.

Personally, my usage has ranged from as low as 2 per month, to as high 14. More typically, I'll average around 2-3 discs per week.
Old 07-17-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I love Netflix a lot....but the past week or two, shipping has been really slow. Usually when I send a disc back, they get it the next day, and that disc is shipped out that day. So it's like 3-4 days total to get a disc

Day 1: Return Disc
Day 2: Disc Arrives at Netflix, new Disc Shipped
Day 3: New Disc Arrives

I actually had to claim "lost disc" on my past shipment, it was over 7 days, so i was allowed.....